Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck on 2021.36.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
I have a October build MYP (VIN 266) that seems stuck on 2021.36.8. 2021.40.5 has been out for weeks and recently 2021.44.5 released, yet no updates. I am not on factory hold firmware and have received OTA updates in the past. Anyone else in this situation?

Reactions: sparty96
I only wish I was still on factory hold firmware. AP was perfect on factory firmware from Aug 2021 and maybe 1-2 phantom braking incident in 5 weeks. Honestly at the time I thought Tesla really nailed it with vision only after 2.5 years with a 2019 SR+. I'm at the point now that unless the new firmware release notes explicitly say "Improved AP..." I couldn't care less for the rest. I not giving on my my Y but some folks clearly are fed up to sell it.

Upvote 0
I’m also stuck at 2021.36.8. Took delivery of MYLR late Oct. I have advanced set. Have been sitting in the garage multiple times per day connected to WIFI trying to force an update. No luck. Does Tesla put holds or pull upgrades based on know issues? Has anyone else recently received an upgrade to 2021.40.x?

Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
In the same boat. MY VIN x45xxx, 2021.36.5.1.

It's very frustrating to see that there are multiple updates available with no way of determining why you're not getting them. But Tesla trained us well, we got used to the delay/lack of communication/etc. during the purchase process and/or the service process, so this is nothing new.

I don't drive very many miles, sometimes not for days, I'm wondering if that comes into play in the Tesla software distribution algorithm.

Reactions: sparty96
Upvote 0
In the same boat. MY VIN x45xxx, 2021.36.5.1.

It's very frustrating to see that there are multiple updates available with no way of determining why you're not getting them. But Tesla trained us well, we got used to the delay/lack of communication/etc. during the purchase process and/or the service process, so this is nothing new.

I don't drive very many miles, sometimes not for days, I'm wondering if that comes into play in the Tesla software distribution algorithm.
I’m a stuck on 36.8 as well. I took delivery on 9/25. Received an update 2 weeks later and then another the very next day. But nothing since then. Frustrating

Upvote 0
Oooh I dream of upgrading to 2021.36. You’re lucky! I’m stuck on 2021.35.102! (Nov 2022 model)
New cars get their first update within a month, so you'll see it really soon. The people here aren't blocked by new car firmware, but by something else. Lots of us are stuck on 2021.36.5.1, 2021.36.5.5, 2021.36.5.8 and 2021.36.8.

It really sucks when everyone you know has 40.6 with live sentry, and you're stuck for 2 months without updates. Tesla offers no explanation aside for their typical "your vehicle is on the latest firmware available for its configuration" nonsense.

Absolutely zero transparency.

I have to browse this forum to discover how 40.6 has major issues with audio and charge port door. When I think about that, then I find that sitting on 36.x as being acceptable. I don't want to break my charge port door, and I most definitely don't want to go to their service center. All they have to say is "we've stopped rolling out 40.6 due to several issues discovered in the firmware" and people will back off, but apparently they are incapable of doing so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
See my professional thoughts on this topic in

"Stuck on 36.5.5"

And please, once and for all can everyone stop worrying about software releases.

🥴
Not worried. Happy with almost everything. But some better explanation could help.

So in 40 or so there's an audio issue? What? That's amateur hour. Charging door issue? Same.

I get it, roll out updates to a small group, check for issues, fix them, roll out wider when OK. But then when does a dot update become stable and released?

They try to roll out new upgrades along side old bug fixes, so the overlapping alpha/beta/release states of dozens of features essentially negate each other and create a perpetual state of sh**show.

Put a stake in the ground, stop adding anything new until all the existing bugs are worked out, and release a clean version that is an official live and available to everyone at the same time.

Then sure, allow the adventurous to play with beta features, but even then, one should always be able to revert to the last stable release, maybe with some extra effort (turn off development mode or something).

This is just really sloppy and chaotic.

Saying it's complicated and depends on market and individual car configurations is a cop out.

Upvote 0
Oh Snap,
You caught me.

Whining online about not getting a software release is so much better.
Trillion dollar company. Can't deal with software release 101.

Not a cop out for you, cop out for Tesla. And I'm not whining about missing features, I'm criticizing Tesla for incompetent software update process.

I could give a sh** what features I have. I said I was fine with it.

(And I'm partly just venting my frustration. Only owned the car 2 months and 12 days. I'm a total newb)

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyonero
Upvote 0