Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stress crack in rear windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I took delivery of my Model 3 in late December 2018. Recently just washing my car, I noticed a crack in the back of the windshield. (Pics here: Imgur)

What would be the best process to fix this? I talked to my local Tesla advisor and he said that if the crack wasn't noted during delivery than my local service center wouldn't be able to do anything since the crack occurred post-delivery.

Is this true? If so, I don't mind paying to fix the crack... I just want to be sure I'm doing the best/most efficient thing.

Should I just set up a service center appointment?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Yeah...looks like a defective glass. There's know indication, according to the pics, that anything hit it, outside or inside. Whatever caused that would of left a mark, unless the glass was cracked from the edges during installation. If you can, get a pic of the glass when it is removed. Maybe we can see the culprit. Good luck.

I talked to my local Tesla advisor and he said that if the crack wasn't noted during delivery than my local service center wouldn't be able to do anything since the crack occurred post-delivery.
I call BS on that. That’s like being told that if your drive unit blows up post delivery, it won’t be covered. If there are no obvious signs of a hazard striking the windshield and others have had similar cracks I would expect that it’d be a warranty issue and not an out of pocket/insurance issue.

UPDATE: Just took my car to the local SC and they confirmed that my crack was a stress crack in less than 5 minutes. Told me that they'd order the glass and contact me when they get it in stock. I'll then schedule an appointment to bring the car in and they'll give me a loaner for the day that my car is in the shop. Waiting game now, will keep ya'll posted!

Is the crack from the inside or outside?

Looks like I'm a new member of this club. "Yay"...?? :rolleyes:

The crack appeared yesterday--so far as I can tell, overnight in my garage. No way to prove that, of course.

This question has me wondering: does "inside" or "outside" make a difference in likely cause (thus affecting warranty-vs-insurance)? If I run my fingernail across what appears to be the start of the crack (the "star" in the close-up), I can feel the crack on the inside, but not on the outside. Should I assume that "star" is an impact point (of what, I have no idea--to the best of my knowledge, it appeared overnight while parked indoors)? Or is the "inside" nature of the crack indicative of something else?

Attachments

• inside view.jpg
    inside view.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 271
  • outside view.jpg
    outside view.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 161
  • close up star.jpg
    close up star.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 194
Looks like I'm a new member of this club. "Yay"...?? :rolleyes:

The crack appeared yesterday--so far as I can tell, overnight in my garage. No way to prove that, of course.

This question has me wondering: does "inside" or "outside" make a difference in likely cause (thus affecting warranty-vs-insurance)? If I run my fingernail across what appears to be the start of the crack (the "star" in the close-up), I can feel the crack on the inside, but not on the outside. Should I assume that "star" is an impact point (of what, I have no idea--to the best of my knowledge, it appeared overnight while parked indoors)? Or is the "inside" nature of the crack indicative of something else?

"Star" = 'hit by somthing" = not a warranty item. Unlike @tldickerson , I am not a retired auto glass installer so definitely do not have that level of experience with this, just my experiences owning cars for 35 ish years or so. If there is an impact point, no one would consider it to be a warranty item. You will need to check with your insurance to see what glass coverage you have (some have different policies on glass).

Thanks, guys. That's what I thought (initially, at least) about the "star"--but, the bit about "inside" vs "outside" from the previous poster had me wondering. Also, I absolutely have no idea when I could've been hit by something. I assume I would've noticed it if I was driving at the time; and, it's so visible that I can't believe I would've missed it getting in/out of the trunk (which I've had to do literally every time I've been parked for the last week or more)--hence my assumption that it somehow happened overnight in my garage.

Grrrrrrr......