TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Stripped Model S better than Model 3 in any meaningful way?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Nov 25, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I need a second Tesla now so I don't have much choice - I'm ordering another Model S shortly (I have two Model 3 reservations but I'm not waiting another 18 months and 45,000 miles of driving to replace my aging 14 mpg guzzler).

But I finally did the math:

S60 + full self driving = $76K before federal rebate.

M3 with zero options plus self driving = $35K + $8K = $43K before rebate (pretend the rebate will still exist for the first M3's off the line).

That makes the most bargain basement self driving S about 75% more expensive - for what, exactly?

Roughly the same range. A bit more interior room. But what else? Do we think anything about a completely stripped S is higher quality or more luxurious feeling than a stripped 3 will be?

This math does lead me to think that even the cheapest S's will have some kind of significant interior and functional upgrades (and perhaps range) prior to or around the same time the 3 is released - because as it stands the S looks to me like a really poor value in comparison.

2. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

It's available now rather than 18 months from now - to some that makes it worth the difference in money.

I have a S and an X, I really think the 3 will be the best Tesla yet.

I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on the S now if I were in your shoes, the free supercharging for life and the glass roof would be awesome options at this time!

Once they turn on the "Tesla uber fleet" your 60 can join it and more than offset the payment - then you can enjoy your 3's!

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm surprised this surprises you, as someone who's been following Tesla for a non-trivial amount of time.

4. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I suppose you are right. I never really confronted just how "stripped" a truly base S is before I started configuring one yesterday. I'm looking at doing nothing but glass roof and self driving - to minimize depreciation as much as possible for a two-year hold.

On the other hand $76K for a self driving car with unlimited "free gas" for life is still a helluva bargain in my book. My existing AP 1.0 Tesla is a bargain in my book because of how it has made driving so relaxing.

The M3 value is just - off the charts in comparison. Low $40K range for a 200 mile self driving car is nuts.

5. JClu

JClu Member

This may be a dangerous assumption. Forget about what King Trump may do with the EV tax credit, when Model 3 rolls off to the mass market, it's a certainty that Tesla will surpass the 200,000 number that the EV tax credit will be phased out. This is one of the major reasons I pulled the trigger on the S this year as opposed to waiting for the 3, which honestly is probably a better fit for me than the S.

6. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

As owner of a S60 with zero options, I can tell you neither my friends nor myself find the car lacking. As for Autopilot, you can add it later if it is ever available for A2 cars. personally I doubt that full level 5 can ever be enabled without better radar. also, L 5 would require removal of the steering wheel and pedals. the passenger is not allowed to intervene.. if you trade your ar back to Tesla, value should be fine as Tesla will resell it as a 75 with Autopilot.

• Like x 1
  7. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

Hatchbacky goodness, of course.

• Like x 2
  8. Zextraterrestrial

You can sleep comfortably in an S

9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Safer due to larger body and lack of cab forward design of model 3. Bugs worked out after 4 years of production, longer wheel base with comfortable ride, hatchback, usable frunk on none-D model, lots of aftermarket options, available now.

10. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#10 BluestarE3, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    Is that still true on a new Model S? I thought it's a standard frunk now, regardless of whether it's a "D" or not.

11. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

No argument from me on the safety angle - there's no substitute for mass when colliding with other heavy vehicles. And the longer wheelbase contributing to a smoother ride is also a good point.

12. animorph

animorph Member

It seems likely that the 3 won't have the same features in its base configuration as the current S base model. Consider what the S started with as standard versus optional years ago. I think that includes keyless entry, and navigation. Those standard S features are likely to be options on the 3. Seat quality is likely to be a little lower? No center console? Standard headlight tech? Fixed rearview mirrors without tilt on reverse and auto folding?. A shorter powertrain warranty or maybe a 3 year limited warranty?

I don't expect the 3 to be just a shrunk S for half the price.

13. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Keyless entry and navigation? You think features that are standard on the Leaf will be optional on the Model 3?

• Funny x 1
  14. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Still don't know what the final 3 interior will look like or if the S will be changed before the 3 is released so as not to be outdone.

Also no guarantee what self driving will cost on the 3.

15. animorph

animorph Member

We don't know, do we? As far as I remember they used to be optional on the S. So yes, that is a possibility. Got to get to $35k somehow.

16. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

For me the killer feature was a hatchback. I never want to own a sedan again. The lack of utility is just inexcusable.

• Like x 2
  17. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

If the 3 turns out to be a better car than the S, I'm going to feel pretty stupid for buying an S right now. I think the S will be superior, just not twice the price superior. I'm ok with that. I like larger cars anyway for safety.

• Like x 1
  18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Correct. You have to go "classic" non-D to get the big frunk. All the facelift cars have the same size "small" frunk

19. Troy

Troy Active Member

The interesting thing is, if you buy a Model S now, you might actually see your Model 3 much sooner because Tesla owners will have priority in Model 3 deliveries. Feel free to check out the Model 3 Delivery Estimator for both scenarios.

20. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

Funny! But true!