Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streaming while driving

DSMX

May 22, 2018
Iowa
So before anyone freaks out, my question is for my passenger while the car is driving. The driver will not be watching video. Is there a way to stream video while the car is driving? We are taking a road trip and my wife is not a huge fan of long road trips so was hoping she could stream movies and shows on the screen while I drive. I’ve heard you can stream through plex server but curious if that works while driving or not?

• Funny
Reactions: azred

mjptech

Being cyberbullied by TMC users PhilDavid + DCEV
Mar 30, 2019
Ventura
So before anyone freaks out, my question is for my passenger while the car is driving. The driver will not be watching video. Is there a way to stream video while the car is driving? We are taking a road trip and my wife is not a huge fan of long road trips so was hoping she could stream movies and shows on the screen while I drive. I’ve heard you can stream through plex server but curious if that works while driving or not?

No motion pictures are allowed to be visible to the driver, so, nothing up front can be playing video while the vehicle is in motion. This applies to all vehicles...

Yes, there are methods to get around this... Look for the HDMI input box... But, without customizations, nope.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
No motion pictures are allowed to be visible to the driver, so, nothing up front can be playing video while the vehicle is in motion. This applies to all vehicles...

Yes, there are methods to get around this... Look for the HDMI input box... But, without customizations, nope.

I could swear the rear camera being up shows motion.

• Funny
Reactions: X-pilot

mjptech

Being cyberbullied by TMC users PhilDavid + DCEV
Mar 30, 2019
Ventura
I could swear the rear camera being up shows motion.

Haha

Cameras are exempt due to vehicle safety and surroundings. It's akin to a mirror.. just waiting for DOT/NHTSA to approve cameras for the side mirrors and projector matrix headlights... Other countries have those.

I don't think you can say watching the real housewives would qualify as a safety concern :p;)

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA

How about, you know, an iPad or other Tablet? If the concern is really the passenger, any passenger would be more comfortable with something in front of them, rather than turning their head for hours while attempting to watch the screen. Holding it is not an issue, passenger can use one of the many tablet cases that prop up the tablet in their lap.

A portable tablet is a much (MUCH MUCH) better solution for everyone in the car EXCEPT the driver, but since you mention "oh no this is not for driver" the tablet is the right solution.

Some other cars allow people to code away at them and defeat the safety mechanism that allows playing movies / videos on them, but i dont think you are doing that "easily" on a tesla.

BMW740iL

Nov 9, 2019
Amsterdam
How about, you know, an iPad or other Tablet? If the concern is really the passenger, any passenger would be more comfortable with something in front of them, rather than turning their head for hours while attempting to watch the screen. Holding it is not an issue, passenger can use one of the many tablet cases that prop up the tablet in their lap.

A portable tablet is a much (MUCH MUCH) better solution for everyone in the car EXCEPT the driver, but since you mention "oh no this is not for driver" the tablet is the right solution.

Some other cars allow people to code away at them and defeat the safety mechanism that allows playing movies / videos on them, but i dont think you are doing that "easily" on a tesla.
Not that difficult anymore on a Tesla since I can use Teslamirror.

The Teslamirror app for iphone and android now makes it possible to stream any content on your phone screen to the Tesla web browser. No extra hardware needed. I use it everyday to put Waze on the big screen and my passengers like to watch Youtube while I am enjoying driving my Tesla.

www.teslamirror.com

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Not that difficult anymore on a Tesla since I can use Teslamirror.

The Teslamirror app for iphone and android now makes it possible to stream any content on your phone screen to the Tesla web browser. No extra hardware needed. I use it everyday to put Waze on the big screen and my passengers like to watch Youtube while I am enjoying driving my Tesla.

www.teslamirror.com

Do you have any involvement with this teslamirror site? You are going around bumping threads all around TMC basically promoting this solution.

BMW740iL

Nov 9, 2019
Amsterdam
Do you have any involvement with this teslamirror site? You are going around bumping threads all around TMC basically promoting this solution.
No, I do not have any involvement with the site. Just stumbled upon this myself and not many forum readers know about it I guess.

I like the product and yes I am promoting it for other Tesla owners to start using it.

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
No, I do not have any involvement with the site. Just stumbled upon this myself and not many forum readers know about it I guess.

I like the product and yes I am promoting it for other Tesla owners to start using it.

Bumping several threads promoting something is considered advertising, so I am advising you not do that, unless you want moderators to move your posts to advertising. replying in one thread is ok, bumping several with the same basic message isnt.

cobra

Feb 8, 2021
Lansdale, PA, USA
In the dutch ios app store there are no reviews for the Teslamirror app. Where can I find the reviews for the iOS version that you have read?
Try this: ‎TeslaMirror

This should show the USA app store reviews for TeslaMirror. It sounds like there are a bunch of limitations due to iOS, like media play not working across the proxy, and one report of the app VPN interfering with LTE data on the phone. Sounds like it might only work for app mirroring where audio or video streaming is not required?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC