Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stress on the high or low side of charge range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,
My MYLR 7seater from Freemont was built on Aug 22 2022. I've been driving it since mid Sept. My daily drive can consume around 84% of my charge. That is to and from my destination and back into my garage. Should I charge to 92% and be left with 8% when I get home or should I charge higher or lower to shift the range with my goal being to help increase battery longevity. Right now I have been charging to 96% because the weather is colder to give me some extra margin. Another option would be to use a supercharger near my destination but that would add another 35 to 45 minutes to my trip as it's about 10-15 mins from my destination and isn't supercharging not good for battery longevity?

TIA

-Derick

Greetings,
My MYLR 7seater from Freemont was built on Aug 22 2022. I've been driving it since mid Sept. My daily drive can consume around 84% of my charge. That is to and from my destination and back into my garage. Should I charge to 92% and be left with 8% when I get home or should I charge higher or lower to shift the range with my goal being to help increase battery longevity. Right now I have been charging to 96% because the weather is colder to give me some extra margin. Another option would be to use a supercharger near my destination but that would add another 35 to 45 minutes to my trip as it's about 10-15 mins from my destination and isn't supercharging not good for battery longevity?

TIA

-Derick

if this is your first winter, and you are in Minnesota, and your normal daily commute consumes 84% of your battery in September, you will likely find that there will be some days during the winter you may not be able to make your commute without charging somewhere in the middle.

If you cant charge at work or wherever your commute is taking you, then I would probably set it to charge to 95-100% and have the finish time right before you are leaving home. Alternatively, scope out where you could charge somewhere on the trip (anywhere) for 10-15 minutes or so, if that is possible.

Interesting. My commute today with the temp at 31F took 82%. Driving the speed limit helps a lot. My commute is Rochester to either West St. Paul or Woodbury and back. According to the plugshare app there are a couple of CCS/SAE at the Volkswagon and Hundai Dealerships in InverGrove heights. I would either be driving by on Sunday when they are closed or in the evening around 8pm. Do I need to call them ahead of time or can I assume these are available for use since they are listed in the plugshare app. There is also a CCS/SAE at the Cannon Falls Public Parking Lot. I purchased the adapter.

What I've also learned here is that I want to set the charging through the app so that it reaches maximum charge right about when I need to go. I was doing this initially but then one time it didn't charge and I had to take my ICE car. I'm a little nervous about doing that again. Also, if I do that, the car will be sitting at a low state for a long time. Maybe that isn't bad?? It would be nice if they had a setting that would immediately charge to 50% and then plan the rest of the charge so that it is ready for your commute.

Right now it sounds like the ideal thing to do is plug it in as soon as I get home and let it charge up, then before I go to bed set it to the "be charged at a certain time" setting. By the time I go to bed it should be somewhere between 30 and 50 would be my guess.

Reactions: Harriscott
Do I need to call them ahead of time or can I assume these are available for use since they are listed in the plugshare app
Plugshare is a third party app (I know you are aware of this) but a charger being on plugshare doesnt impact whether its available or not. My guess is, those chargers at those dealerships are likely only for their cars there, so I doubt you can use them at all (whether you call or not), in your Tesla.

In Plug Share there is an option that says to list public stations. There isn't one that says hide private ones. So I'm not really sure what that means. They show up with the "show public stations" set to on. Is there a better app that shows all the ccs/sae stations that are public?

How long do you spend at your destination? Even a standard residential plug will give you more than 1% an hour of charge. If your employer will allow it you can just plug into a wall outlet and be good to go after an 8 hour work day.

Reactions: dino007
if this is your first winter, and you are in Minnesota, and your normal daily commute consumes 84% of your battery in September, you will likely find that there will be some days during the winter you may not be able to make your commute without charging somewhere in the middle.

If you cant charge at work or wherever your commute is taking you, then I would probably set it to charge to 95-100% and have the finish time right before you are leaving home. Alternatively, scope out where you could charge somewhere on the trip (anywhere) for 10-15 minutes or so, if that is possible.
I would second that. My Only trip in two years that I ran out of power was heading to St Paul MN. Hit 20 plus below and the power count down was crazy fast. Learned my lesson that trip!

I would second that. My Only trip in two years that I ran out of power was heading to St Paul MN. Hit 20 plus below and the power count down was crazy fast. Learned my lesson that trip!
With the exception of a L1 wall plug, it’s always faster (or at least way more convenient) to stop and charge at an RV park or random L2 than waiting on a tow truck.

I recently bridged a gap between two superchargers (295mi) using available L2’s. Probably still saved a couple hours and a couple hundred miles over staying on I-10 and I-25.
48238C77-D516-41B1-86F9-F934A713A5BA.jpeg

Interesting. My commute today with the temp at 31F took 82%. Driving the speed limit helps a lot. My commute is Rochester to either West St. Paul or Woodbury and back. According to the plugshare app there are a couple of CCS/SAE at the Volkswagon and Hundai Dealerships in InverGrove heights. I would either be driving by on Sunday when they are closed or in the evening around 8pm. Do I need to call them ahead of time or can I assume these are available for use since they are listed in the plugshare app. There is also a CCS/SAE at the Cannon Falls Public Parking Lot. I purchased the adapter.

What I've also learned here is that I want to set the charging through the app so that it reaches maximum charge right about when I need to go. I was doing this initially but then one time it didn't charge and I had to take my ICE car. I'm a little nervous about doing that again. Also, if I do that, the car will be sitting at a low state for a long time. Maybe that isn't bad?? It would be nice if they had a setting that would immediately charge to 50% and then plan the rest of the charge so that it is ready for your commute.

Right now it sounds like the ideal thing to do is plug it in as soon as I get home and let it charge up, then before I go to bed set it to the "be charged at a certain time" setting. By the time I go to bed it should be somewhere between 30 and 50 would be my guess.

Based on your info, I’ll amend my previous recommendation of setting the charge timer. Since you’ll be returning home low charge, it’s probably best to start charging right away. Maybe you set the limit to 90% when you go to bed and bump it up to 100% in the morning while you’re getting ready for work.

Based on your info, I’ll amend my previous recommendation of setting the charge timer. Since you’ll be returning home low charge, it’s probably best to start charging right away. Maybe you set the limit to 90% when you go to bed and bump it up to 100% in the morning while you’re getting ready for work.
Yep that sounds reasonable. It seems like they should have another setting in the app. Charge up to 50% right away and then charge to desired limit at the time of departure.

Reactions: tm1v2
Yep that sounds reasonable. It seems like they should have another setting in the app. Charge up to 50% right away and then charge to desired limit at the time of departure.
You mean there is no minimum charge feature in a Tesla? I have an eGolf and that has a minimum charge level that I can define. This means, no matter when I plug it in, it will always charge to that predefined minimum level. And then it stops and follows the scheduled departure time charge level.

eg. my minimum is set to 60%
My destination charge level is 80%.

Reactions: tm1v2
You mean there is no minimum charge feature in a Tesla? I have an eGolf and that has a minimum charge level that I can define. This means, no matter when I plug it in, it will always charge to that predefined minimum level. And then it stops and follows the scheduled departure time charge level.

eg. my minimum is set to 60%
My destination charge level is 80%.
No texas two step charging AFAIK.