Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Structural noise, difficult to explain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is nearly impossible to explain so I took a video. I hear a weird sound (see video at 3 sec) that seems like a structural shift in the car. It happens probably every drive but not exactly reproducible on demand. I can hear it multiple times during the same drive on occasion.

I’m hoping someone might recognize the sound.

Are you referring to the "knock" at exactly 3.0 secs? That sounded to me like it could have just been something touching the phone, but if that's coming from the car, I wonder if it's a rattle or bump caused by the road. Does the car feel like it's doing anything unusual when that happens? Or is it just a sound?

Are you referring to the "knock" at exactly 3.0 secs? That sounded to me like it could have just been something touching the phone, but if that's coming from the car, I wonder if it's a rattle or bump caused by the road. Does the car feel like it's doing anything unusual when that happens? Or is it just a sound?
Yes, the knock sound. Definitely not the phone.

It’s less of a rattle and more of a knock as you identified. It to happen more often when the car flexes over an uneven surface.

Do you have access to some slanted driveways? I think it'll be helpful if you can reproduce the sound in order to narrow down the source.

I've heard sounds like that in other cars when certain ball joints in the suspension started to wear out.

Do you have access to some slanted driveways? I think it'll be helpful if you can reproduce the sound in order to narrow down the source.

I've heard sounds like that in other cars when certain ball joints in the suspension started to wear out.

It happens when I leave my house driveway, just not every time and I don’t think I can make it happen over and over again.

If I can reproduce it like that, it’ll be easy to show the mobile tech but I was hoping someone would recognize the sound. :/ I’ll try to find a place to reproduce it.

I brought my car in for service shortly after my last message above. Service said they fixed something and I haven't heard it since.

"Removed Passenger side interior and confirmed Body seam joint flexing. Performed Adjustments and verified with the Lead Technician. Noise is no longer present."

I hope the fix is permanent.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I brought my car in for service shortly after my last message above. Service said they fixed something and I haven't heard it since.

"Removed Passenger side interior and confirmed Body seam joint flexing. Performed Adjustments and verified with the Lead Technician. Noise is no longer present."

I hope the fix is permanent.
I don't like the vague language here. It doesn't necessarily mean the car is properly fixed, and the winter weather may have caused just enough thermal contraction to mask the issue.

A permanent fix would most likely have required welding, bolting or riveting of the joint to prevent the flexing, assuming the two parts are meant to be fixed together and stationary.

A temporary fix would have been to lubricate it so it will flex silently. If the two parts are meant to move slightly in relation to one another, this could also be a correct fix in this case.

Thanks for the follow-up. I remember in my used Model S (both of them) I could hear sunroof-area flexing when exiting my driveway. I'll have to listen closely (no radio etc) with my 15-month-old M3P and see if it does the same thing. Fixed roof should mean no flexing.

I don't like the vague language here. It doesn't necessarily mean the car is properly fixed, and the winter weather may have caused just enough thermal contraction to mask the issue.

A permanent fix would most likely have required welding, bolting or riveting of the joint to prevent the flexing, assuming the two parts are meant to be fixed together and stationary.

A temporary fix would have been to lubricate it so it will flex silently. If the two parts are meant to move slightly in relation to one another, this could also be a correct fix in this case.

Thanks for the follow-up. I remember in my used Model S (both of them) I could hear sunroof-area flexing when exiting my driveway. I'll have to listen closely (no radio etc) with my 15-month-old M3P and see if it does the same thing. Fixed roof should mean no flexing.
I agree with you. I hope it’s a perm fix but it was very vague and since it wasn’t happening every time I was surprised and at least happy they did something. Unfortunately I’m out of warranty now and also hyper aware listening for this to come back.

Reactions: tm1v2