Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stress on the high or low side of charge range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are making me think I should just take my Yukon XL and guzzle gas on the -20F days.
Take a look at EVinsulate. On a balmy day of 14F their products can cut wintertime range loss in half, increasing your range by 7%. The colder it gets, the more their products help.

If Teslas had been developed in cold climes then these EVinsulate products (or something like them) would be standard equipment.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
In Plug Share there is an option that says to list public stations. There isn't one that says hide private ones. So I'm not really sure what that means. They show up with the "show public stations" set to on. Is there a better app that shows all the ccs/sae stations that are public?
Plugshare has a filter for Show Restricted Access Locations. I normally turn that off since I almost certainly will not have access. The only exception are the restricted J1772 stations at my work, which I do have access to.

I wouldn't depend on (non-Tesla) charging stations. They might be blocked or broken. They may not be welcoming of other brands (or even their own brand) esp. if set to free. If they charge $, they probably don't care as much. But, they might be needed to charge customer cars or for their service dept. You can call but set your expectations low. Suggest you find other CCS or L2 (J1772 or Tesla destination) charging w/decent Plugshare scores if there are no Superchargers.

If you're using up that much battery for your commute, at least the average SoC isn't high.

Last edited:
You guys are making me think I should just take my Yukon XL and guzzle gas on the -20F days.
I was getting pretty close to 1 mile for every 1% of charge last winter when the temps are single digit or below, so at -20F you are better off just taking an ICE vehicle for your long commute. Either that or if time allows, charge at the Oakdale supercharger before heading back to Rochester. Too bad there's no supercharger between Woodbury and Rochester, otherwise it wouldn't be much of an issue even in super cold weather.

You can trust the onboard computer that calculates the SOC at your destination. It's pretty accurate and adjusts the forecast based on numerous conditions, including the weather, and even the wind direction! Also during the trip, you can always adjust your cruising speed if you see that the estimated SOC is going down or up. The most economical power consumption mode is driving around 55mph. I assume your cruising speed is most likely higher than that. So you always have that "speed buffer" that you can play with during the trip to arrive at the destination with the desired SOC level. You can monitor your trip in the Energy App in the car as well, which will tell you in detail how energy was used and what is the forecast.

And if something didn't work as planned, for example on the way back you can stop near this hotel with a free Tesla Destination charger (level 2) and add a few kilowatts just to be enough to reach your destination.

I was getting pretty close to 1 mile for every 1% of charge last winter when the temps are single digit or below, so at -20F you are better off just taking an ICE vehicle for your long commute. Either that or if time allows, charge at the Oakdale supercharger before heading back to Rochester. Too bad there's no supercharger between Woodbury and Rochester, otherwise it wouldn't be much of an issue even in super cold weather.
uhhhhh prob somthing wrong with your car, is your heat pump working properly?

uhhhhh prob somthing wrong with your car, is your heat pump working properly?
No, nothing wrong with the car. In extreme cold I found the range to be significantly decreased. It was quite predictable how much consumption (Wh/Mi) changes with each 10F decrease starting from about 40F. I try to understand how the car is functioning in all conditions as best as I can, so I can plan accordingly.

No, nothing wrong with the car. In extreme cold I found the range to be significantly decreased. It was quite predictable how much consumption (Wh/Mi) changes with each 10F decrease starting from about 40F. I try to understand how the car is functioning in all conditions as best as I can, so I can plan accordingly.
never had that issue, been in the single digits multiple times and only ended up taking about a 15-18 percent hit pretty constantly

never had that issue, been in the single digits multiple times and only ended up taking about a 15-18 percent hit pretty constantly
I would love it if the efficiency hit on my car was only 15~18% in single digit or below temps compared to normal (60F+) temps. What kind of Wh/Mi numbers do you get with temps in single digits? I don't remember exactly (haven't had single digit temps yet this year), but I think I was getting around 420~440 Wh/Mi in those temps. In 60F+ I typically get 270~290 Wh/Mi.

I would love it if the efficiency hit on my car was only 15~18% in single digit or below temps compared to normal (60F+) temps. What kind of Wh/Mi numbers do you get with temps in single digits? I don't remember exactly (haven't had single digit temps yet this year), but I think I was getting around 420~440 Wh/Mi in those temps. In 60F+ I typically get 270~290 Wh/Mi.
60+ I get around 230-240 consistently over the last 6 months. I don’t remember off the top of my head what my winter was and those low digits. I will report back when I track it this winter

You can trust the onboard computer that calculates the SOC at your destination. It's pretty accurate and adjusts the forecast based on numerous conditions, including the weather, and even the wind direction! Also during the trip, you can always adjust your cruising speed if you see that the estimated SOC is going down or up. The most economical power consumption mode is driving around 55mph. I assume your cruising speed is most likely higher than that. So you always have that "speed buffer" that you can play with during the trip to arrive at the destination with the desired SOC level. You can monitor your trip in the Energy App in the car as well, which will tell you in detail how energy was used and what is the forecast.

