TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stronger noise when flooring the pedal

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kensiko, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

I have my S60 since 2 weeks and quickly noticed the stronger noise coming possibly from the power electronic when flooring the pedal. Is that normal ?

You can hear it, sorry for the cellphone hitting the center console.
    http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com/file/n47891/VID_20160712_122257_mp4_Output_1.mp3
    http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com/file/n47891/VID_20160712_122410_mp4_Output_2.mp3

I already contacted Tesla I would just like to know if all Tesla do that.

2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I believe that's the famous ballon squeal indicating a DU needing replaced...

Anyone else confirm..???

Jeff

3. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

If the noise was getting louder after a few weeks I would be more concerned.

So you confirm that a new Model S do not make that sound ? At least the RWD ?

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

If it sounds like a quiet jet engine spooling up, it's normal.

If it sounds like air squealing out of a balloon, it's not.

5. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

The noise sounds normal to me. I have had the same noise when flooring my P85 for years.

• Like x 1
  6. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Sounds like the balloon, more like several balloons. Listen to the mp3 #2 and please tell me what you think.

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Sorry, missed the MP3s the first time around. I listened to #2 (#1 was not helpful :)).

Sounds mostly normal, although you do have a little bit of squeal in there. I believe the squeal is due to something (contacts?) resonating when high current goes through it. My old S85 did it, my P85 after that doesn't do it much at all.

I don't think it's any sign that your drivetrain is in trouble or that it could fail, but it's probably more due to tolerances or the tighness of some component. I'm not sure what Tesla's policy is on that--whether they can fix it, whether they'll replace it with a different drive unit, or whether they won't do anything about it.

Let us know what Tesla says though, because I'm curious what the latest is on this. I thought this sound went away with cars starting to be built a year or two ago.

8. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

Mine is 2014.

Thanks for your feedback. Tesla transferred my email and MP3 to local SC but I'm not convinced to receive a response from them.

9. Kensiko

Kensiko Member

My car went to service and they told me everything was normal.

10. Lex

Lex Member

My 70D gives out a similarly sounding electrical "hum" possibly through the audio system (ie. as RF interference) during the most spirited acceleration. I've just been thinking it was the inverter and other bits working at their max.

Guess the thing to do now is keep an ear to it in case it changes...