Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stuck on 2021.36.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
I have a October build MYP (VIN 266) that seems stuck on 2021.36.8. 2021.40.5 has been out for weeks and recently 2021.44.5 released, yet no updates. I am not on factory hold firmware and have received OTA updates in the past. Anyone else in this situation?

Reactions: sparty96
I realized my car wasn't connected to wifi this morning and reconnected it and immediately got 2021.44.6. I wonder if my issue this whole time has been lack of connectivity. I have a range extender next to my garage specifically for the Tesla. It got unplugged temporarily a while ago so I wonder if it just didn't automatically reconnect once it was plugged back in.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
@cgell Maybe, but I have had 44.6 on the Plaid for some time. I doubt the holiday package was ready back then.
The holiday package sounds cool and I am looking forward to it, but I was really just looking forward to the defrost working without turning the heat on full blast. After updating it still blasts and I can’t adjust without the defrost turning off. At least Tidal works - and sounds way better than Spotify.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
I have a October build MYP (VIN 266) that seems stuck on 2021.36.8. 2021.40.5 has been out for weeks and recently 2021.44.5 released, yet no updates. I am not on factory hold firmware and have received OTA updates in the past. Anyone else in this situation?
Just got 2021.44.6 this morning. Waypoints are great, but the exterior voice thing failed to freak out a friend of mine walking up to the house, had high hopes for that.

2.5 months since last update.

Upvote 0
2.5 months on 36.5.5, which teslafi shows as 2% of fleet.

So I give it a couple weeks and say I'm stuck?

IDK, car drives great, more phantom braking on I 90 clear days no shadows than I'd like. (2x per hour). Late afternoon shadows, maybe 5x per mile.

So, what to do? Nothing for now I guess.
I am in the 2% as well then haha, feeling special.
I don't think the whole regional software release thing is true(I could be wrong) but I have two Y's in my garage both Vision only, and below are my versions.
21 MYLR stuck on 36.5.5
22 MYP had three updates since delivered few weeks ago, and this morning 44.6

My 5-year-old is on my a$$ everyday asking me if the MYLR has the live sentry cam yet, I mean EVERYDAY he is bugging me about it hahaha

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond
Upvote 0
I am in the 2% as well then haha, feeling special.
I don't think the whole regional software release thing is true(I could be wrong) but I have two Y's in my garage both Vision only, and below are my versions.
21 MYLR stuck on 36.5.5
22 MYP had three updates since delivered few weeks ago, and this morning 44.6

On average my updates come every 60 days sometimes sometimes it arrives 50 days in but not more than 70 days.
One of them came back to back but I believe it's a bug fix.
As for the performance you just got delivered, that's awesome. We were stuck on the factory version for quite some time last year.
The consensus appears to be 44.6 being a required base for the holiday update.

Reactions: SMR514 and jebinc
Upvote 0
For the first time, my October 2021 MYLR said that an update was available! So it started the update process from 2021.35.102 to 2021.44.6 yesterday morning. However, it is still only about 10% finished with the download (based on the little green progress bar). It seemed to stop when the car goes to sleep. If I sit in the car and keep it awake for an hour, the progress bar will move a couple of pixels. The manual says to make sure that the A/C is not ON, DOG, nor CAMP, so I did that. A couple of hours ago I turned on Sentry Mode since I know that keeps the car awake but it didn't seem to help.

At this point, it is at 10%, the rate says 1.3 MB/s, and progress is slow. I may just have to sit in the car for 6-8 hours to hurry it along. Does anyone know a way to get the green progress bar to keep moving? Or in the very least how to tell it to do the update WITHOUT using WiFi. The cell connection is faster...

Thanks,

Scott

PS yes, I live in the country and have lousy internet. Dishy just arrived two days ago, but I'm still waiting for the ethernet adapter to arrive before I can install it.

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Upvote 0
For the first time, my October 2021 MYLR said that an update was available! So it started the update process from 2021.35.102 to 2021.44.6 yesterday morning. However, it is still only about 10% finished with the download (based on the little green progress bar). It seemed to stop when the car goes to sleep. If I sit in the car and keep it awake for an hour, the progress bar will move a couple of pixels. The manual says to make sure that the A/C is not ON, DOG, nor CAMP, so I did that. A couple of hours ago I turned on Sentry Mode since I know that keeps the car awake but it didn't seem to help.

At this point, it is at 10%, the rate says 1.3 MB/s, and progress is slow. I may just have to sit in the car for 6-8 hours to hurry it along. Does anyone know a way to get the green progress bar to keep moving? Or in the very least how to tell it to do the update WITHOUT using WiFi. The cell connection is faster...

Thanks,

Scott

PS yes, I live in the country and have lousy internet. Dishy just arrived two days ago, but I'm still waiting for the ethernet adapter to arrive before I can install it.

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
My two cents
First I would tether the car to a cell phone if you have better service with a phone.

Second turn on sentury mode, the car won't sleep in sentury.

Then give it the old two finger salute to reboot it, I bet it will finish.

Upvote 0

Thanks,

Scott

--

You need to use wifi to download the update. If you don’t have wifi access you can use your phone as a hotspot and connect to it. You can not use the car’s LTE connection.

Upvote 0
Yes, I already have Sentry Mode on (for the past 4 hours) and WiFi is on. My home just has crummy internet. Perhaps I need to drive to StarBucks and use their WiFi? How large is this update?

At this point, I'm about at 15% progress.

Scott

--

Upvote 0
Yes, I already have Sentry Mode on (for the past 4 hours) and WiFi is on. My home just has crummy internet. Perhaps I need to drive to StarBucks and use their WiFi? How large is this update?

At this point, I'm about at 15% progress.

Scott

--

took me about 30 minutes (??? more or less) to down load this morning at 450 MB/s. My wifi cut off for some reason half way through, so I connected to the hot spot on my phone to finish it.

Reactions: e645824
Upvote 0
took me about 30 minutes (??? more or less) to down load this morning at 450 MB/s. My wifi cut off for some reason half way through, so I connected to the hot spot on my phone to finish it.
Are you sure about those numbers? 450 MB/s * 1800 seconds = 810 GB. But the fastest WiFi, 802.11ac, tops out at 433 Mbps.

Even at 433 Mbps * 1800 seconds / 8 b/B, that is 97GB. That seems like a big number for firmware; even if maps/games/etc. are included.

Perhaps the Tesla download thing is quoting the peak number not the continuous number? i.e. mine varies between 1.3 MB/s and 1.5 MB/s; but watching my router I can see that things are happening in spurts. My crummy internet doesn't support a continuous 1.3 MB/s.

Thanks,

Scott

--

Upvote 0