Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Street and Track Performance Pad options for Base and Performance Upgrade Brakes Now Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We now have Performance and Track only Pads for Base and the upgraded performance brake caliper option. We also have two piece stock size replacement rotors. They shave on average 5-6lbs of unsprung weight per corner. Rings can be replaced separately when they wear out. Model 3 Brakes (Images are base pad shapes)

image.png
Perf Rear.PNG

@EVTuning Have you actually mounted the RB rear rotor on P3? I preorder a set from RB directly back in January, which they finally shipped to me 2~3 weeks ago. Due to my schedule, I didn't get a chance to install them until couple days ago, sadly the rear rotors RB sent to me did not fit. I've since contacted RB about this and still waiting for them to come back to me with a resolution.

Just want to make sure rest of the Tesla P3 community can gain from my learning experience for being an early adaptor.

@EVTuning Have you actually mounted the RB rear rotor on P3? I preorder a set from RB directly back in January, which they finally shipped to me 2~3 weeks ago. Due to my schedule, I didn't get a chance to install them until couple days ago, sadly the rear rotors RB sent to me did not fit. I've since contacted RB about this and still waiting for them to come back to me with a resolution.

Just want to make sure rest of the Tesla P3 community can gain from my learning experience for being an early adaptor.
I had some issues with base brakes rear pads but those have since been resolved. Let me see what I can do to help your situation. They’re typically great with getting things sorted.

I had some issues with base brakes rear pads but those have since been resolved. Let me see what I can do to help your situation. They’re typically great with getting things sorted.

Any extra help would be appreciated.

Warren there is pretty good at sorting things out for me.

FYI, I just posted my installation of the Racing Brake 380mm BBK for P3. - P3 Brake Job

Reactions: EVTuning
How badly will I wear through the XT910 compound for occasional track usage and mostly autocross?

Not really willing (at this time) to switch between that and the XT970 compound on a regular basis. Since XT970 seems like too much to use for daily driving, figured the XT910 is at least better than stock.

Will I also wear rotors faster?

Not really willing (at this time) to switch between that and the XT970 compound on a regular basis. Since XT970 seems like too much to use for daily driving, figured the XT910 is at least better than stock.
I'd be willing to, since I have base model calipers and those pads are a lot easier to swap. Easily less than 10 minutes, probably closer to 5 min w/a little practice, total time added to the wheel swap I'll be doing anyway.

However I'm wondering about the implications of swapping pads vis-a-vis bedding. If I'm putting in the XT970 (front only, I assume) the first time I'm going to have to go through some sort of bed-in for them I think, to get them going. IIRC pads usually need to be heated to around operating temps once to get their surface, and the binding material in a thin layer below that, prepared for actual use.

But for sessions/days after that can I basically swap between the XT910 and XT970 on the same rotors and treat them as already bedded in, just swap and go?

Also, can I swap rotors underneath the XT910 and that's okay, too? For SCCA AX events I have to go back to stock rotors, because arbitrary Street Class rules and stuff. :p

More information on the RB 2-piece rotor replacement for P3, It will be 1mm thicker and with the patented convergent vane and center mount design to improve cooling. The CAD simulated weight is 13.5lb, stock P3 rotor weight is 14.18lb, so the projected saving is 0.68lbs per rear side. CAD rendering is missing the open slot.
I'm looking forward to having these complimenting the front RB system on my P3. FYI, standard 3 replacement rotor is already available.

image.png

More information on the RB 2-piece rotor replacement for P3, It will be 1mm thicker and with the patented convergent vane and center mount design to improve cooling. The CAD simulated weight is 13.5lb, stock P3 rotor weight is 14.18lb, so the projected saving is 0.68lbs per rear side. CAD rendering is missing the open slot.
I'm looking forward to having these complimenting the front RB system on my P3. FYI, standard 3 replacement rotor is already available.

View attachment 401015

Why does @EVTuning say 6 lbs per rotor but yours says .6 lbs?

Why does @EVTuning say 6 lbs per rotor but yours says .6 lbs?
Because EVTuning/RB had the wrong weight for stock P3 rear rotor. I took my rotor measured it then provided the correct weight to RB this afternoon. You should see both EVTuning/RB update their web info in the next few days if not already.

Photo of stock P3 rotor on scale. 14lb 2.9oz or 14.18lb. You can do the rest of the math.

40CBE27F-2038-4994-84FB-0EE5624C6E01.jpeg

Weight saving from rotor is not a simple goal of just overall saving. The goal is to increase the thermal and cooling capacity of the rotor brake surface/area, aka ring, while remove weight from the hat section of the rotor. P3 stock rotors are Brembo 2-piece design with stamped steel hat that is only ~2.5mm thick and vented cast iron ring at 20mm thick is a good option from OEM on a mass market car. To achieve the stated goal, RB increase the thickness of the ring by 1mm which adds mass for thermal capacity. With there convergent vans, open slot and center mount design, these improve the cooling. To save weight the hat is made of aluminum which is standard hat material for most performance aftermarket and OEM rotors. The lightest rotor might not be the best brake performance option.

Reactions: dwalme and kbecks13