TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stress Crack In Rear Hatch Glass...not covered by warranty

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Sm4llz, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

A few weeks ago I noticed a crack on my rear hatch glass. It started at the very bottom and started traveling up to about 8" and then went towards the driver's side about 8". I contacted Tesla and they had me run a ball point pen along the crack and said that if it sticks then it shows a point of impact. No sticking and nothing visual showed a point of impact.

My appointment was today and after several hours it seems that the issue is being escalated because the Tesla Engineers are saying while there is no point of impact this wouldn't normally be under warranty because I have tinted the rear window. I had the work performed at a reputable shop and had suntech ceramic installed. I've had many many cars tinted over the years and have never had anything like this happen.

To Tesla's credit, I have a loaner until they have more information and the SC is going to bat for me and escalating the issue. Anybody else have a similar situation or can offer advice?

ljfmYvD.jpg

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Sigh.... Tesla is stepping over the line.

I don't remember the name of the law, but THEY need to PROVE that the tints caused the fracture (which is silly), otherwise they have no right to not honour the warranty.

The burden is on them, not you.

- - - Updated - - -

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

^^^^ this. tesla would have to prove without a doubt that it was the tint that caused the stress fracture. obviously its not, so yes it is a warranty item that must be covered until Tesla's dollar, not yours.

4. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

**Update**

Dropped the car off Saturday and picked it up today. After some back and forth everything was covered under warranty. Only odd thing is my rear blackvue camera is no longer getting power. I'm wondering if the cable got damaged in the process but will have to wait until the weekend to dissect it. Now I just need to get the window tinted again and opti-glass reapplied.

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

Ive never seen a rear window crack on any car.
    I wonder why yours did?