Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strategy on Long Drive

How do you approach a long drive using your NAV system?

• Destination to destination.

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Supercharger to supercharger

Votes: 58 62.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is a button that shows a charging icon unintuitive?
Because when someone DID NOT press that button, why did they get turned off? You keep harping on ways to later overcome a programming failure that does something wrong. I am trying to get people to be honest and admit it is a failure in the first place that should not require these subsequent mitigation steps to correct it.

I've been doing this for over 6.5 years, since before the Nav even had the ability to pick Superchargers. This "Beta Trip Planner" feature, which tries to pick your Superchargers for you has an awful fatal flaw that has bitten me and several other people, so don't blindly trust it.

The fatal flaw is two-fold:
First, whoever programmed it set the preference to be "fewest stops possible" and all else be damned!! So it will have ridiculously long charging times to go up near 100% full and then driving down into single digit % just to try to skip over Supercharger stops. It's insane and not a good way to travel.

And the second part is that when it has chosen the Superchargers it wants you to use, it HIDES the others along the way off the map! That can really catch people where they don't see any other fallback options in the middle because they are hidden, so they are gritting their teeth and white-knuckling to make a really long stretch happen that didn't need to be that way.

My car gave me the recommendation to charge up to 100% in Grand Junction, CO and drive non-stop to Silverthorne, CO, arriving with 7% left. That would already be crazy to begin with, but it was winter and below freezing and all uphill! So there was me, driving about 50 mph on I-70 with minimal heat to make this work because I didn't think I had any other choice. I only later found out there was a Supercharger halfway in the middle, in Glenwood Springs that the car had hidden from me that would have made it easy.

So I will sometimes plot a whole trip at the start, just to get a look at what the ballpark of the whole thing is going to look like, and sometimes here and there on the route, but if any of the stops look questionable or a charge time over about 40-50 minutes, it's probably doing something wrong, and I will cancel it and zoom out to look at where the Superchargers actually are to see if it's skipping something and making it unnecessarily difficult.
Hmmm.... my S always showed all chargers in the map area with the current activity at all sites. If I tap on a nearer charger-or further one, car will adjust to that stop, unless beyond the range. Not sure why yours does differently. Supercharger activity is a newer addition to navigate.

Hmmm.... my S always showed all chargers in the map area with the current activity at all sites.
It does show them if you're just looking at the map and don't have a route plotted in navigation. Once you plot a route, then it hides all of the ones it plans for you to skip and not charge at.
If I tap on a nearer charger-or further one, car will adjust to that stop, unless beyond the range. Not sure why yours does differently.
Really? I have not seen that functionality yet, of allowing you to change the Supercharger stops to use. That would be uniquely tough, though, with the aforementioned hiding of the skipped stops, so if you look along your route, you can't even see that there are any other Superchargers along the route that could be other options.