Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past week or so I've noticed my Regen is a little stronger than usual. It's been really cold where I live, and after I precondition for 45 minutes or so (with the new battery warming feature) and when I leave, I still have the dotted lines for limited Regen (pic attached) but it seems the car slows down more aggressively when I let off the accelerator. I used to have to brake down my hill if I left the house with limited Regen or a full battery, now it seems like I have to press the accelerator a little on the way down. New behavior? Am I crazy? IMG_20180109_075044.jpg

With 5 dashed lines of limited regen, I find the car almost drives like an ICE car with little to no perceived regen until under about 20 mph when I feel it actually braking. I'm constantly needing to brake in city driving.

I preconditioned for 1 hour 45 minutes connected to shore power and could only get the limited regen down to about 4 bars (in sub-freezing temps in Colorado), not what I was hoping for with battery preconditioning. I can't get full regenerative braking unless I've driven at highway speeds for a good 30 minutes.

The display you are seeing on the dash is the power in/out of the battery, not the power in/out of the motor. If it's cold your motor regen is limited to the sum of the battery input, plus the HVAC, plus the battery heater. If the HVAC and battery heater are going full out that's another 8-10kw of additional 'free' regen your motor can produce. This is the same reason the display will show 8-10kw in the orange direction when you are sitting at an stop light.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
Maybe I’m not starting it correctly, when I fully let off of the accelerator and the green regen goes all the way to the line, the car stops more quickly than I remember. It used to feel when there were dotted lines I had to physically press the brake going down hill as the car would accelerate. Over the past few days the car seems to decelerate down the same hill the same as it would with no regen limit (no dotted lines) the pic I provided was not to show the current state of acceleration or deceleration, it was to show the dotted lines.

Maybe I’m not starting it correctly, when I fully let off of the accelerator and the green regen goes all the way to the line, the car stops more quickly than I remember. It used to feel when there were dotted lines I had to physically press the brake going down hill as the car would accelerate. Over the past few days the car seems to decelerate down the same hill the same as it would with no regen limit (no dotted lines) the pic I provided was not to show the current state of acceleration or deceleration, it was to show the dotted lines.

I think @dave4444 may have answered your question.

He mentioned that if the battery heater is running yui will get more regen than that meter in your pic shows. Considering you still have limited regen into the battery it looks like your battery heater is probably running, maybe more than normal. Thus allowing regen to "brake" more to take in more energy.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7