Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strategy on Long Drive

How do you approach a long drive using your NAV system?

• Destination to destination.

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Supercharger to supercharger

Votes: 58 62.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to be driving from Sacramento to Seattle in my M3SR+. I'm wondering what approach people take with their navigation system. I like keeping track of the entire trip so I am tempted to enter the trip from my front door to my destination. On the other hand, I've seen people like Out of Spec Motoring, who seem to go from one SC to the next. Ultimately, I might just try one method on the way up and the other on the way down but I am curious about how the community might approach this. How do you approach a long drive? I know some of the more experienced Tesla drivers will have some good suggestions.

I leave the car's nav set on Supercharger to Supercharger, and then I use the car's browser to pull up both abetterrouteplanner.com and Tesla Waze.

Once you use Tesla Waze and abetterrouteplanner.com, you'll be hooked. And it'll make you want to send off Tweets to Elon asking why the car's nav isn't better. ;)

I'm a fanboi, for sure, but I would like to see Tesla implement some additional functionality into the built in nav.

If your goal is to spend the least total amount of time stopped to charge, it is best to stop for shorter but more frequent charging sessions. That is, if your route will allow for it.

I'm going to be driving from Sacramento to Seattle in my M3SR+. I'm wondering what approach people take with their navigation system. I like keeping track of the entire trip so I am tempted to enter the trip from my front door to my destination. On the other hand, I've seen people like Out of Spec Motoring, who seem to go from one SC to the next. Ultimately, I might just try one method on the way up and the other on the way down but I am curious about how the community might approach this. How do you approach a long drive? I know some of the more experienced Tesla drivers will have some good suggestions.

Car nav, use SC to SC. Google maps, use destination to destination. Or use ABRP.

I've been doing this for over 6.5 years, since before the Nav even had the ability to pick Superchargers. This "Beta Trip Planner" feature, which tries to pick your Superchargers for you has an awful fatal flaw that has bitten me and several other people, so don't blindly trust it.

The fatal flaw is two-fold:
First, whoever programmed it set the preference to be "fewest stops possible" and all else be damned!! So it will have ridiculously long charging times to go up near 100% full and then driving down into single digit % just to try to skip over Supercharger stops. It's insane and not a good way to travel.

And the second part is that when it has chosen the Superchargers it wants you to use, it HIDES the others along the way off the map! That can really catch people where they don't see any other fallback options in the middle because they are hidden, so they are gritting their teeth and white-knuckling to make a really long stretch happen that didn't need to be that way.

My car gave me the recommendation to charge up to 100% in Grand Junction, CO and drive non-stop to Silverthorne, CO, arriving with 7% left. That would already be crazy to begin with, but it was winter and below freezing and all uphill! So there was me, driving about 50 mph on I-70 with minimal heat to make this work because I didn't think I had any other choice. I only later found out there was a Supercharger halfway in the middle, in Glenwood Springs that the car had hidden from me that would have made it easy.

So I will sometimes plot a whole trip at the start, just to get a look at what the ballpark of the whole thing is going to look like, and sometimes here and there on the route, but if any of the stops look questionable or a charge time over about 40-50 minutes, it's probably doing something wrong, and I will cancel it and zoom out to look at where the Superchargers actually are to see if it's skipping something and making it unnecessarily difficult.

Last edited:
I've been doing this for over 6.5 years, since before the Nav even had the ability to pick Superchargers. This "Beta Trip Planner" feature, which tries to pick your Superchargers for you has an awful fatal flaw that has bit me and several other people, so don't blindly trust it.

First, whoever programmed it set the preference to be "fewest stops possible" and all else be damned!! So it will have ridiculously long charging times to go up near 100% full and then driving down into single digit % just to try to skip over Supercharger stops. It's insane and not a good way to travel.

And the second part is that when it has chosen the Superchargers it wants you to use, it HIDES the others along the way off the map! That can really catch people where they don't see any other fallback options in the middle because they are hidden, so they are gritting their teeth and white-knuckling to make a really long stretch happen that didn't need to be that way.

My car gave me the recommendation to charge up to 100% in Grand Junction, CO and drive non-stop to Silverthorne, CO, arriving with 7% left. That would already be crazy to begin with, but it was winter and below freezing and all uphill! So there was me, driving about 50 mph on I-70 with minimal heat to make this work because I didn't think I had any other choice. I only later found out there was a Supercharger halfway in the middle, in Glenwood Springs that the car had hidden from me that would have made it easy.

