TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Stress crack in rear windshield?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Glockoma, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Glockoma

Glockoma Member

Hi all,

I took delivery of my Model 3 in late December 2018. Recently just washing my car, I noticed a crack in the back of the windshield. (Pics here: Imgur)

What would be the best process to fix this? I talked to my local Tesla advisor and he said that if the crack wasn't noted during delivery than my local service center wouldn't be able to do anything since the crack occurred post-delivery.

Is this true? If so, I don't mind paying to fix the crack... I just want to be sure I'm doing the best/most efficient thing.

Should I just set up a service center appointment?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. happyzod

happyzod Member

Is the crack from the inside or outside?

3. Glockoma

Glockoma Member

Somewhat hard to tell but it seems like the crack is from the inside.

4. chowfun

chowfun Member

they replaced mine, only with a defroster that doesn't work so they have to do it again.. it was comp since it was a stress crack.

5. moonfresh

moonfresh Member

Yeah...looks like a defective glass. There's know indication, according to the pics, that anything hit it, outside or inside. Whatever caused that would of left a mark, unless the glass was cracked from the edges during installation. If you can, get a pic of the glass when it is removed. Maybe we can see the culprit. Good luck.

6. CommandoFL

CommandoFL Member

That looks like a temperature caused crack. Right along the heat element. I'm guessing a cold environment.

• Like x 1
  7. astrowunder

astrowunder Member

8. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

I call BS on that. That’s like being told that if your drive unit blows up post delivery, it won’t be covered. If there are no obvious signs of a hazard striking the windshield and others have had similar cracks I would expect that it’d be a warranty issue and not an out of pocket/insurance issue.

9. Glockoma

Glockoma Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Contacted my local SC so we'll see where this takes us. Will update the thread once I get further in the process.

10. happyzod

happyzod Member

If its from the inside, you have a case that it's defective glass,

11. Pgetzen

Pgetzen Member

Had a crack on my back glass and it was replaced by Tesla as part of warranty. It did take a while to get it fixed, however.

12. CommandoFL

CommandoFL Member

Notice how the cracks are aligned with the heating element. They must be using cheap glass. Defrost comes on and its cold outside...bam...crack along the element.

13. Glockoma

Glockoma Member

Do they offer a loaner car in the meantime?

14. Pgetzen

Pgetzen Member

They didn’t have it long, it only took a day to fix it, it took a while to get the appointment.

15. Pgetzen

Pgetzen Member

And I did get a loaner for the one day.

16. Glockoma

Glockoma Member

UPDATE: Just took my car to the local SC and they confirmed that my crack was a stress crack in less than 5 minutes. Told me that they'd order the glass and contact me when they get it in stock. I'll then schedule an appointment to bring the car in and they'll give me a loaner for the day that my car is in the shop. Waiting game now, will keep ya'll posted!