Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struggling with my choice of P90D w/FUSC or 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're talking about a thousand bucks a year worst case on a car which depreciates by a thousand bucks a month, right? Yes these are round numbers but the point holds. If you're putting the 20k on each year that it even takes to hit that amount spent on supercharging then the depreciation of the car totally swamps the money you save. Get the features that you want and don't sweat the cost of charging. In terms of total ownership cost it's not a dominant factor.

(Math: $1000 at 17c/kWh is 5880 kWh, figure 400 Wh/mile to get 14,700 miles, assume at least 5k on destination charging because nobody is enough of a fool to do all their charging at a Supercharger just to save the remaining $20/month)

Reactions: AMPd
I think this is one of those decisions that every person is going to need to make for themselves based on what they value the most. I did get to have a conversation with my DS the other day though and for me it would have been rather costly to change. I apparently didn't schedule my build out far enough (rookie mistake <grin>) so I would have literally had to cancel the whole thing and lose my initial deposit...then buy the car again and lose FUSC and lose the vent seats as well. My color config did still exist...but I would not have wanted it with solid seats...and my second choice does not exist within the new bundles.

One piece of info that I did get from my DS though that made things a bit easier for me was the fact that I can pay to upgrade the battery later (say if Tesla comes out with a 150KW pack) because the FUSC goes with the car, not the battery pack. Yeah, it's going to cost more to do that...but I lose too much going the other way.

I'll admit I'm not totally loving the way that this all worked out. I saw how Tesla handled the P90D to P100D upgrades and thought that we would be given the same option to upgrade. That didn't happen...so a little disappointed in that. However, to me...I really want the FUSC because that's going to motivate me to get out and take the road trips and vacations that I've otherwise been putting off. As I've said to my friends, if I pay this much for a car and only drive it back and forth to work then I'm really not getting the full value out of it.

Wholeheartedly agree with you and thanks for sharing the DS convo info about upgrading to a better pack in the future while still being able to keep FUSC. This is the bet I'm relying on if I end up deciding soon with the 90D instead of the 100D. I too was banking on the same options being available to us 90D people as was with the P90D ($10K pre-delivery or $20K for post-delivery while still keeping their FUSC). And I already have a few road trips lined up (like catching the total solar eclipse in Aug/17) and don't want to think about being nickeled and dimed on my adventures.