Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck inside my car right now: software update is stalled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the middle of installing 2020.4.1

The car’s screen says “Software updating to 2020.4.1” and below says “Updating Autopilot”

It has been like this for about 45 minutes with no progress

I am sitting inside my car and stuck inside my car

I unplugged the TeslaCam USB and locked and closed the doors before starting the update

Any advice on what to do?

I am in the middle of installing 2020.4.1

The car’s screen says “Software updating to 2020.4.1” and below says “Updating Autopilot”

It has been like this for about 45 minutes with no progress

I am sitting inside my car and stuck inside my car

I unplugged the TeslaCam USB and locked and closed the doors before starting the update

Any advice on what to do?

Pull the manual release lever and get out, first of all (your not stuck).

Wow

I am stupid

I have never used that lever, only the button

I am no longer stuck

Software update is stuck however

I did an update on a roadtrip while we stopped for a kid potty break - felt like a good idea at the time. And it seemed like it froze. Started to get worried as we were a long way from home and the car seemed dead/unresponsive... then about 20 mins later it came back to life

Reactions: drdumont
I did an update on a roadtrip while we stopped for a kid potty break - felt like a good idea at the time. And it seemed like it froze. Started to get worried as we were a long way from home and the car seemed dead/unresponsive... then about 20 mins later it came back to life
Do you do OS updates to your computer while on the road too? You must love living on the edge.

Only do software updates starting at 22:00 or so and not when you have to be somewhere first thing in the morning.

Took about an hour but it did finish

It’s sure as heck a big update for no new features

2.5 GB? Wtf?!

I think when I saw a screen with the update downloading (forgot what percentage) it said Maps. I'm sure that would account for a large percentage of data.

This was the first time ever I've been in my car and saw the yellow software download icon on the top of the screen (as opposed to the yellow clock). Guess it's always downloaded updates when I've been out of the car or asleep at night.