Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strategies to Reduce Winter Battery Range Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are only making a short trip (<10km, or <15 min) and the battery is cold, turn on range mode will prevent your car from trying to actively warm up the battery during the short drive. While battery warming is useful for longer trips, it waste energy for short trips because the battery will be warm once you get there and it will cool off again before you drive.

When making longer trips, keep range mode off, it will allow battery to properly warm up and give you better efficiency and regen if the drive is long enough.

If you are only making a short trip (<10km, or <15 min) and the battery is cold, turn on range mode will prevent your car from trying to actively warm up the battery during the short drive. While battery warming is useful for longer trips, it waste energy for short trips because the battery will be warm once you get there and it will cool off again before you drive.

When making longer trips, keep range mode off, it will allow battery to properly warm up and give you better efficiency and regen if the drive is long enough.
Snowstorm, this is a great tip. I will try this in the days to come. We got these "nice" freezing gusty winds which affect some range also :) The issue with this is however the generative braking. I wonder if in the range mode, the regenerative braking comes back at all. At least now, I start getting some of it back as I drive. Also, my trips are 1 hr long so you are correct. with < 15 min , we are not getting regen back :(