TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Streaming Free For a Year?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Darthbenji, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Is the data only free for a year on model 3?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No.

• Like x 1
  3. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Does that include the music streaming?

4. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Four years of free streaming.

• Informative x 1
  5. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

A buddy picked his up today and was told one year of free streaming.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

A thread of incorrect things Tesla people have said would probably be the longest thread here. They seem to be trained to never say “I don’t know”, so they just make stuff up.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  7. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

It's precisely for this, I'm not impressed with tesla service centers :(

8. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

The first Model S is now 6 years old (2102-2018) and still has free streaming... :cool:

9. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

In early 2014 they announced it was included for four years, and for four years from that date for prior cars. So by that timeline, they were supposed to announce the next version of the plan and maybe start charging for service a few months ago...

10. TT97

TT97 Active Member

The S also gives you free supercharging, not sure you can compare.

I based my statement of four years free streaming based on the owner's manual P. 91 stating "Note: Tesla also provides you with a complimentary Streaming Personal Radio account for four years." Then again, if Elon wrote the Owner's Manual, those 4 years could easily be 6-10.

• Funny x 5
    • Love x 1
  11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

I could care less about streaming. I care more about the free data. Internet. For google maps and remote access to the car.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

I don’t think there should be a problem with that. Clearly the data Tesla gets from its entire fleet is very important to their EAP and FSD development. I believe they’ll at least keep basic data access for free so that they continue collecting vast amounts of road data.

13. Tomayr

Tomayr Member

This is precisely why they have not announced any plans. I think it is very difficult for them to differentiate exactly how much data software updates and Road Planning/mapping for EAP and FSD use up in comparison to the small amount used for streaming and google maps.

14. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

that shouldn't be difficult at all

Obviously those requests are using different services, and different servers- so they should know exactly how much data each is using.

My expectation is they're planning to leverage the spacex satellite internet service once it's up and running and don't want to bother with setting up a billing system for the current system as a bridge to that since it's not ready yet.

As large #s of 3s get out there, if the spacex systems in service date slips back significantly, they may have to revisit that decision though.

15. Tomayr

Tomayr Member

IT IS difficult, I remember reading a article on it regarding incremental packets being sent.As for the SpaceX service, that simple will not be possible. It does not work the way you think it does. The antenna required on land is a flat phased array antenna the size of a large pizza box.

16. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

That doesn't really make any sense.

The car knows where each packet is going, and why (it has to- that's kind of how routing works)

This is data they already have

Pizza box yes- large isn't what I've read though

r/Starlink - Starlink FAQ

I suppose an alternative though would be to mount on fixed locations, especially with the new laws in many states granting "free" right of way to new fast mobile network equipment... and then also pair with LTE repeaters for mobile coverage of cars- dunno where they'd get the LTE frequency bandwidth from though.... possibly they could trade backhaul capacity for LTE bandwidth usage with an existing mobile company and offset their costs that way- that'd let them just stick the antennas on existing cell towers.

17. djplong

djplong Member

Yes. It's the size of a pizza box NOW.

Look what happened to cell phones.

What if the "pizza box" was somehow integrated into the frunklid?

18. Tomayr

Tomayr Member

It makes 0 sense to use Starlink for the cars. Starlink requires line of sight. Meaning that it will not work in any tunnels, garages, parking structures, underground, etc.

19. djplong

djplong Member

Satrad doesn't work in any of that, either.

Cell signals have problems with most of those as well.

20. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

The car does not "know" where each packet is going. The car does DNS resolution for the service it's trying to reach, finds an IP address that it's trying to reach and ships the packet out the default gateway for the service provider it has an IP address on.

The car doesn't know jock shot about where the packet actually goes beyond that point.

You could potentially lock it down at the app/service level so that if an owner has no paid data plan then specific apps/functions are restricted from accessing while leaving other vehicle functions alone. That is doable but not as trivial as you make it sound.