Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strata Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it does raise serious questions about priorities.

Own my house & apartment outright.
On good coin.
Run my own business.

Moved to Melbourne just over a year ago and don't know what areas are good or bad - but I found Caroline Springs nice - Most places out there are $400k+.

Let me know if this is ok with you or If I should do something else with my money...

Reactions: shanelord
Own my house & apartment outright.
On good coin.
Run my own business.

Moved to Melbourne just over a year ago and don't know what areas are good or bad - but I found Caroline Springs nice - Most places out there are $400k+.

Let me know if this is ok with you or If I should do something else with my money...
I think my point is a $400k house is grossly disproportionate for a $160k car. Realistically most people wouldn't even consider a car that expensive until they are sitting in a place with a value of multiple of 7 figures. It's basic economics: not spending a large proportion of your wealth on a depreciating asset, and spending a good chunk of it on a primary residents, which is free from capital gains tax. You can spend your money how you like, but that is really against the grain.

• Disagree
I think my point is a $400k house is grossly disproportionate for a $160k car. Realistically most people wouldn't even consider a car that expensive until they are sitting in a place with a value of multiple of 7 figures. It's basic economics: not spending a large proportion of your wealth on a depreciating asset, and spending a good chunk of it on a primary residents, which is free from capital gains tax. You can spend your money how you like, but that is really against the grain.
Well, I might get your disapproval too, but I am actually renting. My MS is a little cheaper than $160K though

Hmm, so you are saying that if he wants a Tesla he should move to an area where average houses are $1M? You have no idea about his real financial situation at all and this is totally irrelevant. Even more insulting to say that people who live in country areas where an average house is $400k (or less) shouldn't drive what they like - even if they are debt free with their own business and good income. Newsflash - in lots of areas in Australia the average house price is under $200k, but that doesn't mean that all of the properties there are at that value. Lots of high net worth individuals live in regional areas because they like it.

Agreed that most cars are not a great investment, but you are coming across here as a bit elitist.

Hmm, so you are saying that if he wants a Tesla he should move to an area where average houses are $1M? You have no idea about his real financial situation at all and this is totally irrelevant. Even more insulting to say that people who live in country areas where an average house is $400k (or less) shouldn't drive what they like - even if they are debt free with their own business and good income. Newsflash - in lots of areas in Australia the average house price is under $200k, but that doesn't mean that all of the properties there are at that value. Lots of high net worth individuals live in regional areas because they like it.

Agreed that most cars are not a great investment, but you are coming across here as a bit elitist.

We aren't talking regional here, we are talking about a low socio economic area with high crime (several murders in the last year). It's an area full of low cost mcmansions. What I am saying is that Teslas are great, but if you're spending half of what the property is worth on a car, then you perhaps should look at your priorities. I'm not meaning to sound elitist. I see the same thing where I work (I work in a low socio economic western suburb of Melbourne). Miles and miles or $300k and $400k Metricon homes, and out the front, Range Rover Sports, C63s and RS4s. It's fiscally irresponsible. And no, I'm not saying that if he wants a Tesla he should move to an area where the house price is $1m, but I am saying he'd be much better off spending the money he spent on a car moving to a better area, instead of sacrificing living conditions for what at the end of the day, is just a car.

• Disagree
We aren't talking regional here, we are talking about a low socio economic area with high crime (several murders in the last year). It's an area full of low cost mcmansions. What I am saying is that Teslas are great, but if you're spending half of what the property is worth on a car, then you perhaps should look at your priorities. I'm not meaning to sound elitist. I see the same thing where I work (I work in a low socio economic western suburb of Melbourne). Miles and miles or $300k and $400k Metricon homes, and out the front, Range Rover Sports, C63s and RS4s. It's fiscally irresponsible. And no, I'm not saying that if he wants a Tesla he should move to an area where the house price is $1m, but I am saying he'd be much better off spending the money he spent on a car moving to a better area, instead of sacrificing living conditions for what at the end of the day, is just a car.

If you haven’t guessed based on others responses - you’re on your own here.

Maybe he likes where he lives? I know many very wealthy people that choose where to live because they like it or have an emotional attachment. Maybe they even want better for the neighborhood. Raising a socio economic area up takes time but is possible.

You may be correct on some of your points, but the forceful and judgemental way you have stated these is the issue. What people do with their money may possibly be fiscally irresponsible (or it may not in this case) but how does that impact me or you?

The fact is you are sounding elitist.

Based on this I won’t be responding any further to your posts so please treat my questions as purely rhetorical.

Enjoy your Tesla.

Reactions: MDK
And no, I'm not saying that if he wants a Tesla he should move to an area where the house price is $1m, but I am saying he'd be much better off spending the money he spent on a car moving to a better area, instead of sacrificing living conditions for what at the end of the day, is just a car.

I know that this thread has gone off topic in a big way, but I need to put in my two bits worth.

Why do you think that he is sacrificing living conditions for what at the end of the day, is just a car?

Well, I live within a two suburb radius of Mt Druitt in Western Sydney in a unit block measuring 78sq m with a lock up garage and I have a Model 3 on reservation, have not paid more than $20K for an ICE car in my life but I am willing to sacrifice 4-5 times that for a Tesla because of the WOW factor. If I had to buy another ICE car in the future, I would go back to not paying more than $20K for it

Even if I had a $1 M come into my bank account, I would not move out of where I am living because it suits me not to do so and I have never sacrificed my living conditions. Obviously others may beg to differ

One should not be concerned about how others spend their own money, one should be concerned how others treat the planet.

I absolutely agree 100% in what Blue Heaven says above. Well said

Yes, oddly enough, some put the future of the world ahead of themselves, or, if we want to show self-interest then we at least show it in the interests of our grandchildren not having to breathe poisonous air and drink poisoned water...etc.. The mystery to me, anyway, is why or politicians (who have children and grand children) don't seem to get this?

Just an update to all of this.

Body Corporate approved the install, There will be a few members there to witness the install. For some reason they don't trust me (or the sparky) to connect it to my meter.

One member went to the fire station to get them to sign a letter saying they wont attend if the place burns down... They thankfully got laughed out of the fire house.
I don't know what I've done to piss them off for them to take this action, but anyway....

My X is currently on a boat making its way over here now and collecting the wall connector next week sometime :)

Just an update to all of this.

Body Corporate approved the install, There will be a few members there to witness the install. For some reason they don't trust me (or the sparky) to connect it to my meter.

One member went to the fire station to get them to sign a letter saying they wont attend if the place burns down... They thankfully got laughed out of the fire house.
I don't know what I've done to piss them off for them to take this action, but anyway....

My X is currently on a boat making its way over here now and collecting the wall connector next week sometime :)

They went to the Fire station??? This is better than any Soap Opera, keep us up to date with all the details of the install.
It will all be worth it when your X arrives, many years of happy driviing Icey.

I shake my head.... Someone like that should should not have that power (albeit such little power)

The condition of the install is that the chairperson witness the install to ensure that its connected to my power and not common property.... Ridiculous, but as long as it gets done.....
You can invite him to inspect my installation if it would help, it's been there 3 years now and the apartment block is yet to burn down

Reactions: powerfactor