Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in self consumption mode a week after granted PTO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
update: looks like I was mislead again, 24 hours left still stuck in self consumption mode. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.
Well, from your posing time stamp you have an hour left to wait, if they meant 24 hours from the phone call. ;) :D
But, the start time is relative to what they imagine it to be. :D
In truth hopefully it will be fixed soon though. But this is also relative, :eek:

Well, from your posing time stamp you have an hour left to wait, if they meant 24 hours from the phone call. ;) :D
But, the start time is relative to what they imagine it to be. :D
In truth hopefully it will be fixed soon though. But this is also relative, :eek:

I just called again, the rep on the phone said my tier 2 case is still active and that yesterday's rep only reached out to back end team and there was no troubleshooting that can be done over the phone, so it could be that the rep lied that the issue was fixed yesterday :(. I am told Tesla would email me once the system issue is fixed but I don't believe that, Tesla has never proactively emailed me on anything throughout the project...

Last edited:
Called again this morning. 1 hour in queue, 1 hour on the phone. System still not fully functioning.

What I was told is that there is a registration issue with my system so all the commands to get system out of self consumption mode isn't being directed to my system. The rep said the registration issue needs to be fixed.

Furthermore, I was told tier 2 worked on my system on Friday. Apparently they "fixed" my system but I never received a follow-up on status (like I was told). Yet when I called on Saturday the rep said tier 2 is "still working" on my case and there's nothing they can do and told me to call back on Monday. Rep told me to reset my Powerwalls, switch off the pw+ breaker and backup gateway and the solar started generating again. They should have told me to do this on Saturday so at least I don't miss out on 3 days of energy production.

As of now the app is still indicating self consumption mode.

The past 3 days my system was completely non working with zero solar so I was exposed to peak rates of EV2-A. I shouldn't have jumped the gun and switched from TOU-C to EV2-A when I got PTO granted. But who knew there would still be issues after being granted PTO.

I've been driving my Model 3 for 3+ years. Before solar, I only had good thoughts about Tesla. After my experience with Tesla Solar/Powerwall customer service due my solar project, it's left a bad taste and I'm jaded, frustrated and no longer a fan of Tesla. I'm only updating this thread so everyone can see what a mess it can be. After the issue is fixed I feel like I am no longer going to pay attention to Tesla or any of their future products for the foreseeable future. The experience I've had makes me want to just throw everything that's Tesla out the window and get something else entirely. I love the products but their customer service is the worst I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
Called again this morning. 1 hour in queue, 1 hour on the phone. System still not fully functioning.

What I was told is that there is a registration issue with my system so all the commands to get system out of self consumption mode isn't being directed to my system. The rep said the registration issue needs to be fixed.

Furthermore, I was told tier 2 worked on my system on Friday. Apparently they "fixed" my system but I never received a follow-up on status (like I was told). Yet when I called on Saturday the rep said tier 2 is "still working" on my case and there's nothing they can do and told me to call back on Monday. Rep told me to reset my Powerwalls, switch off the pw+ breaker and backup gateway and the solar started generating again. They should have told me to do this on Saturday so at least I don't miss out on 3 days of energy production.

The past 3 days my system was completely non working with zero solar so I was exposed to peak rates of EV2-A. I shouldn't have jumped the gun and switched from TOU-C to EV2-A when I got PTO granted. But who knew there would still be issues after being granted PTO.

I've been driving my Model 3 for 3+ years. Before solar, I only had good thoughts about Tesla. After my experience with Tesla Solar/Powerwall customer service due my solar project, it's left a bad taste and I'm jaded, frustrated and no longer a fan of Tesla. I'm only updating this thread so everyone can see what a mess it can be. After the issue is fixed I feel like I am no longer going to pay attention to Tesla or any of their future products for the foreseeable future. The experience I've had makes me want to just throw everything that's Tesla out the window and get something else entirely. I love the products but their customer service is the worst I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
Thanks for sharing, hope it will get resolved soon. I can imagine how frustrating this is.

I just got my system installed last week, pending inspection and PTO submission. I told Tesla that it's is only half of the battle as this point, they said it's almost the end. I told them no due of their poor follow up and long process.

