Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streaky Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my car yesterday and all good, except I have a streaky line down the driver side of the windscreen.

I’ve tried to buff it out from the inside and out using a micro fibre cloth but no joy. It seems like it might be inside the window. I wouldn’t be overly fussed but it’s right in my line of vision when I’m driving.

Is there a knack to getting rid of it or do I need Tesla to sort it?

Plus one for the Autoglym Car Glass Polish.

My windscreen was terrible inside when I first got it. I used IPA then Autoglym the first time to try and remove all the crap, but it was only after several cleans that it finally stopped misting up all the time. It’s fine now.

Reactions: davm22
Plus one for the Autoglym Car Glass Polish.

My windscreen was terrible inside when I first got it. I used IPA then Autoglym the first time to try and remove all the crap, but it was only after several cleans that it finally stopped misting up all the time. It’s fine now.
any particular IPA? I think I have some Brewdog in the Garage will that do?

I picked up my car yesterday and all good, except I have a streaky line down the driver side of the windscreen.

I’ve tried to buff it out from the inside and out using a micro fibre cloth but no joy. It seems like it might be inside the window. I wouldn’t be overly fussed but it’s right in my line of vision when I’m driving.

Is there a knack to getting rid of it or do I need Tesla to sort it?

Did you get this sorted? I think I have a similar line and what looks like a layer of fine dust across the surface that doesn’t seem to want to come off. I can also see what looks like a number written across the windscreen, presumably relating to production. It’s all really faint and only shows up in bright sunshine but is there.

I had a conversation with Autoglym about some residue (likely to be Carnauba wax) runs on the screen of another car that would only show in certain lighting. They recommended their Car Glass Polish and Intensive Tar Remover, the latter ~I though was odd but someone on here also says its good. For more routine stuff after the monthly wash, I use their Fast Glass.

For really, really, really stubbon stuff, I use a clay mitt and lots of elbow grease, Still working my way through that Carnauba wax. Yet to try the Intensive Tar Remover as the wax is currently not visible - colder damp, grey days is when it shows.

Non affiliate links to Halfords who currently have Buy One, Get One Half Price deal and a further 10% off if you are an AA (vehicle breakdown) member and pay in store.

Autoglym Car Glass Polish 325ml | Halfords UK
Autoglym Fast Glass 500ml | Halfords UK
Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover 325ml | Halfords UK

Did you get this sorted? I think I have a similar line and what looks like a layer of fine dust across the surface that doesn’t seem to want to come off. I can also see what looks like a number written across the windscreen, presumably relating to production. It’s all really faint and only shows up in bright sunshine but is there.

I tried Autoglym a good few times (inside and out) and it just didn’t budge at all. I ended up booking an appointment with my local service centre. They couldn’t see it... but they said they gave it a thorough clean with industrial window cleaner and it appears to be sorted now. They had it ready to be collected within a few hours

Coming back here to happily report the excellent Dartford SC cured my ‘dirty windscreen.’ I’d tried the usual Autoglym Fast Glass, then a white vinegar solution and finally gave up after the Isopropyl rubbing alcohol spray failed to shift it.

Apparently the ‘haze’ was caused by overspray but proved no match for the Tesla operative and his clay bar :).

I’ve attached a pic which hopefully shows the problem. It was only noticeable in direct sunlight but was doing my head in. :confused:

They also sorted a couple of transit caused paint chips so the cars shortly off to the detailer for an overdue ceramic coating.

E7ED806B-CE37-406C-82F9-7C5F75515067.jpeg