Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in mud

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got stuck in mud once - no hook on my car or threaded hole - I used the slots in the steel bumper with a come-along strap with hooks wrapped around an Xterra trailer hitch, hooks facing inward so they'd stay in place. A little sketchy but it worked fine
OFFROAD4.jpg

TMC = Tesla Motors Club. This forum.
TM = Tesla Motors. The company. The one that gave you the storage bag

/pedantic

I suspect he meant UMC bag, vs TMC bag. But yes, you are correct :)

Mine also came in the UMC bag. Funny, I thought that was the stylus for the main display until the guy at the service center kindly notified me of such during my visit for the third screen replacement.

I got stuck in mud once - no hook on my car or threaded hole - I used the slots in the steel bumper with a come-along strap with hooks wrapped around an Xterra trailer hitch, hooks facing inward so they'd stay in place. A little sketchy but it worked fine
View attachment 102789
Not the best plan. Take a look in the owner's manual. it shows exactly how to tow the vehicle properly without the tow eye. (hooks near the wheel wells under the vehicle)

Not the best plan. Take a look in the owner's manual. it shows exactly how to tow the vehicle properly without the tow eye. (hooks near the wheel wells under the vehicle)

not the best but as WK057 says - no way to hook to the holes in the suspension when you are stuck like that (unless you can dig maybe). We had the Xterra just idling while making sure the hooks were not going to slip or tweak anything. Would not want to try what I did on any sort of incline

even trying to hook up to the points on a car not in mud is a bit tricky but doable

20151128_082521.jpg

20151128_082527.jpg

20151128_082533.jpg

20151128_082535.jpg

20151129_082419.jpg

Sorry for the delay I finally got a chance to upload these pictures. Yes I do have a RWD Tesla but I am certain that even a D wouldn't have been able to get out of this mess. Years ago someone with a 4-wheel Drive vehicle (Explorer) got stuck going off the side very similar to this. As you can see trying to tug it out bent the tow eye pretty good. It wenched out no problem though. It only screws in about 3 turns per the Kansas City Service Center. I'm very thankful that Ours at least has one spot to pull the car safely with.

Sure - it is totally dark outside now, so here are the best pictures possible :)

You need to take the liner half way out and underneath you'll find the eye bolt

View attachment 102777View attachment 102778

Learned something new. I was told that the D frunk did not have this, and I never bothered trying to take the liner off to confirm since it seemed weird that the whole liner would need to be removed to get to it. Thanks :)

- - - Updated - - -

I am certain that even a D wouldn't have been able to get out of this mess.

You'd be pretty surprised. The traction control on the D is quite impressive. Having that added traction and control with the front wheels makes a huge difference. Much more than I expected, even.

Learned something new. I was told that the D frunk did not have this, and I never bothered trying to take the liner off to confirm since it seemed weird that the whole liner would need to be removed to get to it. Thanks :)

- - - Updated - - -

You'd be pretty surprised. The traction control on the D is quite impressive. Having that added traction and control with the front wheels makes a huge difference. Much more than I expected, even.

I could be wrong but if you look how far sunk into the mud all the tires were I highly doubt AWD would've made any difference. We were sinking a little just while we tried digging it out.

I know that getting at the official tow points under the car is hard, but keep in mind that bumper is not designed to be pulled on, it's designed for force the other direction.
You will find MANY videos on youtube of people pulling bumpers and other parts off vehicles while trying to pull them out of mud or other obstacles. It tends to involve a lot of damage to both vehicles, and a high risk of injury or death.

I could be wrong but if you look how far sunk into the mud all the tires were I highly doubt AWD would've made any difference. We were sinking a little just while we tried digging it out.

Maybe. But the wheels in this pic look like they're above ground at least:

*shrugs*

Hopefully I never get stuck. I just know the few times I figured I would have been stuck, the D has pulled through for me.

I know that getting at the official tow points under the car is hard, but keep in mind that bumper is not designed to be pulled on, it's designed for force the other direction.
You will find MANY videos on youtube of people pulling bumpers and other parts off vehicles while trying to pull them out of mud or other obstacles. It tends to involve a lot of damage to both vehicles, and a high risk of injury or death.

I have to disagree with your advice.
The Tesla owners manual specifically recommends using the towing eye to pull on the front bumper support.

tow.PNG

I have to disagree with your advice.
The Tesla owners manual specifically recommends using the towing eye to pull on the front bumper support.
I think you misinterpreted my advice. I fully agree one should use the towing eye. My advice was for those who do not have one, they should not use the bumper in it's place. The towing eye is designed to be pulled on, the bumper itself is not.