Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stress crack over parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A big crack developed several weeks ago in the front windshield. I noticed it after I parked the vehicle at a Manhattan parkade for ~3 weeks unmoved (monthly Parker there, selling this car also btw). There's no impact point whatsoever. I looked this up and think its a stress crack since it developed sitting in a parkade during a few sub 30F weather days.

Finally got the windshield in-stock and a Tesla appointment today. During drop-off the service rep keep saying this is likely not going to be covered. Keep insisting some dirt half a mm off the crack is the impact. Or a separate chip 3 feet away 'weakened the glass'.

Windshield replacement is $1,500 and Geico deductible for full replacement is $500. This is kinda ridiculous. Any strategy in dealing with Tesla services on something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_2724.jpeg
    IMG_2724.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_2723.jpeg
    IMG_2723.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2722.jpeg
    IMG_2722.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2721.jpeg
    IMG_2721.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 140
If it's from an impact, there would be evidence somewhere along the line of the crack.

Best advice? Get a video of the full length of the crack, up close, from as many angles as possible. If there is no indication of an impact, and you can prove the car was stationary for 3 weeks prior to the crack, you might be able to contest this. Of course, theoretically, the minute you drove away from being parked, you could have hit a stone, or in fact, the crack could have been there PRIOR to parking the car. I'm playing devil's advocate now, which is the responsibility of any service manager.