Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in deliberation, Offset for 255/35/20 tires for standard gray calipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been combing through the sub's trying too find some answers on offsets. I'm looking to buy some 20x9's to put on my 2018 stealth P3D (with UPP mild springs). I have the standard gray calipers. I believe +35 would fit but it might poke more than I want. Will +38 work with 255/35/20's or will the inside knuckle rub? So far it seems like this will work without rubbing or poking out.

Some of my research:

Arctic Blue with 255/35/20's PS4 tires on red calipers
255/35/20's on 20x9.0 Uberturbine for a 2021 P3D with red calipers. Offset is +34. This leads me to believe I could fit +38 on my 2019 stealth P3D. Maybe I should try +37, or +36?

Beastmode13 with 255/40/19 PS4S tires on red calipers, standard offset I believe
Q:"Can you tell me what’s the clearance in the upper control arm area? My concern is that the tires I bought is a hair bigger than yours so it might or might not clear the front upper control arm"
A: "Depends on the brake you have, with P3 red calipers you will need 3mm spacer to get clearance. With the silver caliper, you will be fine. Without the 3mm spacer, it will rub, see photos attached. Red caliper brakes have rotor hat what is only 2.5mm thick, while the siliver caliper brakes have rotor hat that is ~7mm thick, this effectively changes the offset of the wheel."

MODEL+ with 20x9 +38on front, 245/35/20 Toyo Extensa HP II tires, gray calipers. This is the fit I want on my grays.

20x9 +30 front, red calipers

Another option is to order two in +38 and two in +35. I've got 15mm spacer. If the +38 fits on the front I keep if and put the +35 on the rear. If not I put the +35 on the front, and the +38 on the rear with a 15 mm spacer. Or get a 5mm spacer for the rear with the +38's. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Honestly think you'll be fine either way. However, I recommend doing a 245/35/20 tire as that will give you a closer diameter ratio to stock.

Danny
Definitely want the 255/35/20's. It the reason I'm going with the 9.0's and paying an extra $500 on wheels (will recoup in lower tires cost though). Makes it more difficult though as very few people have gone that way with the gray calipers so far.

Did someone say +35 and "POKE!" What's up with everyone here and mid 30s offset lol.
The gray brakes have like +4 offset vs red brakes. Then add a 9.0 rim (+7 mm poke) and a 255 tire (+10 mm poke vs stock) and you have compounding effects. Ive seen +30 on red calipers and those stick out more than I want.

I don't want the added drag or rocker panel damage from wheels sticking out more than not. I already put small mud flaps on to prevent further rock chips on the rocker panels.

What offsets are you thinking of?

This is basically how I want the front at +38 but 255's will be 0.15 inch wider (tread width) on both the inside and outside so not sure if it will rub inside.

Last edited:
Did someone say +35 and "POKE!" What's up with everyone here and mid 30s offset lol.

The gray brakes have like +4 offset vs red brakes. Then add a 9.0 rim (+7 mm poke) and a 255 tire (+10 mm poke vs stock) and you have compounding effects. Ive seen +30 on red calipers and those stick out more than I want.

I don't want the added drag or rocker panel damage from wheels sticking out more than not. I already put small mud flaps on to prevent further rock chips on the rocker panels.

This is basically how I want the front at +38 but 255's will be 5mm wider on both the inside and outside so not sure if it will rub inside.
Don't listen to that guy... his build is on a different dimension.
I know this because I sold im the parts 🤣

This is basically how I want the front at +38 but 255's will be 0.15 inch wider (tread width) on both the inside and outside so not sure if it will rub inside.

My fronts are 20x9 +15s with 255's. They are tucked in currently more than I want. It's all going to depend on how much camber you want. If you want 0 camber it might poke a bit. Even just lowering the car without adjustable control arms and my +15 wheels were tucked.

We're not gonna talk about the +20s 10.5 I have in the back :p
20210411_132129.jpg