Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck on 2021.36.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
I have a October build MYP (VIN 266) that seems stuck on 2021.36.8. 2021.40.5 has been out for weeks and recently 2021.44.5 released, yet no updates. I am not on factory hold firmware and have received OTA updates in the past. Anyone else in this situation?

Reactions: sparty96
Trillion dollar company. Can't deal with software release 101.

Not a cop out for you, cop out for Tesla. And I'm not whining about missing features, I'm criticizing Tesla for incompetent software update process.

I could give a sh** what features I have. I said I was fine with it.

(And I'm partly just venting my frustration. Only owned the car 2 months and 12 days. I'm a total newb)
OK,
Then listen to reason and chill...

• Tesla has issues, but timely release of basline software is not one of them. It's designed this way to insure everyone's safety. You can test all you want in-house, but until its gets into the hands a groups in the wild, your tests are just tests in a perfect world.

• Monitoring of small groups starts a feedback loop whereby bugs are identified, classified and incorporated into minor branch releases.

• Multiple Autopilot versions exist in the wild. The latest is 3.0. Different hardware, different software, different priorities.

• Every Quarter adds 250,000 cars to the software distribution hierarchy. That must be a beast to incorporate, schedule, and distribute world-wide

Bottom line...
It's not the cluster-$%¿k many people believe. It's by design, and the longer it takes for you to receive, the fewer bugs you will have.

If you're still irritated, then well,
Happy holidays!
I hope Santa brings you 2021.44

Upvote 0
I have a October build MYP (VIN 266) that seems stuck on 2021.36.8. 2021.40.5 has been out for weeks and recently 2021.44.5 released, yet no updates. I am not on factory hold firmware and have received OTA updates in the past. Anyone else in this situation?
You are not doing too badly. My 2020 3 has not had an update for nearly 5 months and I am stuck way back on 2021.12.25.7! All the while seems every other 3 has has updated. According to Tesla there are no updates for my VIN. My car sits in a cohort of <0.1% of the Teslafi 3 fleet. It does start to get frustrating when I know there are numerous interface tweaks that I would actually use & there is not obvious reason why my car should be missing out. Unfortunately there is F all I can do about it but wait.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
So glad that I'm not the only one. I've had my Model Y since April 2020 and never had an issue with getting recent updates.

I was in the FSD Beta for a short time and then opted out. They were quick to send a production build back to my car, but now I've been stuck on 2021.36.5.8 since 11/17/21 while most everyone I know has gone on to 2021.38.x or now 2021.40.x.

I've contacted [email protected] with no response. The local SC said I have "the latest version available to me". So frustrating to not even know a reason why.

Upvote 0
So glad that I'm not the only one. I've had my Model Y since April 2020 and never had an issue with getting recent updates.

I was in the FSD Beta for a short time and then opted out. They were quick to send a production build back to my car, but now I've been stuck on 2021.36.5.8 since 11/17/21 while most everyone I know has gone on to 2021.38.x or now 2021.40.x.

I've contacted [email protected] with no response. The local SC said I have "the latest version available to me". So frustrating to not even know a reason why.
Yep, same boat on my Plaid - It's like we were blackballed.

Upvote 0
My MYP was delivered on 9/1 and I'm still on 36.8. But I do have the sentry mode live view in my app. I look forward to having the waypoints at some point, but since my car got rear ended and is at a body shop right now, I have no idea when I'll get it back. So hopefully when I finally get the car back the next update won't be too far away.

Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
That's exactly what happened to me as well. It's clearly related to FSD Beta. Wrote multiple emails to [email protected] and went completely ignored. I spoke with a service rep over the phone who told me that they slowly build up your firmware after downgrading back to avoid issues, but how true this is I don't know. It could have been made up to get me off the phone. Only the fsd beta people know the real reason for why these vehicles aren't receiving updates after downgrading.

Just keep emailing them until they reply.

Really regret applying for the beta. If I knew they would have pulled this after opting out, I would have just stayed away from the start.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's exactly what happened to me as well. It's clearly related to FSD Beta. Wrote multiple emails to [email protected] and went completely ignored. I spoke with a service rep over the phone who told me that they slowly build up your firmware after downgrading back to avoid issues, but how true this is I don't know. It could have been made up to get me off the phone. Only the fsd beta people know the real reason for why these vehicles aren't receiving updates after downgrading.

