Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stronger cell connection somehow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see how an RF booster could work.
It listens to a weak signal and rebroadcasts it on the same frequency. Its transmitter would block its receiver.

As a general statement, sure.

But, the cell signal boosters being referred to here are far more complex than a simples signal booster despite the simplistic words used. The products work quite well, within parameters, even if you’re skeptical.

Modern Cell signals are spread spectrum on many frequencies, often at the same time. These cell signal boosters do require some separation between the larger primary antenna and the secondary repeater antenna.

For the units designed for mobile use in an an RV or other vehicle, the repeater antenna tends to be small and transmit a very weak signal good for a couple of feet to the cellular phone/tablet. I have a magnetic mount roof antenna on my van that’s about 10” long as the primary antenna. The secondary antenna inside the van is about the size of a candy bar.

Fixed location cell booster systems such as I have at my home have a primary antenna that's often on the roof. It’s usually directional, often highly so. The inside antenna is larger than for a mobile install and has more power to provide a cell signal to an entire room or more. In both of my systems, there can still be feedback issues (the WeBoost model has error LEDs) if the two antennas are too close together. At home, that's resolved with a directional yagi antenna mounted at one end of the house’s roof pointed away from the house. In the van, I rarely have an issue likely because of the metal roof and the very weak transmitter for the inside antenna

If the navigation map is stored on a micro SD, then why does it take so long to load when you are in rural areas when the screen is showing one bar? I have also observed it not loading at all when the screen is indicating no signal.