Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck at 12-15A ... how to reset max charge current?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching but had no great luck.

Anyone debugged this issue? This week I rented a place, and the owner generously shared his Roadster wall Charger, but asked me to limit to 12A to avoid tripping his breaker.

I’m back home, and on my 70A capable charger ... but the car refuses to offer me charge current other than 12-15A.

I’ve never seen this before. Any tips?

Dave

Dave,

My apologies if this is a dumb question, but have you tried changing the amperage AFTER it starts charging using your wall connector? I’ve noticed that sometimes it gets locked between 12-15A if you’re trying to raise the amperage before it’s actively charging, or if you have it on a charge timer. If you wait until the cycle begins, the plus sign will no longer be grayed out after about 30 seconds of charging.

Try starting a charge, letting it begin (wait for it to show amps on the VDS), then attempt to raise the current.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
Dave,

My apologies if this is a dumb question, but have you tried changing the amperage AFTER it starts charging using your wall connector? I’ve noticed that sometimes it gets locked between 12-15A if you’re trying to raise the amperage before it’s actively charging, or if you have it on a charge timer. If you wait until the cycle begins, the plus sign will no longer be grayed out after about 30 seconds of charging.

Try starting a charge, letting it begin (wait for it to show amps on the VDS), then attempt to raise the current.

Nailed it! That was exactly right. I’m charging at 70A again.

I hadn’t seen that in a while because my Roadster is set to charge at midnight.

Also, FWIW, I am charging off one of two Tesla HPWC on a shared 90A circuit. I found the TeslaTap 80A adapter and Henry Sharp’s CAN-JR work well together, and between the two of them, I can charge off Tesla or old standard chargers all over the place.

Dave

• Love
Reactions: DeedWest
Nailed it! That was exactly right. I’m charging at 70A again.

I hadn’t seen that in a while because my Roadster is set to charge at midnight.

Also, FWIW, I am charging off one of two Tesla HPWC on a shared 90A circuit. I found the TeslaTap 80A adapter and Henry Sharp’s CAN-JR work well together, and between the two of them, I can charge off Tesla or old standard chargers all over the place.

Dave

Excellent! Glad you’re happily charging at 70A again.