Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struggling to decide when / how to buy a Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is the speed boost worth buying model y seems rapid already

I think it is mostly in the 0-40. So unless you are an away-from-the-lights driver then you may not notice the difference.

I have a stretch of road near here with a couple of markers, about 200M apart. Approach at 40MPH (on cruise) and floor it at the first marker. Model-S Raven LR, M3 AWD LR both get to exactly 90, and the MY LR to 86. On paper those cars have quite a bit of difference in their 0-60.

Sadly I never did that particular test when I did have a performance model. If anyone drops by with something interesting I'll arm-twist they to try that.

I haven't driven the M3 Performance, but the MS Performance was very different to the bog-standard one. Launch it, no drama, ever. Launch it in the wet; Launch it at the lights on a roundabout when taking the first (i.e. 90-degree) exit. Do that in the wet. It never missed a beat, I never had to lift off or feather.

All the bog standard MS that I have driven (loaners and my replacement non-P) scrabble a bit under full throttle from a standing start.

I don't know why ordinary MS scrabble and MSP is so well sorted - maybe the push from the bigger rear motor? But if M3P is as well sorted as MSP then that must be exciting to drive. I reckon you won't get that from AB, just more punch.