Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in mud

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife went to store and when pulling into the driveway of my brother's house she went off the gravel and sank into the mud. She was trying to get around a car parked. Sh should have just parked at end of driveway but thought she could drive through the mud. Tow truck is coming out now and if he can winch it out it's only $50. Will try posting pictures later. Don't know how to pist pictures from phone.

Attachments

• tmp_13487-20151128_0825422093731669.jpg
    tmp_13487-20151128_0825422093731669.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 438
Low profile tires, like those found on the Model S, have a very short contact patch length so they have little traction in mud. And the small tread blocks don't help either.

Now would be the time to research the tow points on the car. Not obvious by any means. You'll want to know exact where rather than relying on the tow driver guessing. I don't know where but pulling it out the wrong way could make a bad situation worse.

Not in the rear. And there's none in the early cars like mine.

The tow eye hook worked very well. I took the nosecone off, screwed it in, and the tow driver hooked the winch to it and it pulled right out.

Note to anyone attempting to tow with the tow hook do NOT use it for tugging. We did that and bent it pretty bad making almost impossible to get off and it screws in counter clockwise.

Very please with how well it worked. I wosh there was a similar way to use it on rear but very happy it has the one easily accessible tow point. I don't have air suspension but doubt that would have helped. We were stuck deep in mud. Plus side btw Tesla is sending me a new tow eye for free.

Happy for you!

Not happy for me, however: we early Model S-ers received the reverse-threaded hook site, and the recessed location for the tow eye....but no eye, and Tesla twice refused to provide me one (European early owners did receive it, however). And now you get a second one. Mph.

If you still have your hands on your mucked-up one....and want to get rid of it...PM me.

Happy for you!

Not happy for me, however: we early Model S-ers received the reverse-threaded hook site, and the recessed location for the tow eye....but no eye, and Tesla twice refused to provide me one (European early owners did receive it, however). And now you get a second one. Mph.

If you still have your hands on your mucked-up one....and want to get rid of it...PM me.

I attempted uploading a picture of it but when I get the replacement one that should be no problem.

Cyclone, I've got the threaded hole in my #21451, and the storage slot for the eye. You'll have to prise open the nosecone and see for yourself. What's your build-date or VIN (more or less, if you're squirrely about showing the #)?

Cyclone, I've got the threaded hole in my #21451, and the storage slot for the eye. You'll have to prise open the nosecone and see for yourself. What's your build-date or VIN (more or less, if you're squirrely about showing the #)?

P078xx from early 2013. I will have to try popping off the nosecone for the first time and see. I definitely do NOT have the storage slot.

Funny enough, I got into some mud a couple of weeks ago. I parked off to the side of a relative's driveway in some mud without realizing it. They thought for sure I'd be stuck. I was 50/50 in my thinking.

Went back to the car after a bit, and it drove off with no issue. 5000 lbs of AWD justice.

Not sure I'd have had the same success with the RWD S though...

Additionally, the D versions don't have the spot for storing the eye bolt in the frunk. :(