Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Street Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone live in the city and regularly charge? My city has EV-friendly spots for residents, but I was surprised to find out the Tesla charge port is on the left with no option for right side charging. Seems like it would be awkward to have a charger plugged into the right of the car when people are folding their left mirrors in.

I have never heard this topic come up at all, even in searching this forum, any thoughts?

Anyone live in the city and regularly charge? My city has EV-friendly spots for residents, but I was surprised to find out the Tesla charge port is on the left with no option for right side charging. Seems like it would be awkward to have a charger plugged into the right of the car when people are folding their left mirrors in.

I have never heard this topic come up at all, even in searching this forum, any thoughts?
I live in city and charge in my garage

could this be why the units have 18ft+ cords? The few street side units I've encountered there was no issue with cord length or being an obstruction. the fact that the mirrors fold is irrelevant.

here is a pic of the unit in red bank NJ that I've used. note the left side position which doesn't address your concern but also note that if you park close to the curb there is plenty of clearance for cars to pass, also note the amount of cord available. the car was probably ticketed for not paying for the spot.
rb-ev-032916.jpg

American manufacturers all have their charge ports on the left-hand side: Chrysler, Ford, GM, Tesla.

Nissan/Renault: front, center
Toyota: right, rear
BMW i3: right, rear.
Volkswagen: right, rear
Mercedes: rear, right.
smart: right, rear

There is no single best location. It all depends on where you are plugging in and where you have to walk after you've plugged in.

I charge in my garage and on Superchargers and sometimes on public charging.
Left or right is not a problem when I use my own charging cable (7m Typ2 for Europe).
The problem I have on a few places to use the fixed (short) cable and at the same time the only way to park is front side.
(Most other EV have front side charger.)

I charge in my garage and on Superchargers and sometimes on public charging.
Left or right is not a problem when I use my own charging cable (7m Typ2 for Europe).
The problem I have on a few places to use the fixed (short) cable and at the same time the only way to park is front side.
(Most other EV have front side charger.)

Unfortunately, I don't have a garage, but reserved street parking is available for EV residents with the option to install a charger in your spot. Just seems awkward to charge on the left side with tight one-way streets.