Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streaming Service Choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are workarounds (echo auto, putting a library on USB) and I could just sign up for Spotify, but I'm pretty sad about the audio options in my Y. It's the one thing that hits me every time I'm in the car. My wife and I are long time subs to SiriusXM and we're also pretty locked into the Apple ecosystem. I imagine there are reason$ for Tesla's choices and I'd guess they're locked into deals with Slacker and Spotify. That's business, but I would appreciate if other options were available via the UI like I've had in other cars.

Not a rant. Just hoping someday soon we can select other streaming services via the UI.

Reactions: Papagiorgio
I'm also a long term Sirius XM subscriber and I was really worried I would miss it a lot. I like the new software upgrade as it allowed me to completely hide the Spotify option. Honestly, I've been using Slacker and I'm really starting to like it a lot. It has a lot of great channels and seems to learn my likes pretty well. I do have Sirius XM on my phone and can play it over bluetooth but honestly haven't even done that yet and I don't think I will unless I'm on a road trip and really want to listen to something I can't get on Slacker or TuneIn.

I can kind of give Tesla a pass for not including a built-in SXM satellite tuner in the MY, AFAK the MX still has that option, but it's another $30K over the MY. I'm less forgiving when it comes to the fact that there is no way to add the SXM Streaming app to the native infotainment GUI. It's kind of a pain to get the SXM stream up and running from your phone for short duration trips and even on longer trips I would hope and bet the car's wifi antenna system has better reception then most phones so we would see less drop-outs.

Reactions: rxlawdude
When we did our first long trip (1300 miles RT) we used an ipad propped up on console with screen timeout off and streamed SiriusXM. It worked well and switching channels was easy. Not a short trip solution, but I was reminded how much I miss the service.

I don't use SiriusXM but for those that want the ability to not only stream SiriusXM programming via their smart phone but also do so hands free there is Amazon Echo Auto. Echo Auto is an always on, listening array of sensitive microphones for your vehicle. The Echo Auto device is very small, about the size of a traditional garage door opener. The Echo Auto is powered via a USB A power cable, comes with a 12V adapter for the vehicle's 12V accessory outlet. Echo Auto connects to the Alexa app on your smart phone via Bluetooth (BT). (For vehicles without BT the Echo Auto comes with a 3.5mm audio cable.) In the Model 3/Y you set the audio source to be your phone.

By using the Amazon Alexa app on your smart phone, together with the Echo Auto device, you can interact with Alexa while driving, hands free, using only your voice. With Echo Auto there is no need to press any talk buttons on the steering wheel or within the Alexa App. Know that Amazon Alexa has an Alexa skill that enables Alexa to stream SiriusXM channels. Once you have linked Alexa to your SiriusXM account all you need to do is say "Alexa, play channel 12 on SiriusXM" or "Alexa, play Classic Rock on SiriusXM."

How do I link and stream the SiriusXM skill with Amazon Alexa?

SiriusXM will stream from your phone to the vehicle's audio system; your phone's data plan and data rates will apply.

Amazon periodically drops the price of the Echo Auto device from the standard $49.99 price to a sale price $19.99; Echo Auto is definitely worth $20.

You can also ask Alexa to stream content from your Amazon music library or your Apple music library, also Audible books, podcasts. Alexa can tell you the weather, traffic, news, tell you a joke while you are driving. Alexa can read aloud your Kindle library titles so you can listen while you drive. Alexa can be used while driving to navigate to a location, Alexa will provide turn by turn directions. (When you set up Echo Auto on your phone you specify whether you will use Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze for navigation.) Alexa can also control your smart home devices while you are in your vehicle as if you were at home.

Last edited:
I can kind of give Tesla a pass for not including a built-in SXM satellite tuner in the MY, AFAK the MX still has that option, but it's another $30K over the MY. I'm less forgiving when it comes to the fact that there is no way to add the SXM Streaming app to the native infotainment GUI. It's kind of a pain to get the SXM stream up and running from your phone for short duration trips and even on longer trips I would hope and bet the car's wifi antenna system has better reception then most phones so we would see less drop-outs.

Completely agree with this - and I guess this is more what I meant. Just having the app there would be pretty amazing.

I would like to use the Echo to continue to listen to Sirius, but if your phone is connected to the Echo device, is it not therefore disconnected from your car so that calls will not be answered by the car's bluetooth connection?? And continuing with that thought, isn't the car disconnected from the phone so that the "Lock on Walk Away" feature wouldn't work either??

• Informative
Reactions: Cerberus
I would like to use the Echo to continue to listen to Sirius, but if your phone is connected to the Echo device, is it not therefore disconnected from your car so that calls will not be answered by the car's bluetooth connection?? And continuing with that thought, isn't the car disconnected from the phone so that the "Lock on Walk Away" feature wouldn't work either??
When you have the Amazon Echo Auto installed in your vehicle your cell phone continues to connect to the vehicle via Bluetooth for phone calls as well as for streaming audio from the phone, same as before you add the Echo Auto. The Echo Auto has a separate BT connection with the phone so that the Amazon Alexa app is able to react, respond to your voice. Imagine a lapel microphone that was plugged into your phone so that whenever you spoke an Alexa command the Alexa app would pick up your voice, interpret the command. That is what the Echo Auto does, except there is no wire connecting the Echo Auto to your phone. The connection to your phone is over BT. The Echo Auto does plug into the vehicle but only for power.

