Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stripped down P over fully-loaded AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No it doesn't. There's no option to include rollout on Draggy.

Source: Have one.

The guy who claimed otherwise has edited his post to correct it, so apologies for repeating him before I saw that.

That said, it DOES include it for some tests (not optionally), just not 0-60.

Here’s the actual Draggy folks explaining-

N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion - View Single Post - Move over VBOX, Dragy is here!

Draggy said:
1 ft rollout is enable on distance test, and disable on speed test.

So it's there for 1/8 and quarter mile and such, but not 0-60.

It does make me wonder (if someone doing calibrated track testing rather than on-ramps finds the same results) why Tesla chose not to include rollout with the P3, but does on the other P models.

Maybe they figure the 3 will get a lot more scrutiny so they had to be extra careful about not tweaking claims in any way?

I for a short time was also thinking of getting top of the line performance. But then to save myself and my money, i decided against it. As we see its an amazing car, so many articles about it. But to pay for premium for quicker acceleration is just silly. So instead i splurged on the color, wheels and EAP. Bringing price to 61k. Now thinking its only $3k lower than base Performance, always wants me to grab higher level. I guess if one is ok with Black color inside and out, 18 inch wheels and plans to get EAP and or FSD later, than its a good deal compared to AWD.

I now drive FWD sedan with 0-60 in high 6's, which is very much enough for me. I drove P85D for couple of weeks and it was just so much fun but only for short times. Doing so many acceleration runs hurt my head.

Took delivery yesterday. Wow! So far, I'm very happy with my choice: P3D+, no EAP. My commute is only 12 miles each way, which wouldn't really allow me to utilize EAP, so that's why I opted not to go for it. I basically traded EAP for the performance upgrade, since I will immediately appreciate the brakes, wheels, and eventually the looks of the spoiler (not available at delivery...)

I will admit, the car does feel a bit flashy with the 20s, red brakes, and white interior, but I'm loving it! Saw many Model 3s at delivery, and while they all look great, I wouldn't want my car configured any other way.

Some people irrationally just want to know that extra speed is there and use it on semi-rare occasions... but may otherwise require a more stealthy appearance (meaning P w/o the plus)

I resemble those people

I thought about going the stealth route, and decided that since EVs are "silent", it was stealthy enough. I can accelerate to it's full potential without all the ruckus of my previous cars.

Took delivery yesterday. Wow! So far, I'm very happy with my choice: P3D+, no EAP. My commute is only 12 miles each way, which wouldn't really allow me to utilize EAP, so that's why I opted not to go for it. I basically traded EAP for the performance upgrade, since I will immediately appreciate the brakes, wheels, and eventually the looks of the spoiler (not available at delivery...)

I will admit, the car does feel a bit flashy with the 20s, red brakes, and white interior, but I'm loving it! Saw many Model 3s at delivery, and while they all look great, I wouldn't want my car configured any other way.

I thought about going the stealth route, and decided that since EVs are "silent", it was stealthy enough. I can accelerate to it's full potential without all the ruckus of my previous cars.

Congrats !!!

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Yeah I've been wrestling with this too. I keep looking at my loaded awd config and thinking "for a little more I could have a base performance" but it's really hard to mentally justify it when all you're getting for your 11k is faster delivery and better quality control on your motors. To me it seems like you're really spending 11k on an awd with a software performance limiter removed, which to me is just frustrating.
If they offered other mechanical differences/improvements it would be easier to justify.
I can see how the performance models are much higher margin for them. Costs them nothing to flip a software switch (that 11k is pure profit) but it makes me feel more like a sucker for paying it.
Bought a P3D without performance upgrade. Planning on aftermarket light 19" wheels, big brakes and springs.

The 11K is not just a software unlock. It's for the huge risk Tesla is taking in guaranteeing drive unit replacements and maybe even battery damage from overheating for those of use who will take every opportunity to inflict masive pain on our car. Personally I will be driving my P to the limit every chance I get. And there is anecdotal evidence that those who do, have gone through several drive unit replacements. I think the record stands at 7 replacements. I would say the 11K won't cover even half of that cost.

On the other hand, if you're going to baby your car, there is no reason to bother with a P.

Reactions: Msjulie