Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streak Free Windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been using newspaper and your favorite cleaner for decades. Try it before spending another dollar on anything else.

TOTALLY works -it's the best by far! Even the guy at my local auto parts shop didn't want to sell my anything but said newspaper.

Dumb thing is I had to go to a store to buy one and spend $2.25 for a glorified leaflet. Who reads papers any more? lol

The exact ones I have, I can no longer find on Amazon...but these are very similar. I bought a 12 pack a few years ago and they are still going strong. I wash them in hot water with Tide with Bleach powder detergent. NO liquid softener when washing and NO dryer sheets when drying:

And you say that you have no lint whatsoever? I use green glass towels by The Rag Company, but they tend to bunch up.

I was also considering these. Swedish Wholesale Swedish Dish Cloths - Pack of 10, Reusable, Absorbent Hand Towels for Kitchen, Bathroom and Cleaning Counters - Cellulose Sponge Cloth - Assorted https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX6TRQ...abc_GHC43SA7974QWGM3SR0P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Reactions: Deutsch100
And you say that you have no lint whatsoever? I use green glass towels by The Rag Company, but they tend to bunch up.

I was also considering these. Swedish Wholesale Swedish Dish Cloths - Pack of 10, Reusable, Absorbent Hand Towels for Kitchen, Bathroom and Cleaning Counters - Cellulose Sponge Cloth - Assorted https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX6TRQ...abc_GHC43SA7974QWGM3SR0P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
After a few washes, I have found NO lint on my white cotton glass towels.

I have used these Swedish cloths before, and being married to a Swede and having spent A LOT of time in Sweden...they make amazing linens. But, these reusable cloths you posted the link about are more like a cleaning sponge and do not work great on glass or mirrors!

And when I lived in Germany 2x and when I go back to be with family...I have found incredible linens there too. Most for kitchen, but I use for my cars :) LOL

After a few washes, I have found NO lint on my white cotton glass towels.

I have used these Swedish cloths before, and being married to a Swede and having spent A LOT of time in Sweden...they make amazing linens. But, these reusable cloths you posted the link about are more like a cleaning sponge and do not work great on glass or mirrors!

And when I lived in Germany 2x and when I go back to be with family...I have found incredible linens there too. Most for kitchen, but I use for my cars :) LOL
Do you generally stay away from microfiber?

I agree. There is some film on the inside windshield and it’s next to impossible to remove. I have tried all of the tricks known to detailing.
it's all the newly manufactured plastics off-gassing unto the inside window glass. It's actually getting all over on the complete interior but we just notice it most on the glass.

Quote "Throughout the lifetime of a vehicle, the interior components release these carbon-based chemical compounds through a process called off-gassing. ... Car off-gassing is of particular concern because a car's interior is a small, enclosed space that can quickly become filled with harmful levels of off-gassed VOCs" google search

Invisible Glass cleaner and a clean microfiber cloth do a good job of removing new vehicle off-gassing film from the windows and windshield. You may have to clean the glass twice to fully remove the film. (The off-gassing film may return in a few weeks but in between your windows won't be cloudy or fog up from your breath while driving in cooler A.M. temperatures.)

Agree! Leaves little fibers all over the window. Between no lint cotton towels and the Swedish cloths which ones do you prefer and why if I may ask?
Well..the Swedish cloths are more of a scrubbing sponge (great for counters and smooth top electric or Induction electric cook tops). They are too small and hard to use for large glass areas. I swear by and only use no lint cotton towels and Invisible glass spray (not foam). Perfect windows in and out for years and years :) And yeah...the little fibers all over the glass with microfiber towels drives me nuts!!

Well..the Swedish cloths are more of a scrubbing sponge (great for counters and smooth top electric or Induction electric cook tops). They are too small and hard to use for large glass areas. I swear by and only use no lint cotton towels and Invisible glass spray (not foam). Perfect windows in and out for years and years :) And yeah...the little fibers all over the glass with microfiber towels drives me nuts!!
I have tried so many different types of towels and types of towel material that I want to be absolutely sure that I’m choosing the right one and it sounds like this has worked for you so the link you posted earlier are you pretty sure that that is it? It?

I asked a bunch of pro detailers on a facebook forum this exact questions. The two most common answers were a damp, clean microfiber towel followed by a dry one and 50/50 isopropyl alcohol if the former doesn't work well. Most said you need literally no chemical to clean windows that aren't terribly dirty or smoked in, dog slobbered on, etc.

May I ask this? Costco sells face bath towels that are different colors and they’re smaller so I’m wondering if I can use those because those are purely cotton.

I purchased these microfiber towels from Advance Auto Parts: Autocraft Microfiber Towels

The description states lint free, lifts dirt without scratching surfaces.

87% Polyester; 13% Polyamide

I have been using these microfiber towels exclusively to clean the glass on my Model Y. I use Invisible Glass cleaner spray and these microfiber towels for excellent streak free results.

When I clean the outside of the glass I use Windex and paper towels to remove the worst of the grime. Then I finish up with Invisible Glass and these microfiber towels.

The instructions say to wash in lukewarm water with a mild detergent, drip dry or tumble dry. I wash these by hand in cold water using Woolite and hang to dry. No Heat!

Last edited:
it's all the newly manufactured plastics off-gassing unto the inside window glass. It's actually getting all over on the complete interior but we just notice it most on the glass.

Quote "Throughout the lifetime of a vehicle, the interior components release these carbon-based chemical compounds through a process called off-gassing. ... Car off-gassing is of particular concern because a car's interior is a small, enclosed space that can quickly become filled with harmful levels of off-gassed VOCs" google search
I grew up hearing old gear heads referring to it as the VINYL FOG. I get my newspapers from my neighbors on recycling day. Use anything else and your wasting money.