Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in self consumption mode a week after granted PTO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this normal timeline? PTO got issued by PG&E last week. It's been over a week and after repeatedly calls to Tesla to "push the update," excess energy is not flowing back to grid. Is there something I'm missing?

Unfortunately only Tesla can unlock it and their system is a mess. Most likely something on your order is missing so it wasn't able to automatically remove the flag, so now you have to wait until someone from Tesla gets to your case and does it. It sucks, since there is no way to get access to level 2 support directly unless you know someone.

This is why smaller installers cost more, They have lots of people there to make sure your needs are taken care of and you can always get a hold of someone.

Tesla seems understaffed for the work they are trying to do. This means prices are cheap but communication is difficult and you will wait more. OTOH you probably spent less on the system, so spending some of your time might be the result if things go sideways.

This is why smaller installers cost more, They have lots of people there to make sure your needs are taken care of and you can always get a hold of someone.

Tesla seems understaffed for the work they are trying to do. This means prices are cheap but communication is difficult and you will wait more. OTOH you probably spent less on the system, so spending some of your time might be the result if things go sideways.
That's one of the reason I went with Sunrun, their Customer Service. Every time i call them, I get an answer. Also, the install wait time was a lot less. Granted I paid a bit more, but in the long run we will save $25k in 15 years

That's one of the reason I went with Sunrun, their Customer Service. Every time i call them, I get an answer. Also, the install wait time was a lot less. Granted I paid a bit more, but in the long run we will save $25k in 15 years
You'll save 25k in 15 years??? That seems like very optimistic at best, unless you got the solar system for free.

You'll save 25k in 15 years??? That seems like very optimistic at best, unless you got the solar system for free.
Our electric bill here in AZ has been $300-350 per month depending on how much we use the A/C in the summer time. Already, since activation our bills plummeted. We have saved total in the 3 months $225 INCLUDING the loan payment for the system. Our export credit for the 3 months totals $50. I think come summer export should be higher due to longer daylight.

Reactions: no2gates
Update: 12 days after PTO not a single peep from Tesla regarding when my system will fully function. A tier 2 ticket marked “urgent” was filed but no follow up.

Meanwhile it’s getting increasingly difficult to not let solar go to waste since my model 3 is getting fully charged from solar alone.

My 8.16kw system with 3 powerwalls saved $4658.76 the first year (5 minute data indexed through EV2A and several rate changes). The system was was $28K after the 26% credit.

The first year savings had I not had the powerwalls would have been $3596.40 due to not having that time shifting. The system without the powerwalls would have been $12,321. If PG&E rates never went up again, that would be $89,910 gross 25 years. Subtract the cost and that would be net $77589 savings in 25 years.

With the powerwalls, assuming that they only last 10 years and assuming PG&E rates don't go up, first 10 years is $46,587. Assuming the powerwalls flat out die on the last day of the 10 year warranty, the remaining 15 years is $53946 + the first 10 years of $46,587 = $100,533 gross minus $28K = $72533, so adding 3 powerwalls still is not as economical as solar alone unless they last for 15 years....which they probably will.

I'm pretty sure PG&E rates will go up, but let's just assume the extra savings from that is a wash from the reduction in PV efficiency. I'm also pretty sure that I will have use of my powerwalls after 10 years. I might even get 20 years of enough capacity to offset peak usage. I currently only need half of the capacity in the middle of the summer to offset all peak usage.

• Informative
Reactions: no2gates

Not always. Just reading some of the Enphase forum posts. One chap had an install and issues with CT most likely. Company told him to call Enphase. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Vines
A few days after receiving PTO I called Tesla on 888-765-2489, and choose the activation option (I can't remember what it's called exactly) and the guy I got through to asked me to forward the email from the utility confirming PTO. He confirmed receipt and within a few hours self consumption mode was removed.

Hmm that's the number I've been calling, I didn't hear an option to talk to the activations team, I have been selecting "power wall support"