Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Struts That Make Trunk and Frunk Pop Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FFAE42C2-B3AE-4E78-8CD1-05A449F48796.jpeg

For those having trouble closing the trunk with the new struts, this little handle from RPMTesla works quite nicely.

Reactions: focher and Rothgarr
I bought a pair of these and tried them out and they're way to strong. The frunk pops up violently and then wobbles like a tuning fork. :(

I tried two different brands. The one in the video and another one I found on Amazon. The reason I bought two is because the ones in the video had mixed reviews since they got restocked from lots of people saying they were too strong. I tried anyway, but the reviews were right. But the other ones are too strong too. I don't want to bend the hood so I ended up putting the OEM ones back on.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I bought everything on Amazon. Probably was $70 in, then plus the license plate "handle" from RPM (I searched a lot and could never find an alternative).

Trunk pops up well, and the frunk opens and closes with ease. Am I lucky or good?

View attachment 460351

For those having trouble closing the trunk with the new struts, this little handle from RPMTesla works quite nicely.

Totally agree. I haven't installed new struts yet, but even with the factory ones, the RPMTesla license plate brackets make closing the trunk a much more pleasant experience, particularly for those of us with black paint.

#NOMOREHANDPRINTSONTHETRUNK :)

I ordered a set of struts for the trunk off Amazon and it worked great for 3 weeks, until the temperature dropped. Once it hit the high 40s at night, the trunk no longer opens. It warmed up a couple days to the 70s and it started working again so it's definitely a temperature issue. I will be returning them. I just received the front struts that I1Tesla recommended and they work great. Is there a brand of trunk struts that definitely works in cold winter temperatures? Thank you.

I ordered a set of struts for the trunk off Amazon and it worked great for 3 weeks, until the temperature dropped. Once it hit the high 40s at night, the trunk no longer opens. It warmed up a couple days to the 70s and it started working again so it's definitely a temperature issue. I will be returning them. I just received the front struts that I1Tesla recommended and they work great. Is there a brand of trunk struts that definitely works in cold winter temperatures? Thank you.
So far my EVannex ones are holding up well in the cooler New England temps. I installed them in July. My car will be sitting outside tomorrow -- if I remember I will try to open the frunk/trunk while it's cold.

I suspect the struts vary a lot. But after the struts "break in" the whole brutal opening thing goes away. Then the issue is how well it works in the cold and after you haven't opened it in a while. Not anxiety provoking rocket science, different struts don't make a big difference in the forces. If you're determined to bend or twist the frunk, it's not very strong metal, you can do that on the factory struts too.

A weaker spring on the latch mechanism - though not as weak as the one i1Tesla was testing - is also nice, makes latching the lid softer.

View attachment 460351

Annoying since I bought that in the stainless, and it doesn’t fit on my Model 3 at all. I think it’s because my 3 (and any even slightly newer 3) has the plastic riveted bracket behind the plate frame so it doesn’t line up. All the install pics I’ve seen of the rpmtesla plate handle seem to assume you just have the plate frame on the metal of the car. The handle part barely sticks out past the frame on my car, and crooked too.

Anyway, unless something has changed recently with the design of the plate handle, I don’t recommend this product.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Annoying since I bought that in the stainless, and it doesn’t fit on my Model 3 at all. I think it’s because my 3 (and any even slightly newer 3) has the plastic riveted bracket behind the plate frame so it doesn’t line up. All the install pics I’ve seen of the rpmtesla plate handle seem to assume you just have the plate frame on the metal of the car. The handle part barely sticks out past the frame on my car, and crooked too.

Anyway, unless something has changed recently with the design of the plate handle, I don’t recommend this product.

Shoot. I just bought this. Find it on my own - hadn't seen this thread yet.

I'll report back how it fits.

For the people who have done this and don't like how snappy the opening is, there's some help. I can assure you mine do not go BANG no mo'. They open so gracefully I've sometimes doubted the trunk opened until I looked.

On the Trunk, replace the ball sockets that came on the new struts with metal ones. This adds under $15. Why bother? Because 1) these are metal on metal and will not pop off or wear to the point of popping off like happened to a guy (and chipped the window). 2) They grip the ball tighter, making the opening process very chill and gentle. Make sure the ball is well lubed for cold weather. No Big Bang.

Thanks for the tip. I ordered the ones you linked and the thread opening is too small.. I'm on the hunt for a similar product with a slightly larger thread opening. I believe your link is for an M6 thread and I may need an M8 thread (?). Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Or you could use the handy built in handles that the Tesla engineers made for you on both the left and the right sides of the inside of the trunk lid. They are included free of charge.

They don't work with the struts. Neither myself nor my very strong husband are strong enough to "underhand throw" the truck closed from inside the trunk. Do you have the struts? They are very strong and need make it so you need quite a substantial force to close the trunk.

They don't work with the struts. Neither myself nor my very strong husband are strong enough to "underhand throw" the truck closed from inside the trunk. Do you have the struts? They are very strong and need make it so you need quite a substantial force to close the trunk.

Well, I can do pull ups with my palms facing me, but I eat a lot of meat.