If you allow the Alexa app to access your phone's directory then Alexa can place phone calls. The phone calls use the standard phone BT audio connection to the Tesla vehicle. I believe that the Tesla vehicle's built-in microphone is used when calling. The Echo Auto microphone array is only used by the Alexa app to pick up the Alexa commands.

The Amazon Echo Auto microphone array is available again for $19.99 on Black Friday, 4 AM - 8 AM. You can also receive 6 months of free Amazon Music Unlimited when you purchase the Amazon Echo Auto.

Last edited:
@jcanoe , where did you install the Echo Auto in the MY? I have a couple already in my non-Bluetooth cars, and I like how it works.
In my Model Y the Echo Auto 12V power adapter is plugged into the 12V accessory port located inside the center console, underneath the tray. I route the USB cable out of the console (there is room for the USB cable to pass through at the front corners of the center console) and place the Echo Auto on top of the console. When the arm rest is lowered it mostly covers the Echo Auto device. I have the Echo Auto positioned close to the driver's side of the console. The Echo Auto unit slides around but not so much that I feel the need to secure it with velcro or double sided tape. Some have left the Echo Auto unit inside the center console or inside the tray. I did not find that the Echo Auto microphone array (there are 6 microphones in the array) picked up my voice very easily from inside the center console. Some have even gone to the expense of ordering a second console tray, modifying the tray so the USB cable that powers the Echo Auto can be passed through a hole that they make in the tray just large enough for small connector on the end of the Echo Auto USB cable to fit through.

Reactions: alexcue
Why can’t Siri do the same as this auto echo? I do not use voice controls or Alexa. Yet I am also disappointed about the not having SiriusXM in the Y honestly at this point it’s been around for so long that it should just be standard on all cars in my opinion. I am going to want to keep using SiriusXM and doing it by voice seems the easiest way however like I said I don’t use Alexa never heard of auto echo and never use Siri

Maybe once there are competitive electric vehicles available in terms of range, performance then Tesla may consider SiriusXM for the Model 3, Model Y. That and wireless CarPlay; something that will be coming, in 2021, to selected Ford vehicles including the Ford Mach-E. Now the Ford Mach-E is in no way like a Tesla vehicle but it will pull in some buyers. The Mach-E has a Mustang look and feel with multiple screens; and lots of buttons, knobs and switches. Glass roof too.

In my Model Y the Echo Auto 12V power adapter is plugged into the 12V accessory port located inside the center console, underneath the tray. I route the USB cable out of the console (there is room for the USB cable to pass through at the front corners of the center console) and place the Echo Auto on top of the console. When the arm rest is lowered it mostly covers the Echo Auto device. I have the Echo Auto positioned close to the driver's side of the console. The Echo Auto unit slides around but not so much that I feel the need to secure it with velcro or double sided tape. Some have left the Echo Auto unit inside the center console or inside the tray. I did not find that the Echo Auto microphone array (there are 6 microphones in the array) picked up my voice very easily from inside the center console. Some have even gone to the expense of ordering a second console tray, modifying the tray so the USB cable that powers the Echo Auto can be passed through a hole that they make in the tray just large enough for small connector on the end of the Echo Auto USB cable to fit through.

I use this stuff on all kinds of things. It’s basically silly putty but it holds better. It has never damaged a surface including non varnished wood. It doesn’t take much either. As a bonus it will eliminate rattle.

Quakehold! 88111 Museum Putty Neutral https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002VA9NA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_G3UYFbG8B765M

Maybe once there are competitive electric vehicles available in terms of range, performance then Tesla may consider SiriusXM for the Model 3, Model Y. That and wireless CarPlay; something that will be coming, in 2021, to selected Ford vehicles including the Ford Mach-E. Now the Ford Mach-E is in no way like a Tesla vehicle but it will pull in some buyers. The Mach-E has a Mustang look and feel with multiple screens; and lots of buttons, knobs and switches. Glass roof too.

I can't imagine Tesla will ever support CarPlay of any kind, as it would look like crap on the screens.

The only hope, IMO, is native support of the apps you would be using on carplay.

Or you could call XM and tell them you love the service, but your new MY doesn't have it. When I did this they sent me a free kit that installs the antenna and a controller with all the necessary thing-a-ma-bobs to get you set up. There's some utubes that show installation and wire routing.

Haven't installed it yet, all my drives have been around town so the free music service is sufficient. We do live in an area of poor cell coverage, so I'm always experiencing drop outs.

It's on my list of things to do.