Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stripped down P over fully-loaded AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are faster than an iPace or BMW M3

Or you are not.

Super easy decision for many of us. :D
AWD is still faster than the i-Pace? Bummer on the M3's... But there's always someone faster than you are, just something I have learned over my lifetime :)

Don't forget higher insurance on the P-model and no EAP or even TACC unless you fork out another 6k.

IMO If you want EAP get the AWD and add FSD for fun, be happy with your slow 0-60 in under 4.5 car!
If you don't care about EAP or FSD, then certainly got for the P model with white interior, but do consider getting an AWD with no EAP + FSD and saving another 10k toward a second base model M3 next year, or an upgrade to your home.

Also insurance may be higher on the P model.

Last edited:
FWIW,

Regarding the tax credit when you configure an M3 now with a delivery date thru November, Tesla, as they have done since the beginning, has quoted a price after the tax credit, in this case still showing $7500. If they deliver cars after 1 October and the tax credit has changed to $3750 there will be lawsuits alleging fraud as they "should have known" the credit for Oct-Nov deliveries has changed.

• Disagree
Reactions: PessimiStick
FWIW,

Regarding the tax credit when you configure an M3 now with a delivery date thru November, Tesla, as they have done since the beginning, has quoted a price after the tax credit, in this case still showing $7500. If they deliver cars after 1 October and the tax credit has changed to $3750 there will be lawsuits alleging fraud as they "should have known" the credit for Oct-Nov deliveries has changed.

Devil is in the detail

Incentive programs are offered and administered by government agencies. Eligibility and availability vary and are outside of Tesla’s control. Most programs are limited to a total dollar amount that can be dispersed or will expire on a certain date. Be sure to visit the state program’s website for the most up-to-date information on availability and redemption requirements.

Your eligibility for income tax credits depends on your personal tax situation. We recommend speaking with a tax professional for guidance.

So I got a fully-loaded AWD with upgraded tires, EAP, and FSD with delivery date Sept-Nov.

That comes out to $63,500.

I am debating about changing my order to AWD P, white interior, without the performance package and just EAP without FSD. That comes out to $71,500.

With that, I may be able to get delivery in August. And with it, a possibility I'll get the full tax credit and not half with the AWD. But I know none of us are really sure about when the 200k mark was passed just yet.

Are any of you guys thinking of these two options?

I'm so annoyed that the AWP P only offers the nasty aeros and the $5k performance package with 20" wheels. I wish they offered just the 19"s. But I'm thinking I can get a new set $2-3k and either use the Aeros for long trips or just sell them.

I’d go with the AWD-P. I bet better resale value. I couldn’t hold out that long - getting it sooner would be my main motivation!

You've been looking at the wrong calculators if that's what they've been telling you. You only need ~450 hp to hit 3.5s 0-60 with a 4,000 lb. AWD direct-drive car. I imagine the P will have a bit more than that since Elon has said they can probably make it faster later.

For reference this is what I used: 0-60, 0-100 & 1/4 Mile Calculator :: TorqueStats Modified. Used 1850 Kg, 3.5s 0-60 and it came up with 719bhp. Anyhow, good to know.

Absolutely agree! I’ll be happy with 3.5 ahummmm 3.2 seconds too.psst psst Elon
You guys are making me want to modify my order and drop EAP and FSD and the 19's.... But then I feel like I'm paying for features that I can't use since EAP is already part of the car and simply not activated :(

I also feel like a 9k software unlock to go faster is a rip compared to the amount of software that goes into EAP and FSD. I mean sure you get some binned parts too but it's not like tesla pays more for these?

For resale value I'm unsure if P model or EAP + FSD would be better. EAP+FSD would cost 11k to activate after purchase... What I really want is P model with EAP, maybe if I sell both my car and truck I could swing EAP...

Also, if I'm paying 9k for a software unlock, then why does white seat fabric and plastic white dash instead of wood cost an extra 1.5k? It's what I want, and very tempting, but is the extra second faster to 60 worth losing EAP and FSD and sticking with Aeros?

Last edited:
I can't get around the aero look either (with or without the center caps) and went 19", fully-loaded AWD in red. I took a pass on Performance because the acceleration in the Model 3 is impressive enough (ah, here is one opinion that could be discussed for days). If money and garage space were not an issue, then I'd be driving a P85D. As far as the white seats go, that sounds like a maintenance nightmare to me if you have to monitor what your passengers are wearing or if they have sunscreen on their hands, etc. FSD because I think the feature will be functional during the time that I'm planning to own the car.

Reactions: jsrawa
You guys are making me want to modify my order and drop EAP and FSD and the 19's.... But then I feel like I'm paying for features that I can't use since EAP is already part of the car and simply not activated :(

I also feel like a 9k software unlock to go faster is a rip compared to the amount of software that goes into EAP and FSD. I mean sure you get some binned parts too but it's not like tesla pays more for these?

For resale value I'm unsure if P model or EAP + FSD would be better. EAP+FSD would cost 11k to activate after purchase... What I really want is P model with EAP, maybe if I sell both my car and truck I could swing EAP...