So I will sometimes plot a whole trip at the start, just to get a look at what the ballpark of the whole thing is going to look like, and sometimes here and there on the route, but if any of the stops look questionable or a charge time over about 40-50 minutes, it's probably doing something wrong, and I will cancel it and zoom out to look at where the Superchargers actually are to see if it's skipping something and making it unnecessarily difficult.

I havent been bitten by this yet, but understand exactly what it will do thanks to people like you informing others of this flaw. The first part of the flaw is just annoying (trying to minimize stops), but the second (hiding the superchargers in between) is awful and really should be addressed by tesla.

Until they do, your suggestion of looking at the overall trip, but then planning supercharger to supercharger in the nav seems to be the best compromise.

Thanks for continuing to inform people of this.

Exactly! I see this too. I would love for Tesla to allow us to pick which superchargers we want on our route. When I was coming back from Reno a while back, it insisted I stop at the 72kwh superchargers in San Ramon when I didn't even realize there was a 150kwh supercharger another exit down. The route planner hid this from me. I had plenty of range to make it there and could have charged way faster. On the same route next time, I just plotted supercharger to supercharger so I had more control on my route.

I find the trip planner generally picks stupid superchargers that will make your trip take a lot longer, so I tend to pick my own charging stops and navigate separately to each one.

An example from your neck of the woods - today I drove from Fresno to Sacramento along SR-99. If I simply put in my destination, the trip planner wanted me to stop in Modesto when my battery is ~40% full, then charge to like 90% to make it to my destination.

Given there are also chargers in Manteca and Elk Grove for me to choose from, stopping in Modesto is just dumb.

Manteca is slightly better, but my strategy was to drive all the way to Elk Grove, where I arrived with 14% left and was able to add 50% SoC to my battery in less than 30 minutes. Stopping in Modesto and charging from 40-90% would have taken WAY longer.

So. Plan your trip and override the computer, because quite often the computer is dumb.

How do you approach a long drive? I know some of the more experienced Tesla drivers will have some good suggestions.

Lots of good suggestions & info here. The full trip routing is pretty garbage but is good for an initial overview (and you should review it before starting, so you can see where it is being dumb). Get an ABRP account and get it connected but don't bother trying to use it on the in-car browser (too slow and has to reload every time you switch away from it - it is nearly useless and borderline dangerous when driving) - use the phone app and get live data from the car - ABRP phone app is nice and quick and you can use it while you are stopped to charge.
After that, I would just use the in-car Nav to navigate from Supercharger to Supercharger; don't do the whole trip in the Nav.

- Since you have an SR+, the 250kW Superchargers are going to be less of a bonus for you (otherwise I would strongly recommend them) - though the lack of sharing IS a plus even for an SR+ especially if you are traveling at a busy time (weekends). They also have the benefit of working better. So check out where the 250kW Superchargers are (Williams and Red Bluff - don't know anything about Washington State, but it looks like you'll probably want to hit Kelso). Hit them preferentially whenever you can (but don't do non-optimal stuff to do so). They are awesome (especially for LR vehicles).

- With an SR, you're sometimes going to have to go at a fairly leisurely pace, due to having to charge fairly close to 80% for one of the legs in Oregon (specifically: Grants Pass to Eugene (Springfield), or Klamath to Eugene) . For the other, shorter legs, just adopt a quick hop strategy. Aim to get to the Supercharger at 5% according to the car Nav, but make sure the car tells you it will arrive at greater than 5% (so, 6% is fine) (otherwise it will be hassling you about slowing down to make it to your destination, nearly right away - it's usually wrong in summer time, and usually nothing a little mild drafting at 80mph can't fix). It may still hassle you if you depart at 6% arrival charge, but unless something crazy happens, if you start towards the next Supercharger at 6% or above, you'll almost certainly be fine unless you're driving 85mph or you have a bad headwind (pay attention to this!!!).

While en route or at your current Supercharger (better to do this when stopped but some fiddling when driving is nearly inevitable - don't worry, the car drives itself :p - yes I am kidding), figure out where you want to stop next based on station utilization, then plug it in on the Nav and look at what it tells you you will arrive at. And charge just enough to get there (with whatever margin makes you comfortable).