And if something didn't work as planned, for example on the way back you can stop near this hotel with a free Tesla Destination charger (level 2) and add a few kilowatts just to be enough to reach your destination.
Yeah not fully on board with that. Just to many variables. In my “tow” mishap going to St Paul MN my last charge said 260 miles available which seemed like no issue as I only needed 140 to hit the destination. Yeah didn’t make it lol. Granted I take blame as I just kept humping along at 70mph not noticing the temps drop from Chicago 35 to MN -30. Sadly never forget that trip nor my complacency to assume the numbers would work out.

Yeah not fully on board with that. Just to many variables. In my “tow” mishap going to St Paul MN my last charge said 260 miles available which seemed like no issue as I only needed 140 to hit the destination. Yeah didn’t make it lol. Granted I take blame as I just kept humping along at 70mph not noticing the temps drop from Chicago 35 to MN -30. Sadly never forget that trip nor my complacency to assume the numbers would work out.
Did you use “mile guesometer” near the battery charge icon?
If yes, that number does not have any correlation with a reality. The only true mile range estimator is in the Energy App. Also when you use navigation, it always shows the state of charge at destination. That number is accurate and I use it always as my reference during the road trip. I also don’t use “miles” indicator for the battery icon, I use “%”, it’s just makes more sense.

Did you use “mile guesometer” near the battery charge icon?
If yes, that number does not have any correlation with a reality. The only true mile range estimator is in the Energy App. Also when you use navigation, it always shows the state of charge at destination. That number is accurate and I use it always as my reference during the road trip. I also don’t use “miles” indicator for the battery icon, I use “%”, it’s just makes more sense.
Understood granted 90% or 260 miles it still was Way off when the temperature plummeted. Again Not blaming the car, just a tough learning lesson for me to be respectful of extreme temps and EV cars.

Understood granted 90% or 260 miles it still was Way off when the temperature plummeted. Again Not blaming the car, just a tough learning lesson for me to be respectful of extreme temps and EV cars.
You will not be able to make a 260 miles without anxiety having 90% charge even when it’s normal warm weather. Just like I said, that “mile guesometer” is disconnected from reality.
Tesla claims 330mi EPA range, but reality is somewhere about 200mi between charges and even less that that when it’s cold or your cruising speed is 70+ mph.

By the way, when you plan your trip, you can add a full itinerary including return to home into Tesla navigation, and navigation will always show you, how much battery you will have when you come back. You can monitor this number during all your trip and adjust your driving speed accordingly, if the remaining SOC goes up or down. And that number is very accurate. If it says that you arrive at destination with 7% of the battery, you will really have that exact charge level on the arrival.

Reactions: dgbehrends
Last night the temp was 19 and the energy app did a great job in predicting battery percentage. Just like with ice vehicles normally focus is on how much gas is left not how many miles are left. I find the same to be true with my MY. I focus on battery charge when planning the trips. The updated energy app is fantastic. It syncs with the trip navigation really well. It's usually within 2.5 percent depending on how well I drive. I use autopilot for about 90% of the trip and that keeps it close. Once we get snow covered roads we'll have to see how well the energy app does.

Back to my original question. Since my driving is usually in the evening the answer here is to do the Texas two step. Start changing as soon as I get home to get it away from the low state and then before I go to bed switch to charge before departure so it doesn't spend much time in the high state. Maybe if I create a Twitter account and ask Elon if we can get that feature he will wave his hands and make it so.

By the way, when you plan your trip, you can add a full itinerary including return to home into Tesla navigation, and navigation will always show you, how much battery you will have when you come back. You can monitor this number during all your trip and adjust your driving speed accordingly, if the remaining SOC goes up or down. And that number is very accurate. If it says that you arrive at destination with 7% of the battery, you will really have that exact charge level on the arrival.
Yes this is exactly what I have been doing and it does a great job.

Last night the temp was 19 and the energy app did a great job in predicting battery percentage. Just like with ice vehicles normally focus is on how much gas is left not how many miles are left. I find the same to be true with my MY. I focus on battery charge when planning the trips. The updated energy app is fantastic. It syncs with the trip navigation really well. It's usually within 2.5 percent depending on how well I drive. I use autopilot for about 90% of the trip and that keeps it close. Once we get snow covered roads we'll have to see how well the energy app does.

Back to my original question. Since my driving is usually in the evening the answer here is to do the Texas two step. Start changing as soon as I get home to get it away from the low state and then before I go to bed switch to charge before departure so it doesn't spend much time in the high state. Maybe if I create a Twitter account and ask Elon if we can get that feature he will wave his hands and make it so.
If I were you, I would probably keep 90% as my default state of charge, and 30 min before departure in the morning would adjust that level to 95% from the mobile app and precondition cabin, so it will be warmed up including the battery using the electricity from the grid. And would start my trip with this level of charge.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would probably keep 90% as my default state of charge, and 30 min before departure in the morning would adjust that level to 95% from the mobile app and precondition cabin, so it will be warmed up including the battery using the electricity from the grid. And would start my trip with this level of charge.
As you are in TX, have you had many trips driving in -20 to -30 degree temps? Texas is not MN

• Funny