Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in snow, wheels spin wildly, hub goes flying

Teefal

Aug 11, 2020
Bethlehem PA USA
Got my Y stuck a car length out of my garage. (Don't ask, I'm stupid)

Hoped to rock back and forth to get free. Instead my front wheels spin wildly ... really really fast with just a tap on the accelerator. So fast that the hub cap came off and went flying.

Obviously, my front is in the air. And yes, I was using slip start, though they spin like this without (in reverse oddly enough).

So aside from a ruined hub cap, what's the deal here? Why is a quick tap on the accelerator making it spin like 40mph? I have to brake almost immediately after tapping the "gas" (tapping the amps?)

Also, great new snow tires, fyi. Must touch ground, I suppose ;)

(Another question ... why are there no general driving forums? This is probably not a Y question.)

Last edited:

BLH17

Jun 18, 2020
Michigan
Dang..well if the front is floating that wheel is gonna be spinning like crazy I guess!

I haven't had to use slip start yet but meant to play with it a couple weeks ago...

rijc99

Sep 23, 2020
Irvine OC, FEMA Region 9
When your tire is on the ground it is being pushed down by the weigh of your car against the asphalt. When it’s in the air there is nothing slowing the motor down. It’s full torque with nothing restricting the movement.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC