Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in snow? Turn off traction control to get traction.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turning off traction control is how you do it for all cars, even AWD. I've had three WRX, two with TCS, and even with snow tires on you still turn off "VDC" to get out of deep snow or to do donuts bc the computer kills engine power as it senses slipping. You need the slip and engine power to give your tires the torque to claw out of the snow.

Can someone try to disable traction control and confirm what I am seeing? For some reason (I don't really know why), I tried to disable traction control this morning. I get the confirmation dialog, and select the disable button, but the slider resets itself to "ON" a second or two later.

I got stuck in a snowbank last winter (with Hakka R2's on 19's), and the only way I could get out is by shutting off traction control. The only thing that's changed since last winter is swapping to summer wheels (PSS on 21's) and an upgrade from 8.0 (2.52.22) to 8.1 (17.14.23)

If this is a new "feature" of 8.1, it's unacceptable.

Can someone try to disable traction control and confirm what I am seeing? For some reason (I don't really know why), I tried to disable traction control this morning. I get the confirmation dialog, and select the disable button, but the slider resets itself to "ON" a second or two later.

I got stuck in a snowbank last winter (with Hakka R2's on 19's), and the only way I could get out is by shutting off traction control. The only thing that's changed since last winter is swapping to summer wheels (PSS on 21's) and an upgrade from 8.0 (2.52.22) to 8.1 (17.14.23)

Each software release is a magic 8 ball of code. I got stuck in a mediocre amount of snow on my current build.*edit or was it the last build? Who knows, but I'm not downgrading my car anymore.

After contacting [email protected], the local service center pushed down the latest firmware, 8.1(17.18.50), which fixes the "can't disable traction control" bug I saw.