I drove from San Diego to Portland in a day (4AM-10:45PM) recently in my 3P+, and I had 8 Supercharger stops (Tejon Ranch, Kettleman City, Gustine, Williams, Red Bluff, Shasta, Grants Pass, Springfield). I could have done it with 7 (skip Williams, and charge in Patterson instead of Gustine - they are both 150kW) - I did hit only 7 on the way back (over two days). I had no particular strategy in advance other than to minimize charging time (not what the car does, as mentioned), and I adjusted as needed. But I did make that Gustine mistake. I believe I benefited from very high density altitude on my trip - car was always super pessimistic vs. actual results. I probably could have cut 10-15 minutes of charging off my travel time by cutting things closer.

As others have said, I would just recommend looking at all the Supercharger locations on a map before going so you understand what are all of your options. Note you can also flip over to display Superchargers while in Nav mode (right hand side), and then turn them off again, and it will go back to your prior Nav directions - this wasn't obvious to me on my first road trip. You don't lose your Nav details by clicking on the Supercharger status and location screen. But you can see all the Superchargers along the route that way (with utilization), and even quickly change to navigate to a new one of your choosing if it makes sense. I don't think this is likely for you, since you won't have the high Supercharger location complexity of central California.

Also, especially if you are going at a busy time, I strongly recommend skipping the Grants Pass supercharger and hitting the one in Klamath Falls instead. It's a nicer, more engaging drive (more scenic and more twisty), and it really isn't that much longer. The Grants Pass Supercharger can be a sh**show - half of the stations don't work very well, and it can get very busy even at times that are not busy (I got lucky to get a decent rate there on my way up, and went through Klamath on my way back!). Klamath Falls really isn't all that nice, but at least there are plenty of stalls with less use on them. ABRP recommends Klamath it looks like.

Note that Shasta Supercharger shows as two Superchargers on top of one another - it's kind of confusing. Go to the larger 150kW station - don't even know where the 120kW chargers are located. There's multiple piles of human excrement by the propane tank behind the Superchargers in Shasta, by the way. Might be best to actually use a public restroom if you don't fear the 'rona too much.

Also, if you get a crap charge rate (be familiar with what to expect - print out an approximate taper chart for your vehicle somewhere to refer to), don't be afraid to immediately switch Superchargers. At the 150kW stations, this garbage happens about 25% of the time, in my experience.

Summary: memorize all Superchargers and their capabilities prior to starting your trip. Try to make an optimal plan (maximize time spent charging at low SoC, so try to arrive at 5-10% charge - or lower, if you want to live on the edge - I didn't). Adjust based on utilization and the call of nature if necessary.

Grants Pass was the busiest Supercharger I encountered on my trip (there and back) - with the exception of Santa Clarita on the Friday before Labor Day, I guess (it actually wasn't that bad - no lines - and it was 250kW so it didn't matter much!)

Looking quickly at ABRP, it recommends a stop in Vancouver. I'm not sure whether that is the best - and it likely depends on conditions and how busy things are. You should be able to find out in real time. It might make more sense to make just a quick stop in Springfield rather than a longer one, and then hit Woodburn quickly as well - just enough to get you to Kelso. This is assuming you can't go Eugene to Kelso, which you probably can - but it will cost you in charge time. Under no circumstances hit the 72kW Supercharger at Washington Square Mall (makes no sense).

You also have to plan strategically for your longer stops. If you plan to stop and eat and it might be a while, that's an opportunity to do some non-optimal charging that allows you to skip a Supercharger. As an example, if you eat at the Springfield Supercharger, you might be able to charge for a while there (an additional 10-20 minutes or so), and then be able to easily make 250kW Kelso (skipping 150kW Vancouver). So it's good to think about that sort of thing in advance. Because then that non-optimal charge isn't actually costing you any time - and in a way, it may save you some time - certainly saves some hassle.

By the way, I also saw that Springfield Supercharger got pretty busy - but it was quiet by the time I got there. It seemed to get busy between 4 and 7PM. I think it's probably all the U of O people charging at the end of their day? I have no idea.

Last edited:
I've been doing this for over 6.5 years, since before the Nav even had the ability to pick Superchargers. This "Beta Trip Planner" feature, which tries to pick your Superchargers for you has an awful fatal flaw that has bitten me and several other people, so don't blindly trust it.

good insight, thanks for sharing.

It is for exactly this reason that I used ABRP to plan out our 7,000 mile road trip! ABRP does a remarkably good job in estimating usage *if you give it the right parameters*. Garbage in, garbage out.

