Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in "car off" mode, need help, any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The gateway is an entirely separate computer, contained within the MCU unit, but separate from the “cid” computer (CID stands for center instrument display or something like that and runs the 17” screen and entertainment apps). The gateway is a small computer that talks to all the devices in the car on the Ethernet, canbus and LIN networks and it also assists with updating all the body controllers, etc. It runs FreeRTOS as its OS, I believe, and it contains important car configuration information, among other things. Anytime you have a weird car behavior and soft reboots of the MCU/cid don’t work, always worth a power cycle to get the gateway computer to reset.

Got it. Good info. Thanks again! Let me know where to send you the box of Butterfingers

You sir are a genius!!

That indeed worked. Thank you so much!!
This worked for me as well. Thank you! FYI, service calls this a 12v reset and discourages you from doing it. I also learned that changing your wheel configuration performs a pretty low-level reset and solves this issue as well and is much more convenient.

My car (2020 X) kept doing this and I had to take it in for service. Service center says it was caused by "corrupt SD card was causing computer gateway issues".

This worked for me as well. Thank you! FYI, service calls this a 12v reset and discourages you from doing it. I also learned that changing your wheel configuration performs a pretty low-level reset and solves this issue as well and is much more convenient.

My car (2020 X) kept doing this and I had to take it in for service. Service center says it was caused by "corrupt SD card was causing computer gateway issues".
Thank you so much! Changing wheel configuration worked!

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and All In

This saved me the night before a planned 5 day road trip!! Thank you so much. I was just about to start panicking.

Is it something we can fix at home or we have to setup a service call?

Just had this issue and support had me change the wheel configuration (don’t forget to remember what your wheel configuration is). This will cause you computer to reboot, wait about 3-5 mins and if the car doesn’t turn back on, press the break and check to see if you can put the car on drive. Next, change the wheel configuration back (don’t forget to do this. This is very important). This again will cause the car to reboot again. Wait the 3-5 mins again and then test driving again.
This all worked for me.

You are all amazing. Had this issue happen to my 2020 X this morning, and changing the wheel configuration worked.

Yeesh, what an annoying thing to have happen. Again, thanks to all of you for this info to make it much less painful to resolve.

I had the same issue and did what ptbeale suggested. No help. I still got the “car off” display. CalledTesla through the app and it looks like I have to take it to the service center.
Just a couple of things for anyone like me who has never taken the fronk apart. Some of the clips on my 2018 model s don’t just pull off like the YouTube video suggests. If they are hard, look for a way to release them with a pry from a screwdriver. Just pulling breaks them😀. But the video helped a lot.

The gateway is an entirely separate computer, contained within the MCU unit, but separate from the “cid” computer (CID stands for center instrument display or something like that and runs the 17” screen and entertainment apps). The gateway is a small computer that talks to all the devices in the car on the Ethernet, canbus and LIN networks and it also assists with updating all the body controllers, etc. It runs FreeRTOS as its OS, I believe, and it contains important car configuration information, among other things. Anytime you have a weird car behavior and soft reboots of the MCU/cid don’t work, always worth a power cycle to get the gateway computer to reset.
I’m having the same problem. I went through all of the suggestion this thread including the battery disconnect, but nothing helped. The most recent software download, which I got the day that I was working with it, seemed to fix the problem. It has been ok for the last week, but last night I got stuck again. I tried everything but nothing would get rid of the “car off “ display and give me gear selection. Finally I tried to open the trunk with the key fob and it woke up. Something’s wrong!