Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struts That Make Trunk and Frunk Pop Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have the EVannex ones, and I didn't even know about the handles inside the trunk.

i just tried it now and it was very easy to pull down using those handles, even with the trunk struts. I could even do it with one hand easily. I pull it low enough until I can use the other hand to finish closing by pulling down the top of the trunk (or spoiler)

DISCLOSURE: I go to the gym every day, but I wouldn't consider myself overly strong

If you have a Costco near you, watch for the Road Shows where they bring in the tomahawks. Some damned fine meat!

Mmmm, I have had the Costco Tomahawk steaks. Very delicious!

A friend bet me he I couldn't eat one an extra huge $150 Tomahawk steak at one of the top steak restaurant here in Houston. I did it, he would pay for it. I don't even remember what I bet him because I knew he was losing. He was pissed.

So, I have the EVannex ones, and I didn't even know about the handles inside the trunk.

i just tried it now and it was very easy to pull down using those handles, even with the trunk struts. I could even do it with one hand easily. I pull it low enough until I can use the other hand to finish closing by pulling down the top of the trunk (or spoiler)

DISCLOSURE: I go to the gym every day, but I wouldn't consider myself overly strong

You're going to cost me a week of free steaks! Even though almost all cars have them. Can't believe RPM Tesla is making money selling ugly license plate handles when there are 2 already inside the trunk.

And it's kinda hard to imagine that any gas struts that you would put on the trunk could hold up a 215 lbs guy pulling down hard on them.... But hey, he the one that wants to bet!

You're going to cost me a week of free steaks! Even though almost all cars have them. Can't believe RPM Tesla is making money selling ugly license plate handles when there are 2 already inside the trunk.

And it's kinda hard to imagine that any gas struts that you would put on the trunk could hold up a 215 lbs guy pulling down hard on them.... But hey, he the one that wants to bet!

Sorry, let me clarify. Obviously you can LOWER the lid using the inside handles. That's not CLOSING it, though. The idea with the licence plate doohickey is to do it with one hand.

You only get the steaks if you can lower AND CLOSE the lid using the inside handles.

Sorry, let me clarify. Obviously you can LOWER the lid using the inside handles. That's not CLOSING it, though. The idea with the licence plate doohickey is to do it with one hand.

You only get the steaks if you can lower AND CLOSE the lid using the inside handles.

Uh, the whole top of the trunk becomes your closing handle once you have lowered the trunk into range with the inside handles. Kinda like all trunks have worked since the first trunk was invented, which is why you don't need an ugly license plate handle.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
SO... @TLLMRRJ did you get that steak? ;)

aye @Fernand , with that super sugar crisp honeycomb hideout cool ass black M3 :p,

im a couple weeks in as a new owner and just going through these mod threads. you mentioned the metal balls on the back trunk, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&tag=tmc064-20&th=1 ,

do you also recommend a set for the front trunk?

also are the metal ball struts easy to replace with the plastic ones that come installed on the 3rd party struts?

i plan to get the struts from abstract ocean (on backorder at the moment) because his struts are less violent at the end of travel .

EDIT: :skip to 6:08 in the video to see the opening.

Last edited:

aye @Fernand , with that super sugar crisp honeycomb hideout cool ass black M3 :p,

im a couple weeks in as a new owner and just going through these mod threads. you mentioned the metal balls on the back trunk, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&tag=tmc064-20&th=1 ,

also are the metal ball struts easy to replace with the plastic ones that come installed on the 3rd party struts?

i plan to get the struts from abstract ocean (on backorder at the moment) because his struts are less violent at the end of travel .

the struts from abstract ocean link?

im sure the ones abstract use are used by other 3rd party sellers.

i've seen evannex 3rd party vendor (sp?) and they have a gif that shows the trunk opening and its a bit more jerky than the ones abstract uses, plus abstracts is half the cost of theirs. i emailed abstract and they stated late april, so we will see...

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
im sure the ones abstract use are used by other 3rd party sellers.

i've seen evannex 3rd party vendor (sp?) and they have a gif that shows the trunk opening and its a bit more jerky than the ones abstract uses, plus abstracts is half the cost of theirs. i emailed abstract and they stated late april, so we will see...

yeah definitely don't want jerky for this. A mobile tech said he's seen bent trunks and more frunks, + I think it's a safety issue if you're standing close.

I've since determined that contrary to my original belief I NEVER use the frunk. They fact that the only way to open it is from the app or the screen is enough of a reason. Not convenient at all. If there was a little button somewhere on the front that you could use to pop it when you walked up I might use it more, but even then it's small and covered in hard plastic so anything you put in there tends to rattle which is annoying. I've since resigned it to holding my tire repair kit and my snow brush so that I can wipe off the rear window without opening the trunk and risking it all sliding into the trunk itself. Other than that I don't open it.

If it helps, I've had the EVannex frunk and trunk ones for ten months now and they show no signs of wear, and nothing on the car is bent. They opened effortlessly even in the winter when it was close to zero degrees outside. I wouldn't necessarily say they open violently, but it definitely takes some effort to close the frunk and trunk (especially the trunk)

• Helpful
thanks for your experience with that product.

i posted a video of the absolute ocean one and compared it to the gif evannex have on their site. the ending when the lid is full up (evannex) is not tapered/dampened like the absolute one verison is, and that is what i am seeing.

I noticed the strut ends weren't changed out. The stock ones are angle, while the aftermarket are straight.

Angle strut ends.jpg

EDIT: :skip to 6:08 in the video to see the opening.

The metal strut balls replace plastic ones and vice versa. I don't think they are important on the front. On the back there was one case where the plastic broke and the flying strut damaged the glass that happens to be right next to it.

Over time it seems that i1Tesla's recommended replacement struts might not be quite strong enough, both front and back. I understand why he didn't want to go with stronger ones, and he tested well under his conditions, but it's borderline over a full temperature range.

I haven't done the cleaning, sanding and polishing of the balls yet, I keep forgetting. I think that's important, because with colder temps and leftovers of paint on the balls it's a lot of friction. Probably enough to prevent reliable opening with these particular struts.