Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stress crack on X windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has anyone reported stress crack on X windshield before? three weeks after i took delivery of X, i saw a stress crack developing on passenger side of windshield from bottom right corner. it was replaced under warranty.

It took Spring Field, NJ SC awfully long time (nearly 3 weeks) to get replacement windshield. i was given an appointment to bring my car in based on ETA of new windshield, but they failed to update me that they still did not have the part for replacement on the day of appointment, i had to call and figure it out after 2 days of no clear update, took over a week (it was supposed to be there over night and delivered next day) to get the vehicle back!!.

anyway back to the issue, thought it was all done and i can start enjoying the car again, but another crack started developing at exact same spot on the windshield, Friday last week, with in 3 weeks after replacement. SC acknowledged it was another stress crack, have ordered for replacement windshield. what are the odds of a crack developing twice at the same spot? could this be issue with the way body is aligned and it causes windshield to crack? i have had the vehicle for 2.5 months with close to 6000 miles on it. any thoughts what could be causing crack? has anyone faced similar issues?

Seems suspect to me that a stress fracture occurred twice in the same place. I think it would be wise (for Tesla) to find the root-cause of the stress fracture prior to getting the new windshield, otherwise, they might run into the same issue again. Might be an issue with some flaw in the base where the windshield is placed (eg. a large welding joint).

I too had one of those cracks, within a few days of taking delivery. I was driving down a road when the sun came out from behind the clouds for the first time since I had the car and when the windshield warmed up a bit . .. . CRACK! At first I just wanted to cry. It was about 1 inch right where the black lower part of the windshield switches to the clear, in front of the passenger. Tesla also replaced mine at no cost, though it took a bit to convince them it wasn't caused by a rock and then took several weeks to get a new replacement.

I had a stress fracture in my windshield after 1500 miles. It was promptly replaced. I was told that the local installer was excellent and did a ton of MX windshield replacements, and would do a better job than the factory, using more glue to allow some flex. Apparently, an experienced MX windshield installer makes all the difference. I live near a major Service Center where Teslas are a dime a dozen. That may help....

• Informative
Reactions: VMark
I too had one of those cracks, within a few days of taking delivery. I was driving down a road when the sun came out from behind the clouds for the first time since I had the car and when the windshield warmed up a bit . .. . CRACK! At first I just wanted to cry. It was about 1 inch right where the black lower part of the windshield switches to the clear, in front of the passenger. Tesla also replaced mine at no cost, though it took a bit to convince them it wasn't caused by a rock and then took several weeks to get a new replacement.
curious whether or not the ghosting was anything noticeably less, on your replacement windshield. we had the inside of the windshield coated with photosync which helps reduce the defective effect. The film also reduces hot temps significantly - which makes one wonder if the heat reduction is preventing our glass from going "POP". The thought of a crack happening - & windshield replacement would be very disturbing after spending hundreds $$ to make the ghosting affect tolerable - via photosync.

Last edited:
Early March build here. I also had the 1 inch crack on the passenger side right where the black bottom border of the windshield fades to clear. Replaced under warranty.

No significant change in ghosting - both windshields have less ghosting than the test drive vehicle I tried back in December.

here in the UK my delivery has been delayed, the MX arrived at the DC with a cracked windscreen. along with many others, such that European Distribution centre at Tillburg had no stock of replacement screens. Still waiting, will be at least 4 week delay. DC said this was a QC problem, so clearly something systematic and not one-off.

As vandacca stated above, I wonder if there is some weld bead, panel seam or something that potentially concentrates some loading into the windshield causing it to crack. I imagine the odds of having 2 windshields have cracks occur in same place in such short timeframe would be astronomical. When the next windshield is installed, I would have them thoroughly inspect that area around and under the seal as there must be some other root cause.

Seems suspect to me that a stress fracture occurred twice in the same place. I think it would be wise (for Tesla) to find the root-cause of the stress fracture prior to getting the new windshield, otherwise, they might run into the same issue again. Might be an issue with some flaw in the base where the windshield is placed (eg. a large welding joint).
that is what i requested tesla sc to check, they said they will have to wait till windshield can be taken off and that can only happen when new windshield arrives for replacement..