So what I would do is run each day's segment as a separate trip in ABRP, and then just set each supercharger as a destination in the Tesla nav. Worked absolutely brilliantly.

So I don't need to use the live routing with ABRP, but I got to use its excellent algorithms for charging optimization. Was also handy to have the iOS app "Superchargers" so I could scope out the area - bathrooms, etc - nearby each charger.

I took a lot of flak on a Facebook group for planning to use ABRP, but I found it almost dead-on balls accurate. I daresay those folks should unwedge their cranium from whatever orifice it's in.

I find the trip planner generally picks stupid superchargers that will make your trip take a lot longer, so I tend to pick my own charging stops and navigate separately to each one. (snip)

+1. Not all superchargers are equal. Even ignoring the fact that one might have amenities (such as restaurants) you prefer, there are some superchargers that are just off the highway and others that can add as much as 20 minutes (I'm talking about you Peru, IL) to get to/from.

You know if you are stressed on a drive regarding your ability to reach the next supercharger, you can always cancel the navigation and ask for the nearest superchargers. This way it will show you all the available superchargers in your area.
However I strongly suggest, as other have, to plan your trip ahead of time for peace of mind.
(Driving Tesla since 2015)

Reactions: X-pilot
Very simple (as long as there are many supercharge stations along your route): start trip at 100%. At around 50% select a station further along route. See what it shows in % when you would arrive there. Shoot for as close to 10%. If it’s higher try the next one. As you are approaching the one you chose (and are around 20% remaining charge) cancel your navigation and select the next station. As long as it’s double-digit remaining with its estimation, go to that one. BUT look at each station and how far they take you from your route. Also, charge to 80% at each station.

Attachments

• 29FC6C59-DDBA-44FD-9726-FE0DA1DFB779.jpeg
    29FC6C59-DDBA-44FD-9726-FE0DA1DFB779.jpeg
    747 KB · Views: 101
Before I left on my first road trip with my LR model Y I went to the Tesla site and looked at the route they planned for me and the Superchargers they recommended stopping at. I then looked at the map of all the Superchargers and decided which ones I thought would work best. Then instead of putting my final destination into the gps I entered the first Supercharger I wanted to stop at etc.

The Routing function is a great tool but it should be used as a tool without it taking over your trip.

Reactions: theothertom
Lot's of good advise here. However the recommendation to shoot for close to 10% arrival charge is too low from my experience. Partly because of the way I drive and where I drive. On Hwy 5 the average speed is 85 mph. So that significantly cuts into your battery.

I've had 3 instances where Tesla told me I would arrive with between 10-18% and I barely made it. The first time was from Vacaville to Chico and there was a horrible headwind. The 18% estimate dropped to -5% with a 100 miles to go. I ended up drafting behind a semi-truck for the entire drive and arrived with +4% charge.

Recently from SLO to Salinas it initially said I would arrive with 15%, but the car had an extra 1000 lbs in it. So shortly after leaving slow it was showing negative arrival charge. I ended up driving 50 mph for the next 2 hours to arrive with 6%.

Experiences like that are not fun so I now try to always have 25% arrival charge. I went from LA to San Jose this past weekend and I had to add one extra stop to achieve this. It added 15 mins to my trip but I had zero stress.

Oh and ABRP is what I use on all my trips.

Agreed, I always look at the suggested route and then see if it makes sense or if I want to do something different. For significantly long trips, I use one or two of the alternative route planners and force stops to see how my modifications pan out, then pick and choose. And of course, one can always make an instantaneous call on the road, and it is good to have your laptop at hand.

I won't forget one trip from San Jose, CA to Paso Robles, CA. Only about 140 miles, but I wasn't fully charged to begin with.

The nav was set on charging in Gilroy, which after only about 30 miles would put me in Gilroy with still a bit high SOC, making for slower charging, and would put me in Paso will less charge than otherwise, so my plan was to charge in Salinas, about another 50 miles or so (I forget).

So keeping the nav on, I blasted past Gilroy, expecting the nav to change the stop to Salinas. It didn't, and kept harping on me to turn back. Just for giggles, I didn't touch it just to see how persistent it would be.

It didn't give up. Kept asking me to turn back to Gilroy, eventually informing me to also slow down to 60mph or I wouldn't make it back to Gilroy, while Salinas was getting closer and closer. As I took the exit to Salinas I had had enough and canceled the route. When I reset it, the nav rerouted the trip and said hey, let's charge in Salinas.... ‍♂️