Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streaming services available w/ standard or premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks...

What streaming services are offered in the infotainment system?

In my 2015 Volvo I have Sirius and I have been a subscriber since my 1998 Jeep and in each subsequent car. I know that Sirius is offered but paying $10/month to Tesla for connectivity, and $12/month to Sirius, and $14/month to Apple for family plan seems a bit much.

I don't have unlimited cellular data so Wifi hotspot isn't an option.

Thanks for the help.
Jeff

Hey folks...

What streaming services are offered in the infotainment system?

In my 2015 Volvo I have Sirius and I have been a subscriber since my 1998 Jeep and in each subsequent car. I know that Sirius is offered but paying $10/month to Tesla for connectivity, and $12/month to Sirius, and $14/month to Apple for family plan seems a bit much.

I don't have unlimited cellular data so Wifi hotspot isn't an option.

Thanks for the help.
Jeff

While you are driving there is:
  • Spotify
  • Slacker
  • TuneIn
  • FM Radio (no AM in MY)
  • USB (so I have mp3s on a partition of my dashcam HD)
  • Phone Bluetooth
So you can use the free services of Spotify, Slacker and TuneIn; I have a family plan of Spotify so we gave the car one of the slots because it does not change accounts with driver profile (that's a bummer). We use a free TuneIn account to listen to CNN, podcasts, etc.

Parked you can watch Netflix, YouTube, or Hulu. Of course you need a Netflix or Hulu account to watch those.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike_TV and Jeff Wa
While you are driving there is:
  • Spotify
  • Slacker
  • TuneIn
  • FM Radio (no AM in MY)
  • USB (so I have mp3s on a partition of my dashcam HD)
  • Phone Bluetooth
So you can use the free services of Spotify, Slacker and TuneIn; I have a family plan of Spotify so we gave the car one of the slots because it does not change accounts with driver profile (that's a bummer). We use a free TuneIn account to listen to CNN, podcasts, etc.

Parked you can watch Netflix, YouTube, or Hulu. Of course you need a Netflix or Hulu account to watch those.

Hope this helps.
Hey Stan, thanks for the information, guess I'm going to be losing Apple Music. :)

Jeff

Reactions: StanT
Spotify does not come with a free account as far as I can tell.

Pretty sure you can- but I didn't test it in the MY....

You can create a free account with Spotify... go to this link:
Music for everyone.

Scroll down and you'll see:
2020-06-24_16-29-49.jpg

Now you need to create an account with them for free... and honestly I didn't try to login to my spotify Tesla with the free account, but it should work. It just means you get commercials and a smaller set of "things."

But its also referenced in the Spotify terms of agreement:
You can find a description of our Service options on our website, and we will explain which Service options are available to you when you create a Spotify account. Certain options are provided to you free-of-charge. The Spotify Service that does not require payment is currently referred to as the “Free Service.” Other options require payment before you can access them (the “Paid Subscriptions”).

But I can say TuneIn works with the free account- that's how I'm rolling right now.

Hope that helps!

(BTW- if you're wondering why then do I pay for the family account (5 accounts+1 owner) its because it saves on my data plan. I have 2 kids and my wife that love to stream music from Spotify. So with a premium account you can cache music on your mobile device. So I taught everyone to cache up the music on Wifi and listen all you want when you are on the go... because of the caching I'm still not paying for unlimited data plans- the whole family is saying under budget when it comes to cellular data).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: frankvb
I signed up for a Spotify Premium account and I understand how that works within the Tesla world, I think. But what is Tunein? There’s a place for a log-in. It seems to work without it. What exactly is included as part of the Premium Connectivity as far as music in the Tesla MY? Do I need to create a Tunein account? Is there a benefit? Cost? I can’t seem to find any official information. Thanks.