Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strong Noise when driving above 67mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1, I drove the P85+ loaner for a week and it felt better. Didn't want to give it back:crying:.

Once we get enough of these on the road, I'm hoping the aftermarket will open up and begin to make us cool add-ons like heavy duty sway bars and bushings. When I had my Vette, there were literally thousands of cool aftermarket parts. It's an untapped market and a very lucrative one. ;)

I also had a problem with my car making a sound almost like an exhaust or muffler noise at speeds above 75 mph. According the paper work, Tesla replaced the drive inverter unit. They also did a four wheel alignment after. Noise is gone now. I have to say Tesla has been very good of taking care of any problems with the car.

I'd said earlier that the booming drone in my car had seemed to have lessened. It's hard to be objective, but it was starting to get aggravating. The car was in the SC for another reason, and I mentioned the booming and that maybe it was just a normal noise. They said not, took a recording, and now they plan to replace the inverter (I think). I'll be very happy. The loaner Model S had no such drone and it was a far more pleasant drive!

The acceleration whine: Mine's a 60, and its whine often has that plaintive balloon-deflating sad song. The loaner was a P85 and its whine has a very different character; it's brimming with power coming online! Fantastic aural accompaniment. It's like a movie's special effect. I'm really hoping my new inverter plays a better tune!

mine has this same noise when getting up around 70MPH and gets gradually louder as you increase in speed. At first I thought it was the tires, but now I'm not so sure.. i'm going to do some tests by getting up to 75MPH or so and putting it in neutral to hopefully disengage the engine. If the sound goes away or changes substantially, that means I may have the inverter issue. I do sound very similar to the original poster's video.

Whelp... looks like I've joined this club.

I noticed last week as as I climbed close to 70MPH that I'm getting a hum/drone from the rear of the car. As mentioned here, it's power-dependent, not speed-dependent. It definitely wasn't there for the first 16,000+ miles.

I'll chat with the folks here in the Rockville, MD service center when I get my headliner replaced...

My car gets significantly louder once I exceed around 65mph or so. Is there a way to discern the cause? Is this a motor/inverter issue like discussed here, or simply normal road noise?

I saw at least one owner say the sound went away when the Wh/mi went to zero or below, but I don't know if that applied to everyone with the issue. Mine remains no matter what the throttle position is, but sounds awfully similar to the low frequency hum in the first post. Any ideas?

silly question but is the drive unit different than the inverter? Is the drive unit what I've been calling the "motor with one moving part"? reason i ask is because I've seen references to "drive unit", "inverter", and "drive inverter" vs "motor". Or is the "drive unit" the "~one-speed gearbox transmission" piece? Clearly not up to date of my terminology here...

silly question but is the drive unit different than the inverter? Is the drive unit what I've been calling the "motor with one moving part"? reason i ask is because I've seen references to "drive unit", "inverter", and "drive inverter" vs "motor". Or is the "drive unit" the "~one-speed gearbox transmission" piece? Clearly not up to date of my terminology here...

Good question. I've seen the inverter/motor/gearbox assembly all on a common carrier frame... I suspect that may be what "drive unit" refers to...