Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struggling between Model 3 RWD and AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am struggling between RWD and AWD(Around A$18000 difference with subsidy in VIC). Tesla just called me today says all new model 3 will comes with AMD chip(which they were not sure when I call them).

Looks like the difference are: Handling, range, acceleration, Audio, Wheels(A$2200), dual motors badge, interior lights, floor mats. Does those really worth A$18000? it cost a brand new 2021 MG MG3(drive away: A$17940).

I will mod the car a little bit eg: change to 20' aftermarket rims, and lower the car a bit, I am afraid I will lose lot of range if I choose RWD.

I've driven my SR+ from Albury NSW to Melbourne without needing to stop and charge, even with your mods you should be able to get 300kms in range from a RWD.
As you're asking about range if you can charge at home, you probably need to work out whether you're regularly doing long trips where you'd prefer to be doing 4 hour rather than 3 hour driving stints.

Over the last ~14 months the value of the RWD/SR+ has changed incredibly.
  • Battery has gone from ~52 kWh (approx 320 km real range), to ~55 kWh LFP (starting Dec 2020, approx 350 km real range) to ~60 kWh LFP (starting Nov 2021, approx 380 km real range).
  • In the same time, the price has dropped - a $7k drop in late 2020, a $4k drop in about April 2021 and another $3k drop in July 2021.
  • Feature improvements include charging benefits enabled by the LFP battery; heat pump; new centre console with wireless phone charging, additional USB ports including glovebox, double-pane front windows; heated rear seats and steering wheel; motorised tailgate; as well as changes expected to be introduced in vehicles on the next shipment, such as AMD Ryzen processor, Lithium auxiliary "12V" battery, heated wipers, improved tail light config. Oh, and floor mats are included!
Also not directly Tesla related but:
  • Many states have introduced incentives (with around a $2.5k - $6k value depending on the state).
  • Nothing to do with Tesla, but the improved public DC charging infrastructure makes range less of a concern
There have been some limited regressions in features - hooks in frunk, slightly slower motor (0-60 of 6.1s instead of 5.6-something), passenger seat lumbar support.

The AWD/LR will still appear to many who crave acceleration, performance, premium audio - as well as those who frequently travel in areas with lacking charging infrastructure - but the SR+ model is anything but bog standard these days!

The current M3 RWD represents phenomenal value for what you get, especially in states where you also qualify for incentives and rebates. On the exterior, both the RWD and LR looks nearly identical, apart from the 19" wheels on the LR (also an optional upgrade for RWD) and the Dual Motor badge on the rear trunk lid. Not many people will notice the lack of fog lights on the RWD.

For most folks who want the benefits of an EV to get from A to B in a suburban environment efficiently with the least impact on the environment, plus experience the zippiness and response of an electric drive train... the RWD will more than deliver. It will do longer road trips too, just needs a bit more planning and charge awareness. There's no lack in terms of tech like Autopilot, remote app management etc.

That being said, the additional benefits of the LR would be a larger battery pack (subject possibly to long term degradation) and the AWD drivetrain (adds more performance and traction). Are these benefits worth the extra $18K to you? You need to consider what you personally value in a car and the driving experience. The larger battery and extra drive unit cannot be added or retrofitted at a later stage, so you keep this in mind.

Ask yourself this: is 0-100 in 6.1s too slow?
Do you need AWD?
Do you need an extra 100km range?
Do you need the better audio?

I ordered the RWD with the 19” wheels. I know I’ll lose 10% range but I had checked ABRP and it still easily goes anywhere I need to with plenty of buffer (not to mention charging infrastructure will only get better). Also I can charge to 100% without stressing. So RWD was better for me, but it comes down to the individual.

I am currently waiting for delivery of my LR and have seen this question come up increasingly often in the last couple of weeks.
The only benefit of the SR is price.
(And the 18” wheels which I wish were an option on the LR, they look cool).

The SR is ~50% slower 0-100 than LR.
The LR has a ~49% bigger battery.
The LR has premium interior (audio, lights)
The LR has two motors.
The LR has faster DC charging.

Real world range of the SR in AUS is ~380km.
Real world range of LR in Aus is ~480km.
That’s approx 26% more range.

If your travelling in areas that are outside of main highways, or your like me and like to drive for 4 hour stints instead of stopping every 3 hours then the LR is the choice.

If you are coming from a performance car then you will obviously value the acceleration and responsiveness of the LR.

If your coming from a lower end car or don’t care about performance then the SR will still feel fast.

Test drive back to back and it’s obvious that the LR is much, much quicker from a standstill but also rolling acceleration is on another level.

The comparison above is not realistic as it perpetuates the current fear mongering about charging on the LR.
Put simply, the LFP is used in the SR because it is cheaper, and heavier.
Not because it is superior.
You can safely charge the LR (and P) to 100% if you are leaving on a trip so these latest comparisons are not realistic.
Watch Bjorn Nyland videos and you will see some real world accurate testing.

Download ABRP and pop in some trips you would realistically do and you might find (like I have) that the LR removes the need to stop at all (Sydney to Tamworth) or that you simply can’t sensibly get where you need to go with the SR (drive coastal road from Sydney to Melbourne).

It’s not fear mongering, read the owners manual. There is no recommendation for daily charging limits.

It comes down to the individual. There is no right or wrong decision, get whatever is better for your particular circumstance. For me it’s the RWD, for many others it’s the LR which is great.

The only benefit of the SR is price.

Yes, but that is a given as it is a lower-end model. The price difference is still substantial.

The other benefit is weight; AWD and additional battery makes the LR more than 200kg more heavy and affects its steering feel.

If you aren't travelling on snow / dirt, AWD is wasted with the quality of traction control systems now in cars.