Just keep emailing them until they reply.

Really regret applying for the beta. If I knew they would have pulled this after opting out, I would have just stayed away from the start.
Same. A real PITA.

Upvote 0
OK,
Then listen to reason and chill...

• Tesla has issues, but timely release of basline software is not one of them. It's designed this way to insure everyone's safety. You can test all you want in-house, but until its gets into the hands a groups in the wild, your tests are just tests in a perfect world.

• Monitoring of small groups starts a feedback loop whereby bugs are identified, classified and incorporated into minor branch releases.

• Multiple Autopilot versions exist in the wild. The latest is 3.0. Different hardware, different software, different priorities.

• Every Quarter adds 250,000 cars to the software distribution hierarchy. That must be a beast to incorporate, schedule, and distribute world-wide

Bottom line...
It's not the cluster-$%¿k many people believe. It's by design, and the longer it takes for you to receive, the fewer bugs you will have.

If you're still irritated, then well,
Happy holidays!
I hope Santa brings you 2021.44
I agree with all your points about the growing monumental task Tesla has.

If the distribution is by design (which I'm sure it is) at the very least Tesla should be explaining that design to us, we're all (mostly) adults. If we understand the reason, there would be a lot more patience. But as we all know, communication is not Tesla's strong suit and this frustration on software releases is just a symptom of that lack.

My example - the last time I was updated, I was not updated to the latest (theoretically less buggy) software, but some intermediate version. Was 2021.32.xx, got updated to 2021.36.xx when there were 2021.38 AND 2021.40 available. At the very least I should have been brought up to 2021.38.xx since Tesla had moved on to 2021.40 already.

MY 2020 Sept del. VIN xxx48xx

Upvote 0
Not everyone has the most recent software version since they roll it out slowly in batches. Not the answer people want, but it's how the process works. I'm on 2021.36.8 currently. I would love an update too, but it will come when it is supposed to. There is no reason to waste time complaining to Tesla.

Upvote 0
Not everyone has the most recent software version since they roll it out slowly in batches. Not the answer people want, but it's how the process works. I'm on 2021.36.8 currently. I would love an update too, but it will come when it is supposed to. There is no reason to waste time complaining to Tesla.

Yes there is reason to complain. Not everyone is getting "batched".
By this I mean there are cars that are cars that go many months and even a year without an update. If there is a logical reason for this then flag it. In my case my car has gone 5 months without an update and there have been thirty two software revisions since 2021.12.25.7 was released. Telsafi flags several hundred cars in my location that are in a similar configuration and all except for mine have updated to 2021.40.x variants. At very least Tesla should do a better job of explaining the reason for the delay for the few who get stuck waiting outside of the batching.

Upvote 0
I agree with all your points about the growing monumental task Tesla has.

If the distribution is by design (which I'm sure it is) at the very least Tesla should be explaining that design to us, we're all (mostly) adults. If we understand the reason, there would be a lot more patience. But as we all know, communication is not Tesla's strong suit and this frustration on software releases is just a symptom of that lack.

My example - the last time I was updated, I was not updated to the latest (theoretically less buggy) software, but some intermediate version. Was 2021.32.xx, got updated to 2021.36.xx when there were 2021.38 AND 2021.40 available. At the very least I should have been brought up to 2021.38.xx since Tesla had moved on to 2021.40 already.

MY 2020 Sept del. VIN xxx48xx

And we come full circle reaching the same conclusion as countless Tesla issues that came before...lousy communication.

I made career of software development, and I too would like to know how how Tesla renders their releases! The YYYY/WW/xx.xx format is unconventional. It does not follow the traditional Version/Trunk/Branch format. I'm sure it's not by accident public release designations are kept vague. Most likely because people like us want to know what's going on. 😏

Yep, if we knew that a particular release was for a Shanghai MY vs. a Fremont MY, that would be useful. How does "country of use figure" into the equation or does it? Does the Pacific NW get cold weather software improvements before Florida? What about the multiple Autopilot versions?

