TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Strong Noise when driving above 67mph

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by VirtualE, Sep 28, 2013.

1. VirtualE

VirtualE Member

#1 VirtualE, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I have noticed something and I wanted to check if anyone has experienced the same, before I contact Tesla Service.
    First of all the Tesla Model S is super silent, though when I drive above 67mph, there is a noise that starts building insight the car.
    It does not seem to come from the "motor".

My model S is 85KW.
    The A/c was off and no music was playing.
    All windows closed including sun roof.

I had tested a Model S 85P and did not hear the noise.

I have recorded a video while I was on the highway.
    If you listen it through an "iphone" speaker, you will not hear it, because the speakers are too weak and don't carry a good base.

Please let me know what you think.

2. jayman

jayman Member

That sounds like the motor to me. Does it sound like it is coming from the back right? Mine is going in next week for a similar noise and motor is going to replaced...

3. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I get a strong hum at about 64-65mph and above. Mine, I'm fairly certain is coming from the Frunk area. The hum pitch increases as speed increases, but not necessarily a 1 for 1 with actual speed, but more with energy effort. This regardless of pavement type, so I'm certain it's not tire noise. I'm thinking it's one of the coolant pumps working to keep the motor or batteries cool. Nothing else makes sense.

This does sound like mine though, a low hum.

Does yours increase in pitch the faster you go? Are you sure it's coming from the back?

4. DCinDC

DCinDC Member

I noticed a similar noise about 2 weeks after delivery of mine. I hadn't noticed the hum before that, but at around 70mph there is a definite hum from what sounds to me the front right area of the car (exactly what SCW described). I asked my service guys when I had my chargeport replaced a couple of weeks ago if there's anything up there that should be making a noise and they suggested I bring it back in when I have time for them to check it out. I might arrange that next week, but I'm eager to hear what others find.

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Others have reported similar requiring new drive units....

Search the forum for "groan" and you should find it.

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Hmm it seems we need to make a thread dedicated to "Tesla noises". This is a new one that I've never heard before. I don't have this sound. Totally IMO but sounds like a fan of some sort that's about to bite the dust. Definitely take it to a SC and have them look at it. If you take a voice(audio) recording using your iphone and zip it up and attach it, I'll open it up in a spectral frequency analyzer and take a screencap vid of it and repost it.

7. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I watched the video 4 times but I couldn't hear the noise. Maybe that one thing is to watch the video another thing is to stay really in the cabin.

8. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I did not hear anything unusual in the video.

9. lloyds

lloyds Member

I just started hearing a strange noise recently as well from the rear, but it was at lower speeds (20ish). Didn't have it before, so this is strange. Will be contacting Tesla soon

10. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Nor did I.

11. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I hear the humming. It's faint in the recording. I don't think that's normal - my car doesn't do that. I do get the balloon squeal under hard acceleration.

12. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I put headphones on, and the I can hear the hum. With ordinary speakers, I couldn't hear it.

13. Frank the Tank

My Tesla VIN # in the 3000s range does not have this. I got a loaner that was VIN #300 or so, and it has this same groaning noise at freeway speeds above 65 mph. Definitely get this checked by the service center as it doesn't seem normal.

14. jackbowers

jackbowers Jack Bowers

My P85 started making that noise after about 10k miles. I'm now at 40k and it hasn't gotten any worse.

15. texex91

texex91 Banned

How many miles? Seems like noises start to appear after 1000-1500 miles...

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I couldn't really hear it on the video, but for the last few weeks I have had a low frequency "drone" at highway speeds whenever power is being applied (i.e. power meter showing orange). As soon as the power goes to zero or into the green, the noise goes away. It doesn't seem to be proportional to the amount of power I'm applying. As soon as I see orange, the drone starts, and goes away as soon as the power reaches zero. It does sound like it's coming from the front of the car, but it has to be the drivetrain and the noise is probably just transmitting through the car's body. I have just about 13,000 miles on the odo.

17. Vip

Vip Member

VIN 20525: I have the hum coming from my right rear. I can hear it above 40 and gets louder as I go faster. If I am going 75mph I can hear it even with my radio on at level 5! Have an email out to the service center. Waiting for a reply.

18. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

In my experience, a hum that is proportional to speed is usually an issue with tires.

19. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

That is the exact problem I had (and reported in the other thread). The simple solution is a drive train replacement. The noise will be gone and the car silent once again. Mine started from the day I took delivery of the car and didn't really know it wasn't "normal" until I complained and they replaced the drive train.

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That was exactly my thought for the first few days as well, but I found I can turn the hum/drone sound on and off like a switch just by modulating the accelerator pedal so that the power meter goes orange (drone) or zero/green (no drone).