The LR has premium interior (audio, lights)

What's the difference in lights?

The SR is ~50% slower 0-100 than LR.

Well yeah if you look at it in-terms of percentage. It's 6.1s vs. 4.4s now.

I must say however, the number of times I use the acceleration on my Model 3 (which is a bit quicker at 5.6s) in minimal during normal responsible driving. Even when driving a twisty road, the acceleration is too quick and rapid to really enjoy (especially if you have any passengers in the car).

It's still a pretty quick car and will feel faster because of the instantaneous torque.

The final thing I want to note is range. Most of the time I've had the car, it could have had 200km of range and I would have been ok. I can charge it overnight easily, and it is rare that I travel more than 200km in a day. When I do, the supercharger network is there and I like taking breaks every 2 hours. All I'm saying is, don't pay for range you will never use :)

Not saying the LR version isn't a good car...it's just not as clear cut as your post made it out to be.

The OP post is about the differences in the cars. And specifically mentions range.

Your post is literally the exact kind of “information” that I am talking about, making out like the LR is an unnecessary option.

In “your” circumstance, the SR does the job. It’s adequate for “your” needs.

- don’t accelerate fast
- don’t drive anywhere requiring range
- taking breaks every 2 hours

We are saying the same thing.
The SR is a good car. But the LR is significantly better in every aspect.

If the SR meets “your” needs then that’s great. But if you value any of the things I mentioned in my first post, then it’s an obvious choice between the two…

It’s not fear mongering, read the owners manual. There is no recommendation for daily charging limits.

It comes down to the individual. There is no right or wrong decision, get whatever is better for your particular circumstance. For me it’s the RWD, for many others it’s the LR which is great.
I have read the manual, no need to be rude.
And I would consider it fearmongering when people make out like the LR and P can’t be charged to 100% without immediate irreversible damage.
It’s ridiculous.

And the LR at 90% is still more range than the SR at 100%.
With the added bonus of 10% more charge as and when you need it.

If your like a lot of Tesla owners you have solar too, so having the car at 100% all the time is irrelevant as cant make use of solar when available.

The OP post is about the differences in the cars. And specifically mentions range.

Your post is literally the exact kind of “information” that I am talking about, making out like the LR is an unnecessary option.

In “your” circumstance, the SR does the job. It’s adequate for “your” needs.

- don’t accelerate fast
- don’t drive anywhere requiring range
- taking breaks every 2 hours

We are saying the same thing.
The SR is a good car. But the LR is significantly better in every aspect.

If the SR meets “your” needs then that’s great. But if you value any of the things I mentioned in my first post, then it’s an obvious choice between the two…
Yes I completely agree with your post.

OP, test drive both and review specs of both cars and buy according to your needs. That’s what I did and the choice was clear.

Good luck

Edit: wasn’t being rude, sorry if it seems that way. They are both great cars! No need for a SR vs LR debate.

While I am struggling between RWD and AWD(Around A$18000 difference with subsidy in VIC). Tesla just called me today says all new model 3 will comes with AMD chip(which they were not sure when I call them).

Looks like the difference are: Handling, range, acceleration, Audio, Wheels(A$2200), dual motors badge, interior lights, floor mats. Does those really worth A$18000? it cost a brand new 2021 MG MG3(drive away: A$17940).

I will mod the car a little bit eg: change to 20' aftermarket rims, and lower the car a bit, I am afraid I will lose lot of range if I choose RWD.
You might also factor in resale value .. I've always assumed that AWD is the more desirable car when selling.

As you can see it’s a subjective thing that’s becoming more passionate as more and more are on the road. Listing percentages is great when you are trying to prove a point but can manipulate the intent fairly easily. That said, I’ve never heard a LR buyer say “I wish I’d bought an SR” and most SR owners quickly realize that the range it has adequately meets their needs. I’m sure there would be some SR owners who wish they had LR but are unlikely to openly admit that on a forum! 😂
There are often discussions about a charging stop less is required for LR which is true on some routes. You will need to ask how often are you REALISTICALLY going to do those routes?

Something that hasn’t been mentioned above is battery degradation. Do your own research between the two and see what you are comfortable with.

The LR is a fair chunk more and you need to assess whether that is value for money in your circumstances or not. Only you will be able to accurately make that assessment.

Fellow SR owner

You might also factor in resale value .. I've always assumed that AWD is the more desirable car when selling.

On this, the difference assuming a 3 year ownership period (short I know but thats what i do) is around $9,200.
So for the additional benefits it is a much smaller difference than it would first appear.

I would consider a SR for a second car, it's not that I have some problem with the car itself, its brilliant.
It just grinds my gears when posters insinuate that the SR solves all of lifes problems and has enough range, enough speed, enough "gadgets" for everyone, without considering the use cases.

It is like shopping for a Audi 5 series.
I am swapping to the M3LR from a 2020 S5.
I could have bought the A5 if I didn't care for the extra speed, extra comfort, extra power, quattro drivetrain and so on.
But I didnt, because the benefits, to me, are well worth the extra cash.

It's more desirable yes.. but it also value compresses on resale..

That $10k electronic assist pack new on the BMW or Audi might only be worth $1-2k when you sell it.

In a Tesla in 5-yrs I think the battery size (and Max charge) will be more important than AWD v RWD.
Although sadly Tesla never offered a LR RWD in Australia so you don't really have the option.

Based on a couple of brief test drives (I have a S as my daily) - the SR+ is a great car, and the LR an even better one. If I was trading I'd go for the LR because it's closer to what I have now, but probably in a Y rather than a 3. Like Simohagz I traded from an Audi originally so I'm biased - I've been spoilt on good AWD systems.

But as has been said many times, only you can know if the LR is $18k worth of "better".