Also, if I'm paying 9k for a software unlock, then why does white seat fabric and plastic white dash instead of wood cost an extra 1.5k? It's what I want, and very tempting, but is the extra second faster to 60 worth losing EAP and FSD and sticking with Aeros?

The struggle is real! I struggle with whether or not the performance upgrade is worth it. For me, it's either EAP or performance upgrade. My commute wouldn't benefit much from EAP, so I'm leaning heavily towards the performance upgrade. I just feel like Tesla hasn't given full disclosure regarding the performance upgrade package.

The struggle is real! I struggle with whether or not the performance upgrade is worth it. For me, it's either EAP or performance upgrade. My commute wouldn't benefit much from EAP, so I'm leaning heavily towards the performance upgrade. I just feel like Tesla hasn't given full disclosure regarding the performance upgrade package.
Ok I know there are plenty of
Peeps who Drive P100D’s already, and I test drove a P90D in 2016 ...and was like lemme Get my I.C.E.car out of my system cos This is the future going From Analog to
Digital . Today, I test drove a P100D to refresh my memory on what I “want”, and all I can say is this:
1) If you want Absolute Power over almost
99.5% of your daily drive , then go :p
2). I suspect a Model 3P is much more nimble , and 1000lbs lighter than Model S
2) I almost got nauseated on how abruptly explosive these cars are, and can tell you it’s HIGHLY addictive (thinkThanosPower)) But...
3) A 4 second non P awd Car is plenty plenty fast, and The P Model 3 is just like Going from A BMW 340i to an M3.
4) if you would buy an M3 , Then Buy A Model 3 P
5) As Such, I Am going Model 3P, and never looking back!

I have to admit the AWD seems boring.. the performance on the other hand... especially with that $5k package..... that seems tempting .

But personally as far as performance go I would favor 200 lbs weight loss over losing half a sec when doing 0 to 60 hence RWD > AWD

I have to admit the AWD seems boring.. the performance on the other hand... especially with that $5k package..... that seems tempting .

But personally as far as performance go I would favor 200 lbs weight loss over losing half a sec when doing 0 to 60 hence RWD > AWD

...why?

Obviously the quicker acceleration demonstrates the second motor more than offsets its own weight performance-wise, and especially once you slap worthwhile tires on the car it'll be putting down enough power for the AWD to be extra useful.

Here is what I did:
Ordered AWD w/ 19" wheels on 6/30. ETA was Sept-Nov. Was seriously considering AWD P which had an ETA of Aug-Oct, but I didn't bite.
Changed to AWD w/ 18" wheels on 7/4. ETA was changed to Oct-Dec. I said oh sh*t what did I do.
Changed to AWD P w/ 18" wheels 10 minutes later. ETA is now Sept-Nov.
I would think you also lost the free LTE thing, unfortunately, since the order date is now 7/4...Although it might be tricky to prove what is included before 7/1, the standard PUP description only stating
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included)
This one is hanging on Elon's word.

There were prior reports of edit design changing order date/estimated delivery dates. Unfortunately, many did not see that info, could be useful to consider when making changes.

I would think you also lost the free LTE thing, unfortunately, since the order date is now 7/4...Although it might be tricky to prove what is included before 7/1, the standard PUP description only stating
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included)
This one is hanging on Elon's word.

There were prior reports of edit design changing order date/estimated delivery dates. Unfortunately, many did not see that info, could be useful to consider when making changes.

I called before making the change and asked about the premium connectivity. They said I would still qualify since I placed my original order before 7/1.

Option for white interior earlier than other configs
1 second quicker 0-60

is that worth $11,000 to you?

Personally? I didn't think it was. I don't like the white interior anyway- and I've had cars that ran 0-60 in the 3s and in the 4s...outside of a track you can usually count on one hand the # of times that difference matters at all in a given year (the rare stoplight race against a car actually quicker than the 4s), so that sure didn't seem worth 11k. If the P had offered a significantly more advanced suspension and performance tires on the aeros for that 11k I'd have been a lot more inclined to spend it- but there's no solid indication of either coming with the car.

1. I ordered the P model + Perf wheels because it's a BARGAIN (stock 0-60 in less than ~3.8 and < $100k is a good deal)
2. And frankly, Tesla is in a push to become profitable, if they don't reach profitability this year, it could be the end of them.
3. Also, I get to give the middle finger to GM (Camaro), Dodge (Demon), and Ford (Shelby GT350r). Value: Priceless

Or just save the 9k for your new roadster 0-60 in 1.9 seconds deposit!

There's always something faster, heck the P100D is already faster in acceleration.

Is 9k worth it to go almost as fast but miss out on all the tech the car comes with?

Probably, but only if you think you will use 0-60 speed more than you would autopilot + FSD.

I'm a sucker though, if I went to the P model I would be getting the white interior too. I'm pretty sure it's not actually and extra 3k to build a white car with white interior :p