Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strut noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AIbEiAIAAABECJq7hKLY09DSugEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKihhNDYxNjA4MTYwN2QwNjk3YTdlNjJiODJlOGI2Y2E3MTBjOTMyZmYwMAHPClRnyDeCwL3BDs2EptD_bnH02Q

Roger Bohl <[email protected]>
1:01 PM (4 minutes ago)

For several weeks, I had been detecting a maddening, tiny "clicking" noise seemingly emanating from somewhere around the passenger seat of our "3". Noticeable when driving slowly, when the car "rolled" a bit -- side-side. I thought it was something loose under the seat. I sounded like a small bolt loose inside a plastic film canister -- a "dry" "click" -- not a "clunk" -- and there's a lot of sensor and electrical "stuff" under the seat. When the car was in for its AP2 upgrade, Tesla couldn't hear it.

The noise became a little more prevalent, and when I stopped at the Tesla SC on Friday to pick up some wiper blades, I asked a rep to take a ride, he immediately heard the noise. By now, I recognized that the click occurred when the RF wheel went over a little bump, and began suspecting something in the RF suspension, perhaps a loose mounting bolt, and the shop held the car for inspection.

Today, the next working day, the shop called and reported that the noise had indeed been traced to the RFstrut, and it has been replaced -- under warranty, of course. I'm not sure what, inside a strut, might produce a clicking noise, but better it be found while under warranty.