Although my experience wasn’t as bad as yours, I remember being frustrated having to constantly follow up with Tesla. Hopefully this is the only issue you have and once it’s resolved, you will long forget about it. I had a power outage today and didn’t even know until my neighbor texted me, was definitely nice and makes you forget about all the issues to get to this point.

My solar installer won't answer my emails. I've asked for a status update early last week and also this weekend. No response.
They screwed up the request for the Tarriff application with Oncor, so they had to resubmit it. That wasted about a month.
I still don't think that the city has been out yet to do the inspection.
This is with SunPro, so if anyone is thinking about going with them, thinking they might be better than Tesla for installs, maybe not.

Called a few more times since Monday. One agent said the issue is "fixed" and self consumption mode would go away after 48 hours (heard this several times already). Of course as expected, nothing changed after 48 hours. Called again today and the agent said she is sending a field service agent out to look at my system in 5 days. The waiting game continues....

Reactions: no2gates
UPDATE: System is out of self consumption mode!!

After countless emails, lots of calls to support, my system is finally operating the way it should be. It took more than a month after PTO was granted. Fortunately this was sorted out before peak solar generation season. I hope I never have to contact Tesla support ever again… the sad thing is that someone was working on fixing my system, it suddenly started sending excess back to the grid in the afternoon but there was zero follow up from Tesla via call or email acknowledging the system is finally working.

Unless you’re lucky where you’re system was registered without issues, the lesson is that PTO is NOT the last step…

Good luck everyone!

After countless emails, lots of calls to support, my system is finally operating the way it should be. It took more than a month after PTO was granted. Fortunately this was sorted out before peak solar generation season. I hope I never have to contact Tesla support ever again… the sad thing is that someone was working on fixing my system, it suddenly started sending excess back to the grid in the afternoon but there was zero follow up from Tesla via call or email acknowledging the system is finally working.

Unless you’re lucky where you’re system was registered without issues, the lesson is that PTO is NOT the last step…

Good luck everyone!
Any info what the issue was that caused your problems?

Good luck everyone!
Hi, I am having the same issue here. Before PTO my system was at peak doing 5.5kw and after PTO it’s still at 5.5kw. My system is a 10.8kw.
Sunny days here in California, no blocking of anything. I can export. Gateway shows self consumption mode and I believe this is the reason why the solar panels are not producing at full capacity

Hi, I am having the same issue here. Before PTO my system was at peak doing 5.5kw and after PTO it’s still at 5.5kw. My system is a 10.8kw.
Sunny days here in California, no blocking of anything. I can export. Gateway shows self consumption mode and I believe this is the reason why the solar panels are not producing at full capacity
I'm not disputing that you have an issue, but peak power production is not the best way to look at the issue. In self consumption mode the solar will produce at full power or the maximum power the PWs can accept until the PWs reach close to 100% and then will be throttled down. If this happens in the afternoon you still can hit your peak power production. Best to look at total energy production for the day or power production as a function of time and look for evidence of throttling.

Depending on your panel orientations 5.5 kW peak is not out of the realm of normal for a system your size this time of year.

I would call your installer or Tesla to address the issue.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I bel
I'm not disputing that you have an issue, but peak power production is not the best way to look at the issue. In self consumption mode the solar will produce at full power or the maximum power the PWs can accept until the PWs reach close to 100% and then will be throttled down. If this happens in the afternoon you still can hit your peak power production. Best to look at total energy production for the day or power production as a function of time and look for evidence of throttling.

Depending on your panel orientations 5.5 kW peak is not out of the realm of normal for a system your size this time of year.

I would call your installer or Tesla to address the issue.
I believe that the system in self powered mode will supply the house, recharge the battery if enough solar is left over until battery is at 100%. Then, any over generation beyond what house needs with battery at 100%, will go into the grid, not throttle down. That would happen if grid is down at the same time as the excess has no other place to go. Then, with prolonged grid down, sun still wants to produce, house would get energy from battery, discharge a bit then resume solar generation. Back and forth like this until grid is back up or no more sun energy.

While your system size is based on total panel ratings, generation may be limited by inverter size. Of course, it is still winter and sun arc is still low.