TeslaFi gives some insight into where releases are going, but it's far from perfect. I'm just having a blast with my car. The software will show up whenever it does.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Yes there is reason to complain. Not everyone is getting "batched".
By this I mean there are cars that are cars that go many months and even a year without an update. If there is a logical reason for this then flag it. In my case my car has gone 5 months without an update and there have been thirty two software revisions since 2021.12.25.7 was released. Telsafi flags several hundred cars in my location that are in a similar configuration and all except for mine have updated to 2021.40.x variants. At very least Tesla should do a better job of explaining the reason for the delay for the few who get stuck waiting outside of the batching.
Of course in the case of people like you who are truly stuck it is a reason to complain. Sorry that you have to deal with that. I was referring to people on recent versions who are saying they are going to call Tesla because they aren't on the most recent version after waiting a few weeks.

Upvote 0
See my professional thoughts on this topic in

"Stuck on 36.5.5"

And please, once and for all can everyone stop worrying about software releases.

🥴

The 50+ threads on this topic, with a new one started every 2 ish days or so, as well as my experience being on TMC basically daily since Dec 2018 say "no, people will continue to post questions about software releases, even though there is nothing they can do about it" (lol)

As for the comment in the thread earlier about being stuck because of some "hodgepodge set of components", I have no idea, but my 2018 Model 3 Performance (MFG date Nov 15 2018, delevered to me on Dec 4 2018) is still on 2021.36.5.1.... which I am NOT complaining about, just saying "no matter how people spin it, sometimes you just have to wait, and its not just your car that is somehow singled out".

Upvote 0
The 50+ threads on this topic, with a new one started every 2 ish days or so, as well as my experience being on TMC basically daily since Dec 2018 say "no, people will continue to post questions about software releases, even though there is nothing they can do about it" (lol)

As for the comment in the thread earlier about being stuck because of some "hodgepodge set of components", I have no idea, but my 2018 Model 3 Performance (MFG date Nov 15 2018, delevered to me on Dec 4 2018) is still on 2021.36.5.1.... which I am NOT complaining about, just saying "no matter how people spin it, sometimes you just have to wait, and its not just your car that is somehow singled out".
My June 2019 3 was once behind on updates (aka “stuck”) so I messaged Tesla via the app. Turns out it truly was “stuck” as Tesla cleared the “buffer” and pushed more current firmware, so there’s that, “stuck” example…. “Waiting” would not have done nothing to clear the download buffer… required action on Tesla’s part.

Reactions: Canyonero
Upvote 0
My June 2019 3 was once behind on updates (aka “stuck”) so I messaged Tesla via the app. Turns out it truly was “stuck” as Tesla cleared the “buffer” and pushed more current firmware, so there’s that, “stuck” example…. “Waiting” would not have done nothing to clear the download buffer… required action on Tesla’s part.

That happens, but not nearly as much as people say "Im stuck:" because it hasnt been pushed to their car yet. In fact, for the people that are ACTUALLY "stuck" all the people messaging tesla about it have made it more difficult. Because so many people put in service requests for this, tesla people probably dont even check individual cars anymore when people report this, they just tell them "wait".

Kind of like battery degradation complaints. Tesla completely ignores people when they even start talking about battery degradation, in large part because so many people erroneously contact them about it, they have completely shut down when someone starts talking about it.

I dont work for Tesla, but I am saying this as a person who has either worked in, or managed, people who provide IT support my entire life. If 500 people submit requests for something that is not correct, when that 501st person who actually has an issue submits a request, its human nature that they will likely be ignored.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
That happens, but not nearly as much as people say "Im stuck:" because it hasnt been pushed to their car yet. In fact, for the people that are ACTUALLY "stuck" all the people messaging tesla about it have made it more difficult. Because so many people put in service requests for this, tesla people probably dont even check individual cars anymore when people report this, they just tell them "wait".

Kind of like battery degradation complaints. Tesla completely ignores people when they even start talking about battery degradation, in large part because so many people erroneously contact them about it, they have completely shut down when someone starts talking about it.

I dont work for Tesla, but I am saying this as a person who has either worked in, or managed, people who provide IT support my entire life. If 500 people submit requests for something that is not correct, when that 501st person who actually has an issue submits a request, its human nature that they will likely be ignored.
How would people know if they had a clogged buffer or not, without asking? There’s no standard “waiting time” to determine real “sticks” vs. impatient people thinking they are stuck, right?

Reactions: Canyonero
Upvote 0