Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stronger noise when flooring the pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, missed the MP3s the first time around. I listened to #2 (#1 was not helpful :)).

Sounds mostly normal, although you do have a little bit of squeal in there. I believe the squeal is due to something (contacts?) resonating when high current goes through it. My old S85 did it, my P85 after that doesn't do it much at all.

I don't think it's any sign that your drivetrain is in trouble or that it could fail, but it's probably more due to tolerances or the tighness of some component. I'm not sure what Tesla's policy is on that--whether they can fix it, whether they'll replace it with a different drive unit, or whether they won't do anything about it.

Let us know what Tesla says though, because I'm curious what the latest is on this. I thought this sound went away with cars starting to be built a year or two ago.

My 70D gives out a similarly sounding electrical "hum" possibly through the audio system (ie. as RF interference) during the most spirited acceleration. I've just been thinking it was the inverter and other bits working at their max.

Guess the thing to do now is keep an ear to it in case it changes...