TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Stuck/frozen brakes after car wash and soaking.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by quickstrike12, Oct 10, 2018.

1. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

I know this has been discussed a few times. But I’m wondering if anyone knows of a way to help alleviate this a bit. I washed and cleaned the car and put away last night in garage. In the morning the brakes were so frozen to the calipers the normal “creep” letting off the brake wouldn’t get it free. I had to give it much more pedal in my tiny garage than you would be comfortable with. Startled me when it broke free and jumped. Plus it sounds absolutely terrible!!
    Is there anything that helps this not happen so badly? Or a way to get it free your aware of safer?

Thanks guys.

2. Drlev

Drlev Member

This is 100% normal. It’s just a little rust on the brakes. A small amount of light braking will rub off the rust once you start moving. As far as preventing it goes? Go for a short drive after washing and use the brakes to dry them?

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Drive around the block once you’re done washing. Problem solved. Plus very satisfying. :)

• Like x 2
  4. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

That’s probably the simplest and best way I guess. A bit inconvenient sometimes while I’m wet and sweaty from just washing and drying etc....but I guess I’ll have to start doing this.
    Any idea why it’s different on these cars tho? I’ve been washing various other cars for years and not seen this. Is it something unique about the pads or discs Tesla uses?

5. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Perhaps it's the style of wheels. Open spokes allow more water to get on the brake discs, maybe your other cars had hubcaps that kept the discs dry.

6. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Isn't it that Tesla is using the brake pads to lock the wheels in park whereas most other cars are not?

• Like x 1
  7. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

Most cars use the drum for the parking brake. Tesla uses the rotor.

8. quickstrike12

quickstrike12 Member

Your right. The answer was right in front of me.
    I feel dumb now.

Thanks

9. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Nope, my precious two ICEs did this too.

10. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

Good brakes rust more. It is the iron in the metal rotor that rusts. Normal and it is a good sign.

Like someone else said just give her a quick drive with a little brake application and you should be good.

11. Raechris

Raechris Member

Even overnight condensation causes this for me. My car appears to have a partially frozen rear caliper after 9 months. Happened to my Volt too but after 2+ years