Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streaming vs Tune In

ACAG

Aug 14, 2019
New york
I am confused about the difference between Tune In vs. Streaming. What are the advantages /disadvantages of each.

If I am already a subscriber to Spotify. Do either of these media sources offer services not present in Spotify?

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
Just different sources. Take your pick.

Generally TuneIn has streams of live radio stations and podcasts.
Streaming (old Slacker) plays song “types” on demand in an infinitely skippable radio format without ads.
Spotify came after both those because Tesla did not have the rights to use Slacker in the EU. EU cars did not have slacker and only Spotify so they are similar. In the US, Spotify needs a premium account to get any usefulness from it. Spotify recently added podcasts but were not available in the Tesla Spotify app. I’ve heard the newest software adds support for these.
Best thing to do is to explore both and see what fits your listening style best.

Reactions: ACAG

Koolio46

Aug 26, 2020
Boston, MA
Just different sources. Take your pick.

Generally TuneIn has streams of live radio stations and podcasts.
Streaming (old Slacker) plays song “types” on demand in an infinitely skippable radio format without ads.
Spotify came after both those because Tesla did not have the rights to use Slacker in the EU. EU cars did not have slacker and only Spotify so they are similar. In the US, Spotify needs a premium account to get any usefulness from it. Spotify recently added podcasts but were not available in the Tesla Spotify app. I’ve heard the newest software adds support for these.
Best thing to do is to explore both and see what fits your listening style best.
Yup, 2020.44.x adds support for Spotify podcasts.

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
Looks like Streaming and TuneIn are free though? Is that forever or is it a free trial?
Never say never or forever, but so far Tesla has always included car specific logins for these two services in the US with a premium subscription (and Spotify in other countries where Slacker licenses are not available).

• Informative
Reactions: jsight

jsight

Apr 5, 2018
Charleston
Never say never or forever, but so far Tesla has always included car specific logins for these two services in the US with a premium subscription (and Spotify in other countries where Slacker licenses are not available).

I really wish that you could get Spotify & other services in the US without paying for premium.

Koolio46

Aug 26, 2020
Boston, MA
I really wish that you could get Spotify & other services in the US without paying for premium.
I think it makes sense for Tesla to charge since I believe a majority fo the $10 per month is paying AT&T for data.

I'd love to see Apple Music added as a music source but that probably won't happen...if it did, probably 2025. lol

jsight

Apr 5, 2018
Charleston
I think it makes sense for Tesla to charge since I believe a majority fo the $10 per month is paying AT&T for data.

I'd love to see Apple Music added as a music source but that probably won't happen...if it did, probably 2025. lol

I don't mind that part, I just wish I could use Spotify Free instead of premium.

Reactions: srlawren

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC