Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck in the snow with all season tires, over and over again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Michelin Xi3s on the S85 and Hakka R2s on the P85D. Both are excellent winter tires, though IMO the Hakkas are a hair better in really slick conditions and a tad less squidgy on dry pavement under hard acceleration. If you can get an end-of-the-season deal, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a set of either marque.

What about keeping the all seasons but carry a set of chains in the winter? Seems like less of a hassle than changing out tires if the problem is an occasional situation where road conditions mean you need better traction but 99% of your winter driving is on dry or wet roads. I too have been frustrated by poor performance of All-Season Michelin's on a few days this winter but not quite enough to buy a set of snow tires in Northern Virginia.

I echo what everyone else has said about snow tires, though I will also say that I don't really think the Model S is any better in the snow than a similarly sized ICE car. A lot of ink has been spilled about it's TC system, which supposedly works better than similar systems on ICE cars because of the immediacy of the torque.

I just haven't found that to be true. The TC is certainly better than first generation systems like the one I had on my E46 M3, but it doesn't do anything particularly better or different than the system I had on my last RWD BMW (an E90 M3). In fact, that car was probably better in the snow than the Model S because it had an honest-to-god mechanical limited slip differential.

I went through our first snow storm this year on the OEM Michelin all seasons, and ordered a set of snow tires as soon as I could after that. The snow tires I ordered (Dunlop Wintersports, which were the only thing in stock at Tire Rack) are certainly better than the Michelins, though still kind of middling when it comes to real snow.

For perspective, my other car (an AWD Golf running OEM all-season Pirelli Neros) is much, much better in the snow than the Model S on Dunlop Wintersports.

... I too have been frustrated by poor performance of All-Season Michelin's on a few days this winter but not quite enough to buy a set of snow tires in Northern Virginia.

Do you mean the original equipment All-Season Michelin Primacy MXM4's? The OP now has Michelin Pilot A/S 3's, which are rated better in wet and dry, but worse on snow and ice than the OEM tires.

There's a reason "all-seasons" are illegal during winter in the nordic countries... Only proper winter tyres are legal to drive with...

Quebec has made winter tires mandatory, but I believe it is the only Canadian province to do so. I think it's a great idea and it would seem that winter accident statistics would support it. Some insurance companies offer discounts for users of winter tires, but unfortunately mine does not.

It's a safety concern
Not only winter tires are better in ice and snow conditions, they are far more superior in dry and wet when temperatures are around or below freezing
Your car will stop sooner/shorter in these situations

P.S. I'm extremely happy with Michelins Xi3 tires, car is really a tank

See Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 Snow Tire Report - Page 6, where I compared acceleration and deceleration (braking) before and after changing from the stock 19" Michelin Primacy all-seasons to Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires.

On good-traction, fresh, packed powder, I measured about 0.4 g's with the Hakka R2's, and 0.28 g with the stock all-seasons. That is an improvement in traction of almost 50% from the all-seasons to the winter tires. On ice, I am sure that there would have been a bigger percentage difference, further arguing for winter tires.